Bye-bye, Eddie!

LawVHawk

It's being reported that Ed Hightower will be making his last visit to Carver-Hawkeye for Sunday's Iowa - Arkansas-Pine Bluff game before he retires at the end of the year. Fortunately, this should be a relatively easy game for Iowa and one Eddie can't screw up that badly. Still ...

Serious question: will the CHA crowd be respectful, even warm, in sending a long-time D1 basketball official into retirement? Or will he get razzberries?

As much as I dislike the guy's show-boating and the way he has called many Iowa games, I sort of hope the CHA crowd is respectful and gives him a big ovation. And I think it will. Stay classy, Hawks.

hightower.gif

It is my belief that Iowa fans should and WILL go with a standing ovation out of respect for one of, if not THE greatest college basketball referee of all time.

Sincerely,

Ed Hightower

99% of our fan-base is just getting back into basketball. They aren't going to know that Eddie is retiring.

Ted Valentine needs to go right along with him

Wrong. He needs to go out ahead of Hightower. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hightower is a good official when it comes to making the right calls. I can't stand the way he likes to make a show of himself, but at least he typically does a pretty good job of enforcing the rules.

Valentine, on the other hand, is just as showboaty, but he gets calls wrong all the time. He's also the biggest kiss-*** to the nation's top coaches that I've ever seen.

I'd feel much better with Hightower officiating a game against MSU or Indiana than I would Valentine.

Izzo gave him a nice sendoff and I would hope Fran does the same. Anything less could work against the Hawks in future games. Referee's are a tight fraternity and a Carver crowd booing Eddie out of town would be remembered in my opinion.

Oh darn, Hightower going to be gone, what a shame. He is totally worthless, it is so bad that when you get evenly matched teams, but based on his relationship with the coaches, you can always predict who would win. There are so many games that I have turned off because it was going to be so sad. NCAA tournament games especially. Valentine is worse than him and I can't wait until that idiot is gone as well.

Here is the ultimate question though: Will officiating be any better without Hightower, nope because it has gotten so terrible.

Eddie's going to go to the doctor for his retirement check up at the doctor, and they are going to find out what we have all known for years...the dude's blind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him walking around with coke bottle glasses.

99% of our fan-base is just getting back into basketball. They aren't going to know that Eddie is retiring.
Dude I'm 31, and I can remember despising this man when I was a little boy. I've been eagerly awaiting his last game at Carver for what seems like forever. I can remember him making terrible calls against the hawks that nearly made me cry as a kid. The first time I ever got in trouble for cussing out loud in front of my mother was from yelling at him through the TV. It actually brings back memories to see him go, but I won't miss i
him. Farewell. AND please people, have the class not to boo him, just be happy he is gone.

I'm sure he will get a nice reception. On a side note, I heard from a trusted source that Jim Bain is going to come out of retirement & takes his spot.

Wrong. He needs to go out ahead of Hightower. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hightower is a good official when it comes to making the right calls. I can't stand the way he likes to make a show of himself, but at least he typically does a pretty good job of enforcing the rules.

Valentine, on the other hand, is just as showboaty, but he gets calls wrong all the time. He's also the biggest kiss-*** to the nation's top coaches that I've ever seen.

I'd feel much better with Hightower officiating a game against MSU or Indiana than I would Valentine.

I think HIghtower has actually regressed over time, similar to Iowa QB's in the program. I used to think he was better years ago, but as of the last 5 or so yrs questionable. REfs should not become part of the game & he did a bad job of making himself noticed or a part of the game.

Jim, Ted Kennedy, Burr is the worst of all the big names that are left. He needs to be gone ahead of both Valentine and Hightower. I believe he was the head official of that Big East tourney debacle a couple of years ago.

Latest posts