Candidates for the OC position

Good take but in defense of Hawkinstl, he stated that Iowa's offense sucks. Now, if Iowa doesn't have Phil, Lavar and the production of the defense and special teams, Iowa is no where near 38 wins. The question arises, do you give KF credit for having those coaches in place or do you give PP and Lavar credit for what they have done coaching up the players and their units?

I'm on the fence about KF and can see both sides. This is why I'm fine if he decides to retire and also admittedly nervous thinking of him leaving, because I realize where Iowa could fall to as a team. People have to realize we are closer to being an Indiana than we are of being a Michigan.
We’re closer to being Indiana than Michigan? Really? I would argue that Michigan has been closer to being an Indiana more recently than Iowa has. Remember 2020? Michigan was afraid to play us. Sorry we have Covid. We’re going to stay home and wipe our little noses. Stop with the we’re just little old Iowa. We have no business trying to compete with Michigan. Our defense dominated their offense. We are one OC away from kicking their butts. Kirks been great but this mindset is what’s killing us. We would be competing for national championships if our offense was average but Kirk is satisfied with a winning season. He needs to hang out with the Brands brothers. They want to take on the universe.

Rest easy, hawkinstl, I got put on the ignore list for having the audacity to suggest that per chance the WHO was erroneous when they claimed the Germ had a 3.4% fatality rate back in March of 2020.

No worries. I'll be hurt for maybe 1 second if I get ignored.

I've been a Hawk fan since Jim Jensen back in the early/mid 70's. Seen some hard times for sure.

I've defended KF in prior years, but not anymore. Will always be a Hawk fan and watch the games, but also reserve the right to tell it like it is when it comes to his offensive philosophy.

I've only knocked 1 player this year and that's Deacon Hill and that's because he's a terrible D1 QB. He's not even good enough to be a D3 QB. He has a strong arm and that's his only positive. And it's not accurate on most throws.

Ok, I'll be back for the bowl game.

I have seen Wyoming OC Tim Polasek thrown out there. Polasek was the OL coach at Iowa from 2017-2020 which overlaps with Brian's best years as the OC.

Iowa's offensive decline started in 2021, and got even worse in 2022 when KOK left and Brian was made the QB coach. Maybe it's all a coincidence, but I have a hunch Brian was leaning on both Polesak and KOK heavily for support. When they both left, Brian just seemed lost.
100% on the money!!

We’re closer to being Indiana than Michigan? Really? I would argue that Michigan has been closer to being an Indiana more recently than Iowa has. Remember 2020? Michigan was afraid to play us. Sorry we have Covid. We’re going to stay home and wipe our little noses. Stop with the we’re just little old Iowa. We have no business trying to compete with Michigan. Our defense dominated their offense. We are one OC away from kicking their butts. Kirks been great but this mindset is what’s killing us. We would be competing for national championships if our offense was average but Kirk is satisfied with a winning season. He needs to hang out with the Brands brothers. They want to take on the universe.
You are just whistling past the graveyard my friend. tOSU, Michigan, Pedo State, USC are elite FB programs. While Iowa might win some of these games, those schools will usually be favored and usually win.

Here are some actual facts:

1. Small population, split with two states. What it means-Iowa doesn't create very many four- and five-star recruits. If every state breeds the same rate of 4/5*s, Pennsylvania will generate more than three times as Iowa, Ohio, about three times Iowa, Michigan about 3 times, Minnesota-fortunately they don't prioritize football, nor does Illinois because we are much smaller, Indiana is at least twice as big as Iowa and Wisconsin is almost twice as big. You see how that ratio inherently makes it harder to recruit at Iowa.

All four Pac 10 teams come from more heavily populated states than Iowa. How many millions of people live within a hundred mile arc from San Diego to north of LA? A lot more millions than live in Iowa.

2. Small school. Iowa doesn't graduate very large classes, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State (not a better program than Iowa) Pedo St., Bucky, Oregon, and UCLA all have larger to multiples larger classes than Iowa. That means their alum pools grow faster to exponentially faster than Iowa. Those are your attendance and small to large donor pools and, in time your major individual donors. You understand how Iowa falls farther behind in living donating alumni of around 8 BIG schools every year i.

3. Not a BB. Iowa has nowhere near BB status. Not close. tOSU, Pedo St., Michigan, USC are permanent BBs. Washington is kind of a low-end BB. Oregon, another really dirty school can now have Nike buy players through the NIL. They have a budget like an NFL team once the NIL money is added back into the overall operating budget. These schools usually bury Iowa in recruiting.

4. No urban access. The biggest money for NIL and the schools is found in large cities. The deep corporate sponsors, corporate and millionaire donor classes typically live in large cities. Iowa is close to DSM, which is probably the smallest "city" in the Big Ten, and Iowa has to share with the goat ropers for DSM money. I'm assuming that that Portland is still an incorporated city and Seattle has not become its own democratic communist republic, like Ukraine. even Purdue and Indiana have access to Indianapolis, Cincy, Chicago, etc... Black Rock and Buffet had kept Omaha holding its own population. Where does Iowa go to find those very deep pocket donors?

These are the major problems that face every Iowa coach. Coaching attitude or visible enthusiasm does not put money in the bank, millions and millions of more dollars in the bank.

Picking isolated games or seasons ignores the real-world big picture. The things that make Ferentz great has been the doing more with less. We knock those BBs off now and again, some entire seasons turn our way but never all in a season. Take a view of the last 60 years of Iowa football and count the wins against Michigan and tOSU.

You are just whistling past the graveyard my friend. tOSU, Michigan, Pedo State, USC are elite FB programs. While Iowa might win some of these games, those schools will usually be favored and usually win.

Here are some actual facts:

1. Small population, split with two states. What it means-Iowa doesn't create very many four- and five-star recruits. If every state breeds the same rate of 4/5*s, Pennsylvania will generate more than three times as Iowa, Ohio, about three times Iowa, Michigan about 3 times, Minnesota-fortunately they don't prioritize football, nor does Illinois because we are much smaller, Indiana is at least twice as big as Iowa and Wisconsin is almost twice as big. You see how that ratio inherently makes it harder to recruit at Iowa.

All four Pac 10 teams come from more heavily populated states than Iowa. How many millions of people live within a hundred mile arc from San Diego to north of LA? A lot more millions than live in Iowa.

2. Small school. Iowa doesn't graduate very large classes, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State (not a better program than Iowa) Pedo St., Bucky, Oregon, and UCLA all have larger to multiples larger classes than Iowa. That means their alum pools grow faster to exponentially faster than Iowa. Those are your attendance and small to large donor pools and, in time your major individual donors. You understand how Iowa falls farther behind in living donating alumni of around 8 BIG schools every year i.

3. Not a BB. Iowa has nowhere near BB status. Not close. tOSU, Pedo St., Michigan, USC are permanent BBs. Washington is kind of a low-end BB. Oregon, another really dirty school can now have Nike buy players through the NIL. They have a budget like an NFL team once the NIL money is added back into the overall operating budget. These schools usually bury Iowa in recruiting.

4. No urban access. The biggest money for NIL and the schools is found in large cities. The deep corporate sponsors, corporate and millionaire donor classes typically live in large cities. Iowa is close to DSM, which is probably the smallest "city" in the Big Ten, and Iowa has to share with the goat ropers for DSM money. I'm assuming that that Portland is still an incorporated city and Seattle has not become its own democratic communist republic, like Ukraine. even Purdue and Indiana have access to Indianapolis, Cincy, Chicago, etc... Black Rock and Buffet had kept Omaha holding its own population. Where does Iowa go to find those very deep pocket donors?

These are the major problems that face every Iowa coach. Coaching attitude or visible enthusiasm does not put money in the bank, millions and millions of more dollars in the bank.

Picking isolated games or seasons ignores the real-world big picture. The things that make Ferentz great has been the doing more with less. We knock those BBs off now and again, some entire seasons turn our way but never all in a season. Take a view of the last 60 years of Iowa football and count the wins against Michigan and tOSU.

Iowa is 10-40-1 against Ohio St since 1952 and 13-34-3 against Michigan.

Iowa is 10-40-1 against Ohio St since 1952 and 13-34-3 against Michigan.

Why did you pick such a weird time frame? Are you trying to denigrate the Iowa program? Between 2014 and 2019 Iowa was undefeated against those programs. Zero losses. So I don't know why you had to go back and cherry pick 71 years of data when I can produce a recent 5 year period where we were better than them.

That proposition overlooks the direction of causation. Phil and Lavar aren't accidently coaching at Iowa. They are here precisely because of KF. They aren't "saving" KF, they are KF's subordinates doing their job. Their presence at Iowa is part of a brilliant and successful strategy.

I agree the offensive has not held up its part of complimentary football. This next hire is big.

I totally agree. All we can sell in the new world is KFs stability and success. We cannot financially compete, so we are much closer to Indiana than many posters think. They base their conviction that Iowa should have a baseline of 10 wins a season on blue sky and fantasy.

But the offense has been who-fully (?sp) for several years and a couple coordinators now. It has been the glaring deficiency for Iowa competing for BIG championships and post season top bowls and playoff spots.

I agree that he gets credit for having the coaches in the other two units.

This is why I am on the fence. I lean towards hoping he stays and can solidify the OC position and let the coach work their magic. I realize we actually have it pretty good at Iowa as you point out and agree Iowa could be in a very different position with a new coach. I think there is a better percentage chance Iowa would fall backwards than improve. KF has 2/3rds of the complimentary football at an elite level. This is a better situation than most teams at Iowa's level or viewed as a developmental team. I get that and the reason I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not now tupid! How do some not follow what is being stated in the post. Please track.

Teddy and I are both saying, if Iowa DOES NOT HIRE THE RIGHT COACH, Iowa is close to dropping close to an Indiana, Mich St, Minny, etc. than they are at being a Ohio St. or Michigan.

Last edited:
Anyone hearing that three guys have interviewed?

I just got back from my interview Tuesday morning.

I was really drilled about my understanding of complimentary football and how punting can actually be a very positive play in a football game. Within that, there was much discussion about my thoughts on controlling field position and "shortening a game".

I think it went well.

I was really drilled about my understanding of complimentary football and how punting can actually be a very positive play in a football game. Within that, there was much discussion about my thoughts on controlling field position and "shortening a game".

I think it went well.
From a ranking standpoint, you or anyone off the street would not cause IA's offensive rankings to drop. How crazy is that?

Has anyone thought of this possibility? Kirk is very loyal and protective of his staff. The dismissal of his son in October probably made Kirk come to the realization that he likely won't have much role in Iowa's succession plan when the time comes, and thus he won't really be able to protect his staff.

Any chance that whatever year he decides to retire, he retires at kind of an odd time, like after spring practice, and the Iowa administration is forced to roll with the staff in place for at least another season? Or maybe even a bit later than spring practice? Say he and Phil had conversations and Phil in fact wanted to give it a shot, or maybe Kirk thinks Woods is ready.

He theoretically could tell his most trusted coaches in January or February that he thinks he'll be stepping away before the next season starts. They could all plan accordingly. It would give them a bit of a transition year and likely elevate them as candidates, either at Iowa or for their next gig.

Inserting a strong outside OC now would likely be one of the better ways to keep the staff intact after Kirk leaves.

If Kirk wants Woods to get the gig long-term (for example), would it be the worst idea to manipulate a departure that lets Woods grab the baton on an interim basis in a year when Iowa has a really strong team returning? The fans and media would probably fall in love with weekly press conferences with Woods after all those years with Kirk (especially if Iowa is winning)....stands to reason he'd have a better shot for the job then if Kirk retired at the end of a season. All this assumes Iowa has a pretty good season that year, though...

Rumor circulating on this side of the state is that Scott Frost is a serious contender and has spoken with Iowa. I don't believe it at all and it made me literally LOL, but wouldn't that be something?

Please do not hire Frost
Yeah, basically was asleep at the wheel at Nebraska, spending more time partying and golfing vs coaching.... it would be a weird hire IMO and sounds like oil and water when you think of SF offensive principals vs Iowa's.... yet, there was something about Scott and the Iowa program that makes it sort of add up if you want to connect some really hard to connect dots. I am pretty sure I recall that Iowa visited Oregon when he was the OC there. A lot of offseasons, I would hear on podcasts about what the coaching staff was doing in the off season and a lot of times I would hear that Iowa visits other programs to see how they operate and vice versa and one of the ones they visited was SF when he was the OR OC. So maybe there's 1 connection. 2nd connection is obviously, he coach at UNI and he does have coaching experience in the state. Another connection is he coached in the B1G and while not successful at HC, his offenses were typically pretty good. He likely has the ear and connections to every HS coach in the 500 mile radius of Iowa City and those relationships are still fresh.

I am with you, bad hire, but the more I thought about it the more I was like, well, I guess it wouldn't be unheard of and IMO, it would be a total F you to a rival.

I think it went well.
LMAO.

Was there any talk of recalling Barta?

Yeah, basically was asleep at the wheel at Nebraska, spending more time partying and golfing vs coaching.... it would be a weird hire IMO and sounds like oil and water when you think of SF offensive principals vs Iowa's.... yet, there was something about Scott and the Iowa program that makes it sort of add up if you want to connect some really hard to connect dots. I am pretty sure I recall that Iowa visited Oregon when he was the OC there. A lot of offseasons, I would hear on podcasts about what the coaching staff was doing in the off season and a lot of times I would hear that Iowa visits other programs to see how they operate and vice versa and one of the ones they visited was SF when he was the OR OC. So maybe there's 1 connection. 2nd connection is obviously, he coach at UNI and he does have coaching experience in the state. Another connection is he coached in the B1G and while not successful at HC, his offenses were typically pretty good. He likely has the ear and connections to every HS coach in the 500 mile radius of Iowa City and those relationships are still fresh.

I am with you, bad hire, but the more I thought about it the more I was like, well, I guess it wouldn't be unheard of and IMO, it would be a total F you to a rival.
We all love to poke at Nebby, but let’s be honest here. If Frost wasn’t a successful coach prior to nebby he wouldn’t have been given the Nebraska position.

Unfortunately he landed is a cistern called Nebraska. Clearly he would be head and shoulders over Brian. Oregon has consistently been an offensive giant. That conference is a big time believer in offense, but then again how has that thought process worked for the Big 8, 12, 16, 24 or whatever the hell they call themselves now?

Then there is what is left of the Pac 12. “Excuse me miss……….. table for four please.”

Latest posts