Candidates for the OC position

Ok Brian F., I mean Huck. Think what you want. That's your right. Norm and Phil have both saved KF's butt time after time and year after year.

I guess we'll know who's correct next fall, if KF's offensive philosophy doesn't change and the Hawks schedule gets a little harder.

Ok Brian F., I mean Huck. Think what you want. That's your right. Norm and Phil have both saved KF's butt time after time and year after year.

I guess we'll know who's correct next fall, if KF's offensive philosophy doesn't change and the Hawks schedule gets a little harder.
Did you ever learn to read? I have already answered this Directly to one of your poorly worded posts. Yawn…remember?

They are showing up and their wrath is apparent! Oh, and you got the dreaded YAWN reply!

Also, hey Kirk, you could have told Barta and the donors to stuff it. You didn't. You let the contract provision go through and your kid objectively failed to meet the terms that you and he agreed to. You don't like it, then just tell Beth if Brian goes, you go. The truth is that Kirk knows damn well his son was given a fair shot, and whether because he was unlucky, snake bit, or whatever, he failed. He knows it. He may not want to admit it to the press or Mary or anyone, but he knows it. So does Brian.
I don't think we give KF enough credit. Sure, he was pissed how the firing of BF went down. One, nobody can deny as a dad it would sting to have your child fired. I think moreover what pissed him off was how it was done. Creatures of habit.

We have handed the keys to KF for 25 years. For the most part, we have been happy with what has been done and he has had a successful run. Besides a few issues such as Rhabdo, the racial lawsuit/Doyle scandal, and this, we have had very few issues.

I won't say KF does not have an ego. Anyone who has been empowered and put on a pedestal like KF has will have some sort of pride or ego. I am sure he wants to continue his legacy and secretly would love to become the all-time winningest Big 10 coach.

If anything, even if he is upset, he will want to find a competent OC to move forward to obtain the goals of the program and obtain his own individual goals. I think also would love to put this behind him. All of it.

He hired Brian. He took heat for it. Yet, it slowly went away for a minute. Then the offensive struggles occurred and it reared its ugly head again. KF and BF couldn't get away from it. It was national news once the Barta stipulations came out. As the season progressed, and it was evident that BF was not going to meet his critera, I think KF just wanted to survive the season and allow Brian to ride off in the sunset.

I'm sure with Goetz making the move mid-season, it embarrassed KF and pissed him off. Sure he was salty about it. But I don't think KF will play games or flip the bird to Goetz or anyone. His legacy and his program is bigger than this drama. I think KF is above that. Give it time.

I don't think we give KF enough credit. Sure, he was pissed how the firing of BF went down. One, nobody can deny as a dad it would sting to have your child fired. I think moreover what pissed him off was how it was done. Creatures of habit.

We have handed the keys to KF for 25 years. For the most part, we have been happy with what has been done and he has had a successful run. Besides a few issues such as Rhabdo, the racial lawsuit/Doyle scandal, and this, we have had very few issues.

I won't say KF does not have an ego. Anyone who has been empowered and put on a pedestal like KF has will have some sort of pride or ego. I am sure he wants to continue his legacy and secretly would love to become the all-time winningest Big 10 coach.

If anything, even if he is upset, he will want to find a competent OC to move forward to obtain the goals of the program and obtain his own individual goals. I think also would love to put this behind him. All of it.

He hired Brian. He took heat for it. Yet, it slowly went away for a minute. Then the offensive struggles occurred and it reared its ugly head again. KF and BF couldn't get away from it. It was national news once the Barta stipulations came out. As the season progressed, and it was evident that BF was not going to meet his critera, I think KF just wanted to survive the season and allow Brian to ride off in the sunset.

I'm sure with Goetz making the move mid-season, it embarrassed KF and pissed him off. Sure he was salty about it. But I don't think KF will play games or flip the bird to Goetz or anyone. His legacy and his program is bigger than this drama. I think KF is above that. Give it time.
I give KF plenty of credit. Other than landing Bob Stoops instead, I think Iowa was about as fortunate as it could be to land KF, be patient, and watch him build a consistent winner. As I recently argued with Howe, KF has surpassed Fry in terms of achievements and greatness, and that is really saying something.

That said, everyone has blind spots, and when you give someone unfettered power, it can lead to bad results. Examples: Belicheck in NE. No real GM or oversight. Much like KF having Parkers' defense to cover up his shortcomings, Belicheck had Brady to cover up his bad drafting and decisionmaking. Brady leaves and the Pats stink. Probably need to change HCs or at least hire a GM. Another example? Dallas. Jerry Jones is a terrible GM, but he doesn't think so. He owns the team so he can do what he wants. What he has done is hire slightly above average coaches and QBs and has mired the biggest brand in football into mediocrity for two decades. Jerry Jones the owner should have fired Jerry Jones the GM a decade ago. But, no one is there to check his ego.

IMO, if Barta had ever spoken truth to power to KF the way that Beth has done in 6 months on the job, this team would have won the West 4 out of the last 5 years. Barta didn't, KF showed a blindspot for his son, and it cost everyone.

That all said, it does not mean KF is not a great coach. He is. Just could have been even better of late.

As with some clients, you really need to reconnect to reality. Why don't you give Iowa football a break until KF retires. Save yourself the frustration and anger and spare everyone else from reading it. Win/win.

LOL. I bet you kick-azz in the courtroom!!

W

What's Iowa's record in the last four full seasons? Doesn't 38 wins in four seasons seem like he's still doing great things? Or do you opine Iowa should expect more than 10 wins a year as a baseline. Two division titles, which might not impress you but it does to the larger public (I have sports talk as background noise so I don't sit in quiet to work).

You are entitled to an opinion, but the records are established facts.

Good take but in defense of Hawkinstl, he stated that Iowa's offense sucks. Now, if Iowa doesn't have Phil, Lavar and the production of the defense and special teams, Iowa is no where near 38 wins. The question arises, do you give KF credit for having those coaches in place or do you give PP and Lavar credit for what they have done coaching up the players and their units?

I'm on the fence about KF and can see both sides. This is why I'm fine if he decides to retire and also admittedly nervous thinking of him leaving, because I realize where Iowa could fall to as a team. People have to realize we are closer to being an Indiana than we are of being a Michigan.

I'm on the fence about KF and can see both sides. This is why I'm fine if he decides to retire and also admittedly nervous thinking of him leaving, because I realize where Iowa could fall to as a team. People have to realize we are closer to being an Indiana than we are of being a Michigan.

Perfectly surmised.
As I've said before, I don't think there's anything magical about coaches. None of them have some secret formula that brings them success. Offensive coordinators can (like Mike Martz '99 Rams) have some secret sauce that works, but only for a season or two until defensive coordinators figure them out (Mike Martz '00 Rams).

Here's the formula for success for a head coach.
1. Go to a school that spends money and has a history of success in football. The more money they spend, and the more success they've had, the more likely you are to succeed. (Unless you're Nebraska).
2. Go to a school with good NIL support. Recent addition to the formula (see #1; previous success)
3. Be super likeable and hire super likeable coaches and coordinators who will attract players who want to come play for you and work hard when they do.
4. Win your in-state recruiting, fill in from areas where you and your coaches have inroads (see #3 also #1 and #2).

Now, I'm sure there's lots of other things to navigate like University politics and whatnot. I suppose you gotta be good at raising money. etc. etc. etc. But all of that is easier if you're achieving success on the field. And that comes from the formula above.

Last edited:
Perfectly surmised.
As I've said before, I don't think there's anything magical about coaches. None of them have some secret formula that brings them success. Offensive coordinators can (like Mike Martz '99 Rams) have some secret sauce that works, but only for a season or two until defensive coordinators figure them out (Mike Martz '00 Rams).

Here's the formula for success for a head coach.
1. Go to a school that spends money and has a history of success in football. The more money they spend, and the more success they've had, the more likely you are to succeed. (Unless you're Nebraska).
2. Go to a school with good NIL support. Recent addition to the formula (see #1; previous success)
3. Be super likeable and hire super likeable coaches and coordinators who will want to come play for you and work hard when they do.
4. Win your in-state recruiting, fill in from areas where you and your coaches have inroads (see #3 also #1 and #2).

Now, I'm sure there's lots of other things to navigate like University politics and whatnot. I suppose you gotta be good at raising money. etc. etc. etc. But all of that is easier if you're achieving success on the field. And that comes from the formula above.
Great take and spot on!

Great take and spot on!
It's why I'm right with you on Kirk.
I won't mind if he hangs it up (assuming he doesn't flip the bird on the way out). I will be proud to have had just two coaches in the 35 years I've been aware of Iowa football.

I would absolutely be a bit nervous. Because I fear the carousel. Or the damage caused if they hire someone who can't do #3 and #4 within a year or two. Especially in this era that seems rather 'make or break'.

You predicted it would happen and they swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker. Too funny!
Thank you for the admission that you guys are trolling. Wow. That has never happened before on HN! In the past, admitted trolls were placed on my “ignore” list along with blatant liars, boring posters, those who bash our athletes unfairly, and racist/sexist mouth breathers. So, see ya!

Thank you for the admission that you guys are trolling. Wow. That has never happened before on HN! In the past, admitted trolls were placed on my “ignore” list along with blatant liars, boring posters, those who bash our athletes unfairly, and racist/sexist mouth breathers. So, see ya!

Rest easy, hawkinstl, I got put on the ignore list for having the audacity to suggest that per chance the WHO was erroneous when they claimed the Germ had a 3.4% fatality rate back in March of 2020.

Good take but in defense of Hawkinstl, he stated that Iowa's offense sucks. Now, if Iowa doesn't have Phil, Lavar and the production of the defense and special teams, Iowa is no where near 38 wins. The question arises, do you give KF credit for having those coaches in place or do you give PP and Lavar credit for what they have done coaching up the players and their units?

That proposition overlooks the direction of causation. Phil and Lavar aren't accidently coaching at Iowa. They are here precisely because of KF. They aren't "saving" KF, they are KF's subordinates doing their job. Their presence at Iowa is part of a brilliant and successful strategy.

I agree the offensive has not held up its part of complimentary football. This next hire is big.

I totally agree. All we can sell in the new world is KFs stability and success. We cannot financially compete, so we are much closer to Indiana than many posters think. They base their conviction that Iowa should have a baseline of 10 wins a season on blue sky and fantasy.

Maybe Kirk should just ask Phil Parker who Iowa should hire for OC.

After all, Phil has mastered how to stop offenses. He might have a good idea who can put together a good game plan.

It's why I'm right with you on Kirk.
I won't mind if he hangs it up (assuming he doesn't flip the bird on the way out). I will be proud to have had just two coaches in the 35 years I've been aware of Iowa football.

I would absolutely be a bit nervous. Because I fear the carousel. Or the damage caused if they hire someone who can't do #3 and #4 within a year or two. Especially in this era that seems rather 'make or break'.
It's actually 45 seasons since the sainted John Hayden Fry rode his stallion into Kinnick.

Iowa cannot financially compete long term. The portal and the NIL have allowed the BB schools to simply wipe out the opposition through financial mercantilism. College football will collapse to about 32 teams and half will make the playoffs. Iowa will not be one of those teams.

It's actually 45 seasons since the sainted John Hayden Fry rode his stallion into Kinnick.

Iowa cannot financially compete long term. The portal and the NIL have allowed the BB schools to simply wipe out the opposition through financial mercantilism. College football will collapse to about 32 teams and half will make the playoffs. Iowa will not be one of those teams.
I agree that this is coming down to 32 teams. Probably two conferences of 16 teams and mirrors the NFL model. It's pretty easy to figure out the first 18 to 20. After that it's a crap shoot. Iowa can't support two teams in the model. This a quick list:
2024 B1G - OSU, MI, PSU, NE, USC, WA, OR, UCLA - After those 7 you have the maybe WI, MSU
2024 SEC - FL, GA, AL, LSU, TX, OK, TX A&M, MISS - After those 8 you have maybe Aub, So Car, Mo
2024 ACC - Clemson, N Car, FSU, - After those 3 you have maybe Pitt, VA Tech, GA Tech
2024 XII - Utah, Arizona, BYU, WV - After those 4 you have maybe Ok St, AZ State
Independents -Notre Dame

This was a quick guess of 32 teams.

Last edited:

Latest posts