Candidates for the OC position

Don't have any idea if he'd be interested, but Paul Chryst makes a ton of sense. He runs the exact offense that Kirk likes (ball control, power running, uses TE's), it's just that his Wisconsin teams did it much better than Iowa does. If Kirk would think that Chryst's offense is too risky/flashy for his liking, then Iowa is in big trouble.

Maybe I misread and am off, but I'm assuming you just listed Coach Parker because he's already on the staff? I'm trying to wrap my head around why we'd even toy with the idea of moving one of the best defensive coordinators in the country to the other side of the ball. Probably just misinterpreting things and you weren't implying moving him as an OC but rather listing him as a current coach on the staff.
Yes, just because he is someone on staff who (on paper) would be considered a candidate, mainly as a step towards HC. Not in the realm of possibility though.

Last edited:
Paul C. is 58. Heck of a resume’, as CP presented. 10-12 years left? Next head coach at Iowa?

Last edited:
Budmayr: born in 1990. Claim to fame is as QB coach for Paul C. Nothing else I can see recommends him. But, the “get a young gun in there” crowd should love him.

Please don’t bring Ken Okeefe back. I don’t like the optics. He is a proven, experienced coach, however. And a good “Iowa” guy.

If he hires Chryst, I am ok keeping the rest of the coaches in place. I question how good some of them are, but I know KF hates to fire people, and Chryst would probably accept KF's current staff. Just having a veteran play caller and offense designer like Paul C. could elevate the offense to the point of near mediocrity, which is as much as I can bring myself to hope for under KF.

Paul C. is 58. Heck of a resume’, as CP presented. 10-12 years left? Next head coach at Iowa?
Little long in the tooth. KF has at least a season or two or more left in him. You want to hire a first year 60+ year old HC? I would have a hard time doing that. Hard to recruit in those circumstances.

If he hires Chryst, I am ok keeping the rest of the coaches in place. I question how good some of them are, but I know KF hates to fire people, and Chryst would probably accept KF's current staff. Just having a veteran play caller and offense designer like Paul C. could elevate the offense to the point of near mediocrity, which is as much as I can bring myself to hope for under KF.

"to the point of mediocrity" - so accurate. Make us dream, Paul!

I like what Budmayr has said about what he learned from Chryst. Simplicity in offensive design, but a design where every plays builds off another, everything has a counter. I think our offense has been too complicated, and that leads to poor execution. We need an offense with a faster learning curve that results in more decisiveness and less thinking.

Also, I just don't think BF had the playcalling knack, and Chryst has proven that over a long period. He has also been working with Sarkisian this year as part of a balanced offense (190 yds/game rushing, 290 yds/game passing), which should fit with what we want to do.

I think our offense has been too complicated, and that leads to poor execution. We need an offense with a faster learning curve that results in more decisiveness and less thinking.
I don't disagree, but I think the most important thing is the stable of horses, and as @99topdawg has said, we ain't got 'em.

That's what Brian and his dad have really hurt by this whole deal. We can't and won't be able to recruit top players. There's quite literally nothing to sell to an offensive player who isn't a tight end.

We could have Steve Sarkisian calling plays with this rag tag group we have and it wouldn't end up a whole lot different.

I know the argument is about having new blood on the staff to get recruits excited, but how well has that worked for nebraska? They say it every time they hire a new staff that they're going to reinvigorate recruiting, but in reality it doesn't work that way. NIL? we can't compete at the level of a PSU, MSU, etc., let alone Michigan or Ohio, so that's not gonna help. Even Brad Henrichs has said the Swarm is small time compared to most other schools.

Let's all raise our Busch Lite's and propose a toast to finishing no better than ninth in the new Big and playing in the Spicy Meataballa Bowl, every year, Alka Seltzer comes with your hotel and travel package.

I don't disagree, but I think the most important thing is the stable of horses, and as @99topdawg has said, we ain't got 'em.

That's what Brian and his dad have really hurt by this whole deal. We can't and won't be able to recruit top players. There's quite literally nothing to sell to an offensive player who isn't a tight end.

We could have Steve Sarkisian calling plays with this rag tag group we have and it wouldn't end up a whole lot different.

I know the argument is about having new blood on the staff to get recruits excited, but how well has that worked for nebraska? They say it every time they hire a new staff that they're going to reinvigorate recruiting, but in reality it doesn't work that way. NIL? we can't compete at the level of a PSU, MSU, etc., let alone Michigan or Ohio, so that's not gonna help. Even Brad Henrichs has said the Swarm is small time compared to most other schools.

I think the complexity of the offense has contributed to the talent drain, as athletically gifted kids sometimes can't get on the field, or can't play fast because they are thinking too hard. If you can't take advantage of the talent you get, you discourage future talent from taking a chance on you.

All the new OC can sell is change, hope and maybe PT. Your point is very well taken if all KF does is keep the same sad band together and promote one guy to take BF's place. At least someone from the outside can sell real changes and a new philosophy (whether true or not).

We are rarely going to get horses that compete with the big boys anyway. We can compete reasonably well at OL and TE. We put those positions in the league. As for RB, we run a lot. As for WR? I got nothing.

At the end of the day Iowa has to do what Iowa does. Bring in 2 and 3 star kids and develop the shit out of them. The goal is competency, not greatness (at least in my mind)

Whoever the new OC is, if we don't get clobbered with portal losses, we have a veteran and deep OC, excellent RBs and TEs returning, some flashes of something at WR. QB remains the biggest mystery with this team.

Latest posts