Cajuns/Clowns

Great year to play on the road...

In all honesty I'm not putting any stock in results this cfb shatshow season. Only reason I'll watch much of it is that I will not watch the pathetic nfl this year.

The Ragin' Caguns were the faster team. They arguably had the best QB on the field on this day. They were the better conditioned team. And they were the better coached team. That about sums it up. ISU's defensive front 3 are very good, but their LB corps looks like a problem. Any team with ANY kind of rush game oughta be able to run against that 3-5-3 defense -- or whatever it is. The Cyclone defensive coaching decision to rush only 3 and let LA throw the ball down the field prior to halftime was a horrible call. I've watched Purdy for most of the previous 2 years, and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. On his long throws he just chucks the ball in the general direction of his WRs, hoping they come up with it -- LA had 2 dropped INTs today. Add in 2 missed FGs by the Cajuns and this game was not even close. There IS something Iowa can learn from this game, and that is to do everything humanly possible to take away the Clones' short passing game. Time after time Safeties or LBs were taking ISU's TEs man-to-man and blanketing them, getting arms in and breaking up those short, 5 yd passes which is ISU's bread and butter on 3rd and 4th and short. Just excellent coaching on the Cajuns' part. And excellent execution. But what Coach Campbell will remember about this game was the last 6 minutes, when a Sun Belt team got the ball with 6 min remaining, and ran the ball on every down the entire length of the field, when his team knew exactly what they'd be doing and couldn't stop it. Wow.

I agree. I also don't understand the hype for Purdy. He's always had the luxury of very tall WR's as that is what Cambell recruits.I think he's just an average QB myself.

I thought it was interesting...Urban Meyer thinks ISU has a speed issue. I thought all these big wide receivers were all running 4.4 forties. Guess not. The other thing...my god, put some speed on your special teams. ISU had a TE as the safety valve on the punt team....he looked like he was running in cement. Typical Clone football, someone praises them and they think they are a darkhorse for the national title. It runs from the players straight through that fan base. ISU thought all they had to do was show up...when they found out that wasn't the case...they choked.

I'll say one thing that was clearly evident yesterday. Matt Campbell got outcoached so badly on both sides of the ball that it's shocking. Throw in special teams and, well, he should have his paycheck garnished. If a team is playing you man to man all over, and you can't find a match-up to exploit in the passing game...then you got problems. Usually, in those situations, you run guys deep off the line of scrimmage...and try to run the ball on the edge...which I think ISU could have done...but they didn't commit to it. Or you use your backs in the passing game against their linebackers...ISU did neither...because they were too arrogant thinking their receivers are so great.

The Ragin' Caguns were the faster team. They arguably had the best QB on the field on this day. They were the better conditioned team. And they were the better coached team. That about sums it up. ISU's defensive front 3 are very good, but their LB corps looks like a problem. Any team with ANY kind of rush game oughta be able to run against that 3-5-3 defense -- or whatever it is. The Cyclone defensive coaching decision to rush only 3 and let LA throw the ball down the field prior to halftime was a horrible call. I've watched Purdy for most of the previous 2 years, and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. On his long throws he just chucks the ball in the general direction of his WRs, hoping they come up with it -- LA had 2 dropped INTs today. Add in 2 missed FGs by the Cajuns and this game was not even close. There IS something Iowa can learn from this game, and that is to do everything humanly possible to take away the Clones' short passing game. Time after time Safeties or LBs were taking ISU's TEs man-to-man and blanketing them, getting arms in and breaking up those short, 5 yd passes which is ISU's bread and butter on 3rd and 4th and short. Just excellent coaching on the Cajuns' part. And excellent execution. But what Coach Campbell will remember about this game was the last 6 minutes, when a Sun Belt team got the ball with 6 min remaining, and ran the ball on every down the entire length of the field, when his team knew exactly what they'd be doing and couldn't stop it. Wow.

Thank God, something funny to talk about. God damn I love ISU football

The gift that just keeps on giving!

In all honesty I'm not putting any stock in results this cfb shatshow season. Only reason I'll watch much of it is that I will not watch the pathetic nfl this year.
Astute point. Without fans in the stand there’s little home field advantage. And with some better players sitting out due to concerns over The Germ or waiting for the draft, the teams aren’t what they normally would be.

Not watching No Fans Left this season so may catch more CFB, with the hope that’ll include the Hokks and other B1G teams soon.

Spoken like a true fan. Very impressive. So if the Big Ten plays...you won't put any stock in it...can I ask why? Teams have to get ready in the same timeframe...manage their players...and play the games with the players they have...and win them the same damn way. Sounds like a fair process to me and I for one would be thrilled to watch Iowa Football. I'll tell you one thing...if they get the full conference schedule that is planned and a championship game, and Iowa wins it...I'm pretty sure we will count it and it will be a blast watching it. Listen...adding in Cronk and the DT from NIU were huge adds for Iowa. Areas of need and really good adds. If Petras lives up to his billing, accuracy...our offense is going to be tough. I, for one, am excited to see it.

With a difficult year for everyone...getting the Big Ten on the field would be a huge highlight. I'll put stock in the results too. I think if Iowa can stay healthy...it could be a special year.

Lastly, the NFL is going to be fun to watch too. Damn near every game has Iowa players. You could have three of the top TEs in the league be Iowa players. I've seen Reiff, Jaleel Johnson, Hitchens, Kirksey, Hockenson, Hyde and now Wirfs today. I'm not sure the NFL has been better to watch, at least from a former Iowa player perspective.

Last edited:
...Damn near every game has Iowa players. You could have three of the top TEs in the league be Iowa players. I've seen Reiff, Jaleel Johnson, Hitchens, Kirksey, Hockenson, Hyde and now Wirfs today. I'm not sure the NFL has been better to watch, at least from a former Iowa player perspective.

Irregardless of number of Hokks, league has become too damned political. Normally I’d tune in to see them. Refuse to watch.

upload_2020-9-13_16-35-16.jpeg

After watching a replay of the game ISU has some deficiencies. Special teams are obviously not an area of strength. Defensively ISU played pretty well until the last quarter. I thought Louisiana had a tough time figuring out the ISU defensive scheme until the final quarter. Once they found out they could go over the top of the ISU secondary it changed the direction of the game. I'm not sure the ISU secondary scheme will work against teams that can go deep.

2 weeks until their next game doesn't solve their glaring weaknesses. They will win somewhere between 3-5 games this year and the question becomes if this year is setting up the 2021 season or not.

Irregardless of number of Hokks, league has become too damned political. Normally I’d tune in to see them. Refuse to watch.

I actually enjoy watching NFL games much better than college, aside from the Hawks. Most other college football is unwatchable.

I agree. I also don't understand the hype for Purdy. He's always had the luxury of very tall WR's as that is what Cambell recruits.I think he's just an average QB myself.

What about some writers labeling ISU as "DARK HORSE" candidate for the playoffs? Yup. 7-6 last year in a weak league to a candidate for a National title. One has to wonder how some people get their jobs..

View attachment 6876

If you're just now getting around to quitting NFL, you're way behind the times, bruh. I quit that shit 4 or 5 years ago. The same league that would fine guys $10k for a shoelace were suddenly powerless to police behavior. Yeah right. And here's the thing - Kaepernick started kneeling because he lost his starting job and his fragile ego couldn't handle it so he was hoping to concoct a narrative that he was oppressed for his political beliefs.

I watch the Lions and Cowboys on T-giving and I'll watch the title games and Super Bowl. That's it. I think I watched the Rams-Chiefs regular season game a couple years ago. A stark change from when I used to watch almost every game on Sunday and Monday. When you quit watching NFL and then watch that one-off game again, you'll realize just how shitty the product has become. The dudes on defense are sofaking athletic that it's damned near impossible to run an offense anymore other than throwing it deep and praying for PI or a miracle catch. The play stoppages and extra commercials they've jammed into games are just too much. The announcers arguing over whether a 42 degree turn is enough to constitute a "football move" gets pretty nauseating. Here's a hint for the NFL - if your broadcast partners have to hire a "rules analyst" to fill dead time during your broadcasts, you ain't delivering a good product.