California Gives NCAA The Middle Finger

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be one of the most interesting things to happen to college sports, maybe ever.
Here's the thing that (as far as I can tell) has not been mentioned:

Ponder this hypothetical situation for a bit:
Say this becomes a real thing and players do actually start getting paid. The amounts and who gets what don;t matter for this argument.
At that point they become actual employees of their school. They could then in theory form a frickin' union if half + one choose to do so and go through collective bargaining with their school for pay and benefits. Lord knows the GD NLRB would love to help that process along.
The teams could also potentially strike against their school, forfeiting a game over whatever issue they wanted to. DON'T THINK IT COULDN'T HAPPEN.
The potential disruption would be a disaster that would ruin college sports.
I don't care what needs to happen, but this paying players thing needs to be nipped in the bud.
405df70e69cf1e82891e9bf104802557.jpg
The bill isn’t about schools paying players and it actually forbids it in California. It’s designed to allow players to make money off their likenesses.

I've been following this topic before the legislation was signed into law, which does not take affect until 2023. The ball is now in the NCAA hands now, but more so in the lap of higher education. What will the administrators of the Big Ten Conference do? The current B1G model is monetary sharing across all the universities equally (except newest members). This legislation indirectly impacts that model.

I've got a gut feeling that the fallout from this will rearrange members of conferences and that some conferences will opt to adopt a free market model versus others that will stick with tighter amateur rules. I could envision a breakup of the Big Ten with OSU, Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska going the free market route and the remainder sticking with the amateur model. Similarly I could see Texas and Oklahoma abandon the Big Twelve. There is no way that conflicts of interest can be avoided. Ultimately conferences make their own membership rules.

This is a very bad thing. The current NCAA model already is unfair with some schools getting all the best players making fair competition impossible. This will only exacerbate the issue. I would rather the states/NCAA ban the universities from profiting off an individuals likenesses so no one profits unfairly.

I've been following this topic before the legislation was signed into law, which does not take affect until 2023. The ball is now in the NCAA hands now, but more so in the lap of higher education. What will the administrators of the Big Ten Conference do? The current B1G model is monetary sharing across all the universities equally (except newest members). This legislation indirectly impacts that model.

I've got a gut feeling that the fallout from this will rearrange members of conferences and that some conferences will opt to adopt a free market model versus others that will stick with tighter amateur rules. I could envision a breakup of the Big Ten with OSU, Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska going the free market route and the remainder sticking with the amateur model. Similarly I could see Texas and Oklahoma abandon the Big Twelve. There is no way that conflicts of interest can be avoided. Ultimately conferences make their own membership rules.

I don't see the Big Ten breaking up anytime soon. For one they have a really good TV revenue cash cow in the BTN and the Big Ten Academic Alliance along with the Cancer Research Consortium gets funded billions of dollars. I'm not saying it's impossible to break up the Big Ten but it's highly unlikely.

California will take much/most of what athletes would make anyway in taxes to pay for their behemoth
This legislation will spread through the South faster than Sherman's Army.

If only Indianapolis was in Georgia, because this is going to burn down the NCAA.

This is going to be one of the most interesting things to happen to college sports, maybe ever.
Here's the thing that (as far as I can tell) has not been mentioned:

Ponder this hypothetical situation for a bit:
Say this becomes a real thing and players do actually start getting paid. The amounts and who gets what don;t matter for this argument.
At that point they become actual employees of their school. They could then in theory form a frickin' union if half + one choose to do so and go through collective bargaining with their school for pay and benefits. Lord knows the GD NLRB would love to help that process along.
The teams could also potentially strike against their school, forfeiting a game over whatever issue they wanted to. DON'T THINK IT COULDN'T HAPPEN.
The potential disruption would be a disaster that would ruin college sports.
I don't care what needs to happen, but this paying players thing needs to be nipped in the bud.
405df70e69cf1e82891e9bf104802557.jpg

This one didn't have the schools paying. Allows persons to engage with outside parties. Even more wild west than if the school paid.

Come to our school and on your first day the local car dealership will have you do an autograph signing where you will charge $1000 per autograph and we guarantee that you will have 30 people there to get one. Yeah - this is going to end well...

It warms my heart to know that the state of California is in good enough shape that it's lawmakers can spend time on this!

But, what's to stop the NCAA from saying that if this passes they'll have to drop those Cali schools from membership, because there isn't enough member support to adopt this program nationally?

California lawmakers don't care about the athletes. It's a great opportunity for the politicians to get more PR and supporters with money while adding to the tax base. Athletes are still being used, but by the politicians and not necessarily the universities in this instance.

Out of curiosity does this make Bill Self and Kansas basketball more popular? Lack of Institutional Control or leading the revolution?

Last edited:
After the skullduggery the damned Standford band pulled in the Rose Bowl, I wouldn't complain if sea level rose enough to take out LA and San Fran within the next few months.
That leaves too much time for escape. What you're looking for is a cataclysmic earthquake. Clean break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts