BYU in talks with Big 12....

How do you BYU and ND were in contact about the Big 12? Again this statement is all that was said about ND in that whole article:

The talks have also included ESPN officials and even some input from Notre Dame representatives

Did it ever occur to you that maybe BYU wanted some input from ND to see how their 6 year contract to play each other could be affected if BYU did decide to join the Big 12 and didn't want to play all 6 of those games when they would be adding OU and Texas on the schedule every year?

Hold on Scott, you are bring way too much common sense and logic into this conversation. The average Clone fan on this board will never understand.

How much does Texas and Beebe have to promise to BYU to get them to join the Big XII? I assume they'd have to promise them the good money that TX and OU are getting. How would that make the bottom-feeders feel if BYU is getting a better deal than they are?

Why would you doubt BYU turning them down? I think it's a plausible outcome. BYU has it pretty good right now as an independent, and seriously, looking at the dysfunctional relationships in the Big 12 they are going to have to think long and hard about making that jump.

This is why anyone would be foolish right now to jump at joining the B12. Why would anyone risk joining now when OU, OSU, and TTech could jump ship at anytime? The contracts better be iron clad if anyone joins right now.

If BYU could somehow get the sweet BCS deal that ND has, then there would be no reason for them to want to join the Big 12. However, (and I'm not sure about this) I think it will be next to impossible for them to make a BCS bowl without playing a very difficult schedule. Why not join a conference where you get to play teams like Kansas, Kansas State, and ISU plus a couple of cupcakes in the non-cons and still have a shot to go to a BCS game? If they get to keep their network, they really have no worries. If the Big 12 blows up, oh well, go back to being independent. No big deal. They just have to understand that they need to get on their knees once in a while for Texas.

You are correct that BYU would just go back to being independent but it just begs to differ is the hassle even worth it? If I were BYU I would sit back and evaluate the landscape before committing. They are in no hurry, and if the rumors are correct, the Pac 12 could be making a move as soon as before the end of the month. No need to rush into things.

How do you know BYU has it good right now as an independent? Have they done anything yet as an independent? Played a game? Anything at all?

Best wishes to ISU and the rest of the Big 12. I hope everything works out.
I am curious, why do you care what Iowa fans think?

BYU might get talked into going to big 12, but no way in H does ND go to the big 12 but that is a heck of dream land you are living up there in Lames.

Isn't Big East is in weaker position than the Big 12, because it does not have
2 dominate football schools.

Texas and OU by themselves are a bigger draw for football than all of the Big East combined.

As I mentioned before if those 2 schools stick together, the Big 12 survives.
What is left of the Big 12 will not go anywhere because there are no alternatives for them. Mizzou tried the Big 10 once before and was rebuffed.
SEC, probably needs to look to the Carolina's..

The Big East on the other hand, probably has 2 so called national programs WVU and Pitt. And that might be stretching it. There is also this perception that the New York and New England area is a hotbed of college football.
Lets face it Pro football and in general pro sports rule the roost there.

If the ACC were to get raided by the SEC they would look to add Pitt and WVU. Then what does the Big East do? Do ISU,KSU, KU look to join them or will Cincy and Louisville look to come the Big 12. Who knows?

Notre Dame, while not a member of the Big East in terms of football, might need to look for a conference to land in if the Big East loses a couple of name schools. The Big 12 would match up pretty well given it allows schools to set up deals for the own networks.

Again lots of what if's but now more far fetched than some of the other ideas thrown out there. ND probably will not go to the Big 12 tomorrow but who's to say what will occur 12 months from now.

Last edited:

Texas and OU by themselves are a bigger draw for football than all of the Big East combined.

What is left of the Big 12 will not go anywhere because there are no alternatives for them. Mizzou tried the Big 10 once before and was rebuffed.

The Big East on the other hand, probably has 2 so called national programs WVU and Pitt. And that might be stretching it. There is also this perception that the New York and New England area is a hotbed of college football.

If the ACC were to get raided by the SEC they would look to add Pitt and WVU. Then what does the Big East do? Do ISU,KSU, KU look to join them or will Cincy and Louisville look to come the Big 12. Who knows? The Big East

Notre Dame, while not a member of the Big East in terms of football, might need to look for a conference to land in if the Big East loses a couple of name schools. The Big 12 would match up pretty well given the allow schools to set up deals for the own networks.

Again lots of what if's but now more far fetched than some of the other ideas thrown out there. ND probably will not go to the Big 12 tomorrow but who's to say what will occur 12 months from now.

The basketball schools would just go off and form their own conference if that happened and ND would just go with them.

So they would stay independent? I could see that, but only if there isn't this push to create the super conferences.

If they can keep the sweetheart deal they have with the BCS then the super conference move does not affect ND. The key is getting the 4 super conferences to keep the BCS deal in place.

If the ACC were to get raided by the SEC they would look to add Pitt and WVU. Then what does the Big East do? Do ISU,KSU, KU look to join them or will Cincy and Louisville look to come the Big 12. Who knows?

Notre Dame, while not a member of the Big East in terms of football, might need to look for a conference to land in if the Big East loses a couple of name schools. The Big 12 would match up pretty well given it allows schools to set up deals for the own networks.

The super conference scenario is for 4 conferences of 16 teams. So yet most likely the Big East and Big 12 would be gone. That also means when the music stops that at least 2 of the 66 current BCS schools will be without a seat.

If super conferences do occur ISU should actually hope that BYU and ND stay independent as that would take up 2 more seats and leave 4 current BCS schools without a home; increasing the chance that ISU is left standing.

You are clueless if you don't think BYU brings eyeballs. BYU is much much much bigger nationally than Colorado. They have a fanbase across the country.

I'm sorry man, but I'm going to have to call shennanigans on you here. College football is highly provincial from a fanbase perspective - there are only a handful of teams that can even begin to claim a "national following". If you were to create a "national following index" to measure the interest in a given team outside of its home market where Notre Dame is a 10 and Colorado is a 0, BYU would probably score a 1 or maybe a 2 at best.

The idea that there are these legions of Mormon football fans quietly sitting and waiting/hoping for BYU to join the Big XII (or some other BCS conference) is just a total fallacy. If you are banking on college football following Mormons saving the Big XII, you are really up a creek.

The two conferences you have seen really making strides over the past couple years are the Big Ten and the Pac Ten. Neither conference has been particularly strong from a football perspective over the last decade (Big Ten has been O$U + a bunch of teams vying for 2nd place, Pac Ten has been U$C + a bunch of teams vying for 2nd place). It's all about geography and eyeballs...overlay a map of the Pac Ten with a US population map...overlay a map of the Big Ten with a US population map...it's not going to take too long for anyone to realize what's going on here. Neither conference has particularly "earned" this with on field performance, but fair or unfair that is not what this is about. That's going to be tough for other conferences to swallow...especially for conferences like the Big XII who - relative to the Big Ten/Pac Ten - HAVE "earned it" on the field. Like it or not, it's irrelevant.

"How far outside of my existing geographic footprint do I need to reach to grab a team that will bring more eyeballs to my conference?" That is the very simple question you have to ask yourself. The answer for the Big Ten/Pac Ten has been "not too damn far". The answer for the Big XII is "Mormons!".

It's not fair, but like everything else in college football, it's about the Benjamin's, not fairness.

You are correct that BYU would just go back to being independent but it just begs to differ is the hassle even worth it? If I were BYU I would sit back and evaluate the landscape before committing. They are in no hurry, and if the rumors are correct, the Pac 12 could be making a move as soon as before the end of the month. No need to rush into things.

I agree with you there. If I am BYU, I want Oklahoma to give me assurances that they are staying. Oklahoma has been pretty quiet compared to other schools the past couple of days. With that said, I still think BYU joins, OK stays, and the Big 12 survives for now until the next wave of drama hits. You just can't have that much power at the top without the other schools keeping one eye out for something better...unless you are a school like ISU where clinging on to the short and curlys of Texas is the best you can do.

Commissioner Scott over in the Pac-12 seems to think he has the stones large enough to control Texas. If he can get them to drop the LHN and turn it into a regional network like they have for the existing teams, the Pac-12 may have a chance to tame them.

Don't think Texas goes for this, they work with ND to creates their own conference before that happens.

Heck they are already talking about setting up a game with ND on Thanksgiving weekend, (though I thought this slot was reserved for USC).

Face it once they got the LHN and the $$ associated with it, the Pac 12 option came off the table. You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. Heck Texas could go independent and probably do very well.

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy
by marcmorehouse
@kbohls reports OU, OSU, Texas & Tech will announce to Pac 12 by October bit.ly/pKr5MW

One more move and Big 12 is over

I don't really understand the reasoning here. Now all of these schools are suddenly longing to join the Pac 12? By all accounts they all had an inviitation to do that very thing last summer. There would have been no "political heat" then either because everyone could have pointed at Nebby and Colorado for making the first move.

Nope. Not buying this one at all.

I don't really understand the reasoning here. Now all of these schools are suddenly longing to join the Pac 12? By all accounts they all had an inviitation to do that very thing last summer. There would have been no "political heat" then either because everyone could have pointed at Nebby and Colorado for making the first move.

Nope. Not buying this one at all.

Maybe the rats are more convinced that the ship is sinking this year.

Don't think Texas goes for this, they work with ND to creates their own conference before that happens.

Heck they are already talking about setting up a game with ND on Thanksgiving weekend, (though I thought this slot was reserved for USC).

Face it once they got the LHN and the $$ associated with it, the Pac 12 option came off the table. You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. Heck Texas could go independent and probably do very well.

If Texas thinks they can make a lot more money in the Pac 12, they would go. If they plan to go independent, they will use the Big 12 for awhile and then through them to the side like trash. And of course, there is a chance they keep it together until other schools finally get sick of bending over and leave like A&M. ND is not coming to the Big 12 period.

The super conference scenario is for 4 conferences of 16 teams. So yet most likely the Big East and Big 12 would be gone. That also means when the music stops that at least 2 of the 66 current BCS schools will be without a seat.

If super conferences do occur ISU should actually hope that BYU and ND stay independent as that would take up 2 more seats and leave 4 current BCS schools without a home; increasing the chance that ISU is left standing.

That's a good point.

UCONN, Rutgers, ISU, KSU, USF, Baylor, maybe a couple of others fall into this big pool. Also not sure if the ACC is in a great place either, the SEC would probably hit them up, as would the Big 10. A school like Wake isn't without risk either.

Guess will see what ESPN wants to do, because in the end they will probably be the ones driving the bus.

Latest posts