Cajuns/Clowns

Purdy was off which was understandable for a first game, especially after this COVID mess. The WR's didn't help him on a few plays.

The real killer is that IA States special teams gave up both a kick-off return for a TD and punt return for a TD. Those were two quick scores and took away IA States chance at driving the field and controlling the clock.

Lol...ISU offense would have done __________

Listen...I know Louisiana had a few big plays on special teams, but they outplayed ISU on both sides of the ball. LT played them like a Big Ten team...they pounded the ball in the first half despite not getting much out of it...and their kicker cost them 6 points by missing chip shots. Listen, Louisiana was 11-3 last year and is a really good program. At the end of the game...they ran the ball right at ISU to run out the clock...and the ISU defense was gassed. The ISU d-line is not deep and they are undersized...the Rajun Cajuns had a great game plan...and wore them down.

Purdy was lucky...he should have had two more picks if Louisiana defensive backs could catch anything. They dropped two easy ones. Purdy was terrible.

Listen...I know Louisiana had a few big plays on special teams, but they outplayed ISU on both sides of the ball. LT played them like a Big Ten team...they pounded the ball in the first half despite not getting much out of it...and their kicker cost them 6 points by missing chip shots. Listen, Louisiana was 11-3 last year and is a really good program. At the end of the game...they ran the ball right at ISU to run out the clock...and the ISU defense was gassed. The ISU d-line is not deep and they are undersized...the Rajun Cajuns had a great game plan...and wore them down.

Purdy was lucky...he should have had two more picks if Louisiana defensive backs could catch anything. They dropped two easy ones. Purdy was terrible.
This. Especially the bolded part. The last touchdown drive was over 80 yards and all runs, I believe. They were just trying to run clock and they ended up eating all but about 30 seconds and got a touchdown.
The other thing that stuck out to me was that Louisiana was playing close man-to-man defense that was sticking like glue to the ISU receivers (who by the way don't look all that great this year). The announcers were constantly mentioning that. Add to that Chase Allen had at least 3 or 4 dropped passes.
I also think Louisiana was the more athletic team. It showed on the kickoff and punt return touchdowns.

The Ragin' Caguns were the faster team. They arguably had the best QB on the field on this day. They were the better conditioned team. And they were the better coached team. That about sums it up. ISU's defensive front 3 are very good, but their LB corps looks like a problem. Any team with ANY kind of rush game oughta be able to run against that 3-5-3 defense -- or whatever it is. The Cyclone defensive coaching decision to rush only 3 and let LA throw the ball down the field prior to halftime was a horrible call. I've watched Purdy for most of the previous 2 years, and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. On his long throws he just chucks the ball in the general direction of his WRs, hoping they come up with it -- LA had 2 dropped INTs today. Add in 2 missed FGs by the Cajuns and this game was not even close. There IS something Iowa can learn from this game, and that is to do everything humanly possible to take away the Clones' short passing game. Time after time Safeties or LBs were taking ISU's TEs man-to-man and blanketing them, getting arms in and breaking up those short, 5 yd passes which is ISU's bread and butter on 3rd and 4th and short. Just excellent coaching on the Cajuns' part. And excellent execution. But what Coach Campbell will remember about this game was the last 6 minutes, when a Sun Belt team got the ball with 6 min remaining, and ran the ball on every down the entire length of the field, when his team knew exactly what they'd be doing and couldn't stop it. Wow.

The Ragin' Caguns were the faster team. They arguably had the best QB on the field on this day. They were the better conditioned team. And they were the better coached team. That about sums it up. ISU's defensive front 3 are very good, but their LB corps looks like a problem. Any team with ANY kind of rush game oughta be able to run against that 3-5-3 defense -- or whatever it is. The Cyclone defensive coaching decision to rush only 3 and let LA throw the ball down the field prior to halftime was a horrible call. I've watched Purdy for most of the previous 2 years, and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. On his long throws he just chucks the ball in the general direction of his WRs, hoping they come up with it -- LA had 2 dropped INTs today. Add in 2 missed FGs by the Cajuns and this game was not even close. There IS something Iowa can learn from this game, and that is to do everything humanly possible to take away the Clones' short passing game. Time after time Safeties or LBs were taking ISU's TEs man-to-man and blanketing them, getting arms in and breaking up those short, 5 yd passes which is ISU's bread and butter on 3rd and 4th and short. Just excellent coaching on the Cajuns' part. And excellent execution. But what Coach Campbell will remember about this game was the last 6 minutes, when a Sun Belt team got the ball with 6 min remaining, and ran the ball on every down the entire length of the field, when his team knew exactly what they'd be doing and couldn't stop it. Wow.

Exactly. Two years ago he looked better than he was because Butler made some really good plays on 50/50 balls. It wasn't like Purdy was throwing precision passes right into his hands. Last season he really padded his stats against the worst teams on the schedule (UNI, LAM, TT, KU). When he played teams with good defenses (Iowa, KSU, ND) he struggled. It also helps that the Big 12 is not a defensive juggernaut.

ISU being ISU ;)............nothing to see here, move along.

P.S. Enjoyed watching the last minute of the game. Kirk would have pumped the brakes. The Cajuns never lost track of the accelerator to make their statement.

* Notice to all ISU potential recruits.........."early playing time available".

They were a good mid-major last year and do fairly well within their conference lately.

Its like I've said regarding Iowa scheduling non conference games. If you want to schedule a cupcake, make sure you schedule a real cupcake. Do your research and make sure its a program that is rarely, if ever good.

ISU being ISU ;)............nothing to see here, move along.

P.S. Enjoyed watching the last minute of the game. Kirk would have pumped the brakes. The Cajuns never lost track of the accelerator to make their statement.

* Notice to all ISU potential recruits.........."early playing time available".

Notice to all ISU potential recruits, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

Latest posts