bullet holes in pickup...........

Actually beg to differ. Having taught at various sized schools, in small towns you can't avoid it. In bigger schools kids have choices. As far as gang violence, it's happening a lot of places now. An 18 year old kid working at a gas station was shot and killed by a random robber in our very safe town. A 23 yo female was brutally murdered in a random attack that authorities have no idea how that happened.

The church shooting...small town. Columbine is a smallish suburb.
I compared Nashville to several Iowa cities per 100k people I chose Waterloo for obvious reasons. Marshaltown was random as was Dubuque.

One needs to be aware where ever you are. Some crime data stats.
Rapes
Nashville - 61
Marshalltown - 119
Waterloo - 88
Dubuque - Rapes 52
Des Moines - 88

Assault
Nashville - 804
Marshalltown - 619
Waterloo - 793
Dubuque - 179
Des Moines - 793

Murder
Nashville - 8.2
Marshalltown - 3.6
Waterloo - 5.9
Dubuque - 8.5
Des Moines - 9

The Today Show????

In big cities, there are obvious areas one should not go. My stupid sons, one an attorney decided to drive by Simeon HS in Chicago for fun. Idiots.
I guess my definition of small town is different from yours. And you always have a choice. There's meth and drugs around here, too, but I wouldn't even know how to get them if I wanted to.

Last edited:
Have to correct you bc it drives me and other gun owners nuts...It's not a clip; it's a magazine. Clips hold rounds together as a single unit. Too many dumbasses throwing around the wrong terminology that makes other dumbasses who don't know shit about firearms try to push bills using wrong terminology to frighten the sheeple into taking away my rights.

Ever loaded and fired a M-1 Garand? Lots of men who served in the US military through WW2 and Korea call magazines clips. My uncles who fought in both those wars called magazines clips. That little mistake in nomenclature has been passed down by those men who carried those M-1 rifle in defense of this country to sons and grandsons. Not a big deal really.

the m-1 garand did use a clip not a magazine, so calling it a clip was correct.

Magazine:
Some are fixed to the firearm while others are removable. A cartridge “clip” has no spring and does not feed shells directly into the chamber. Rather, clips hold cartridges in the correct sequence for “charging” a specific firearm's magazine. Stripper clips allow rounds to be “stripped” into the magazine.

Last edited:
I guess my definition of small town is different from yours. And you always have a choice. There's meth and drugs around here, too, but I wouldn't even know how to get them if I wanted to.

I'm a small town farm kid. My wife from a big city. That's why I've had these discussions I work in agriculture. I find meth labs on farms. It's kind of scary not knowing what you'll run up against.

Crime is related to education and income. Iowa ranks above average on high school graduation (not top 10) and 48th on college graduation. Again, the church shooting was in a small town.

Nashville is a beautiful city. Like anywhere, if you go looking for trouble you'll find it, My dad was among a lot of things a small town police officer and knew a lot of officers at the sheriff and state level. I've been all over down town Nashville with my wife and kids. Love the place.

My point is that anywhere you go, one needs to be diligent. Where ever the bowl is, enjoy the city. Don't go looking for trouble. I saw more drug and alcohol abuse...and violence in my small town than my wife from the "city" ever imagined.

Mt. Pleasant used to have a lot of murders. Not for a long time. Oelwein I would have thought to be worse than it is.

Per 100k

Murder - 0
Rape - 11.6
Assault - 69

Mason City
Murder - 11
Rape - 7.3
Assault - 99.2

Mt Vernon
Murder - 0
Rape - 22
Assault - 44.2

Cedar Rapids
Murder- 4.6
Rape - 23.1
Assault - 169

Oelwein
Murder - 0
Rape - 49
Assault - 424

Rapes
Nashville - 61
Marshalltown - 119
Waterloo - 88
Dubuque - Rapes 52
Des Moines - 88

Assault
Nashville - 804
Marshalltown - 619
Waterloo - 793
Dubuque - 179
Des Moines - 793

Murder
Nashville - 8.2
Marshalltown - 3.6
Waterloo - 5.9
Dubuque - 8.5
Des Moines - 9

If you leave the house your risking your life. Doesn't matter where you are anymore. Some places just have a little better odds then others but there's no guarantees.
ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

Wife and I went to Nashville in September and had a great time. We stayed in a VRBO in Franklin which was much cheaper than a hotel in Nashville and just used Uber for the 10 minute drive back and forth.

We watched the Hawks play Wyoming at Bailey's Pub & Grill which is where the Nashville Iowa Club hosts game watches.

If the Hawks do wind up in Nashville, I'm going to disappointed as we won't be going since we just went. Had I known, I would have preferred the bowl trip.

As a fellow Hawkeyes fan and as a father with three children I just want to give a friendly warning to all of you if Iowa plays in Nashville. There are bad parts of Nashville so PLEASE do your home work and stay in the better parts of Nashville with your hotel reservations. I am not sure what parts are the worse. Maybe call someone who lives in the area, the chamber of commerce, or the police department.

About ten years ago I went to work the night shift at my plant on the south side of Atlanta (somewhat dangerous area in and of itself) and noticed a friends pick up littered with holes. I found him in the plant and asked what happened. He said he had gone on a trip up north with his brother and their children. He had grown up in Nashville and on the way back home he got off at the exit in his old neighborhood. It was about 900 pm when he pulled in to get gas. He said he should have known better when he saw the bars over the windows. Two men we just hanging around outside at each corner of the gas station. When he and his brother walked up to the window to pay for gas through the barred window the two guys came up behind him wth a gun and demanded they give him their wallets. When my friend took out his wallet he was nervous and accidentally dropped it. The thieves reached down to get the wallet and that was when my friend and his brother ran to their truck. As they sped out of the gas station the thieves fired several shots at the truck ( I counted at least six holes). My friend told me that, that was once a very safe neighborhood that had been over run by drugs and crime.

I am not telling you not to go to the game but please be careful what part of town you stay in and if you go out to eat or checkout Nashville be very careful. If I was still in Atlanta I would drive the four hours to see the game and probably stay at a hotel over night but I would make calls to determine the safer areas to stay at.

Have a great time if you go and I’ll be watching the game from my man cave in our basement here in the state of Utah.

I can somewhat vouch for this as well. We stopped overnight in Nashville this past summer on our way home from vacation in South Carolina, stayed at a decent (somewhat sketchy, but affordable, and a place to sleep) hotel called Millenium Maxwell House. The hotel itself was safe, but they were sure to tell us to not walk off property. So, like someone else said, all big cities can be like this, for some reason Nashville, which one might assume is not, has pockets of unsafe areas which may blend in a little better with the surroundings. That said, we had a great time while there, the areas with all the restaurants and clubs is an awesome scene.

Ferguson Effect. As I mischievously toss that little nugget into this thread.

Could be. Things change for better and worse all the time. Could also be related to the general anger that got Trump elected. Who knows. One thing that has changed in small towns along interstates is the presence of M-13 in small transportation hub communities. Most don't see it but it's there. It's in Iowa. It's in smaller towns. Don' t go looking and you'll likely never have problems. Was in Flagstaff once and someone tried to carjack my car with the wife and kids in it. We had a pushing match at my door when my wife was able to shut it. Click went the locks. The guy and I just stood there looking at each other, stopping the shoving at that point. I pushed him back one last time and walked around the other side of the car where people in the hotel could see me. I had stopped only to re-position camping gear on the top of the van. I should have been more aware of my surroundings and have gotten out on the other side to begin with.

Ever loaded and fired a M-1 Garand? Lots of men who served in the US military through WW2 and Korea call magazines clips. My uncles who fought in both those wars called magazines clips. That little mistake in nomenclature has been passed down by those men who carried those M-1 rifle in defense of this country to sons and grandsons. Not a big deal really.

That's bc the M1 IS clip-fed. May not seem like a big deal, but in today's politically charged world people are either purposefully using incorrect terms, or are willfully ignorant, in order to push their agenda. Examples include calling an AR an "assault rifle" or all the misinformation about bump stocks and how they work. Everyone and their mom is now an expert on bump stocks now despite about only .00005% of the population actually having used one.

I'm a small town farm kid. My wife from a big city. That's why I've had these discussions I work in agriculture. I find meth labs on farms. It's kind of scary not knowing what you'll run up against.

Crime is related to education and income. Iowa ranks above average on high school graduation (not top 10) and 48th on college graduation. Again, the church shooting was in a small town.

Nashville is a beautiful city. Like anywhere, if you go looking for trouble you'll find it, My dad was among a lot of things a small town police officer and knew a lot of officers at the sheriff and state level. I've been all over down town Nashville with my wife and kids. Love the place.

My point is that anywhere you go, one needs to be diligent. Where ever the bowl is, enjoy the city. Don't go looking for trouble. I saw more drug and alcohol abuse...and violence in my small town than my wife from the "city" ever imagined.

Mt. Pleasant used to have a lot of murders. Not for a long time. Oelwein I would have thought to be worse than it is.

Per 100k

Murder - 0
Rape - 11.6
Assault - 69

Mason City
Murder - 11
Rape - 7.3
Assault - 99.2

Mt Vernon
Murder - 0
Rape - 22
Assault - 44.2

Cedar Rapids
Murder- 4.6
Rape - 23.1
Assault - 169

Oelwein
Murder - 0
Rape - 49
Assault - 424

Rapes
Nashville - 61
Marshalltown - 119
Waterloo - 88
Dubuque - Rapes 52
Des Moines - 88

Assault
Nashville - 804
Marshalltown - 619
Waterloo - 793
Dubuque - 179
Des Moines - 793

Murder
Nashville - 8.2
Marshalltown - 3.6
Waterloo - 5.9
Dubuque - 8.5
Des Moines - 9
According to Iowa Ed Dept, Iowa HS grad rate is now 90%, which I believe is tops in the nation. Iowa also has very high standardized test scores and literacy rates. That being said, any city over 50,000 will have good and bad parts of town. It behooves anyone traveling to a larger city to educate themselves ahead of time, its common sense. Also, common parlance is to use magazine and clip interchangeably, much as there are to ways to pronounce "harass". For years the correct way was "harris" but everyone said "huh-rass" until the purists gave up and said okay whatever.

This clip-mag thing is an okay whatever.

According to Iowa Ed Dept, Iowa HS grad rate is now 90%, which I believe is tops in the nation. Iowa also has very high standardized test scores and literacy rates. That being said, any city over 50,000 will have good and bad parts of town. It behooves anyone traveling to a larger city to educate themselves ahead of time, its common sense. Also, common parlance is to use magazine and clip interchangeably, much as there are to ways to pronounce "harass". For years the correct way was "harris" but everyone said "huh-rass" until the purists gave up and said okay whatever.

This clip-mag thing is an okay whatever.

I looked at one and they weren't top 10. In this one it is #1.
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_coi.pdf

States with the lowest minority populations have a high correlation of graduation rates. Not sure why Iowa has such a low percentage of college graduates. One would think that standardized tests and literacy would correlate.

I do think that cell phones have revolutionized how we perceive things. A fight in public like at a school is likely going to be recorded.

Anyway Nashville is a nice place. The traffic can be a real pain. They drive really fast in TN too.

I saw a story on television last spring about Graceland where Elvis built his home and how that area where it is located is now a very dangerous place.

If Iowa does end up in Nashville I believe that Tennessee recognizes Iowa's concealed carry permit. Best to confirm that yourself before showing up with your carry gun.

That's bc the M1 IS clip-fed. May not seem like a big deal, but in today's politically charged world people are either purposefully using incorrect terms, or are willfully ignorant, in order to push their agenda. Examples include calling an AR an "assault rifle" or all the misinformation about bump stocks and how they work. Everyone and their mom is now an expert on bump stocks now despite about only .00005% of the population actually having used one.

And I am saying the confusion over what people call an ammunition holder is way down on the list of why people should be concerned about how a bullet is put into a firing chamber of any gun or what AR means in AR 15. I couldn't care less about those confusions. Its's not just how many bullets in the magazine, It's the muzzle velocity of those bullets when they leave that gun and the damage they can do when fired in a crowd of people. There are a few other major concerns about guns and gun ownership that are miles above what people call magazines.

And IMO the NRA pushes this kind of confusing agenda like, if you don't know the difference between a clip and a magazine. So what do you know about guns? In an attempt to trivialize legitimate concerns people have about what is really going on. People who can't be trusted with guns are getting them to easily and those numbers are growing and we need to do something about it. And as long as the NRA keeps turning a blind eye to this situation and the shootings keep happening and increasing in the death tolls. You will see Australia sooner than you think. If you own and possess guns as I do and don't want to lose that right, the NRA is not helping the situation.

JMO

Last edited:

Latest posts