bullet holes in pickup...........

BigD

As a fellow Hawkeyes fan and as a father with three children I just want to give a friendly warning to all of you if Iowa plays in Nashville. There are bad parts of Nashville so PLEASE do your home work and stay in the better parts of Nashville with your hotel reservations. I am not sure what parts are the worse. Maybe call someone who lives in the area, the chamber of commerce, or the police department.

About ten years ago I went to work the night shift at my plant on the south side of Atlanta (somewhat dangerous area in and of itself) and noticed a friends pick up littered with holes. I found him in the plant and asked what happened. He said he had gone on a trip up north with his brother and their children. He had grown up in Nashville and on the way back home he got off at the exit in his old neighborhood. It was about 900 pm when he pulled in to get gas. He said he should have known better when he saw the bars over the windows. Two men we just hanging around outside at each corner of the gas station. When he and his brother walked up to the window to pay for gas through the barred window the two guys came up behind him wth a gun and demanded they give him their wallets. When my friend took out his wallet he was nervous and accidentally dropped it. The thieves reached down to get the wallet and that was when my friend and his brother ran to their truck. As they sped out of the gas station the thieves fired several shots at the truck ( I counted at least six holes). My friend told me that, that was once a very safe neighborhood that had been over run by drugs and crime.

I am not telling you not to go to the game but please be careful what part of town you stay in and if you go out to eat or checkout Nashville be very careful. If I was still in Atlanta I would drive the four hours to see the game and probably stay at a hotel over night but I would make calls to determine the safer areas to stay at.

Have a great time if you go and I’ll be watching the game from my man cave in our basement here in the state of Utah.

Nashville is also a very nice city. Warning well taken, but one has to be diligent about anywhere. I live in one of the safest cities in my current state. Several years ago a young woman was brutally murdered and no arrests were ever made.

That said, I saw a tremendous amount of violence, drugs, and drinking in my small and religious Iowa home town. My wife went to a larger high school in a city known for violence in another state. She's shocked at what goes on in small towns in re to behavior and violence.

So what you are saying is, "in a big city, there may be undesirable areas where crime occurs.". Hmmm...are you sure? Those are Trump's people and he's tough on crime. Fake news here guys.

If you leave the house your risking your life. Doesn't matter where you are anymore. Some places just have a little better odds then others but there's no guarantees.

I would hope that when people travel to Bowl Games or places they haven't been before would be doing research.. As for Nashville I Love it, never had any issues and been there a dozen of times.. Wife and I Just went down in July for 4 days..

Be smart...

Don't be naive...

Trust no one...

Be prepared for what might happen...

Buy fuel before entering cities...

Glock 41 (with extra clips-loaded) nearby...(know how to shoot it)

And don't be judgmental...they will shoot at you, rob you, and shoot at your pick up...only because there is racism and because they don't have good paying jobs.

Nashville is also a very nice city. Warning well taken, but one has to be diligent about anywhere. I live in one of the safest cities in my current state. Several years ago a young woman was brutally murdered and no arrests were ever made.

That said, I saw a tremendous amount of violence, drugs, and drinking in my small and religious Iowa home town. My wife went to a larger high school in a city known for violence in another state. She's shocked at what goes on in small towns in re to behavior and violence.

Many drugs and labs. I grew up in a small town as well. Bored individuals sometimes don't find the most constructive things to do. That or individuals want to be a part of a group and fall into bad groups.

I already booked a room, I'm here waiting for the game.

marriott%2Bhotel%2Bpool.JPG

If you get out of a car at night at a gas station that they only way to transact with the cashier is through a window covered by bars, then you shouldn't be getting out of your car at that station. It doesn't really matter what city you are in. You've pretty much assumed the risk of getting rolled at a place like that. Nashville is a fine city, Broadway is fun, great restaurants, the stadium is nice. Not much risk hanging around in those places. If you want to save some money on rooms, go south of Nashville to Mufreesboro area, or north to Clarksville, both are short drives to the city. But don't drink and drive.

Be smart...

Don't be naive...

Trust no one...

Be prepared for what might happen...

Buy fuel before entering cities...

Glock 41 (with extra clips-loaded) nearby...(know how to shoot it)

And don't be judgmental...they will shoot at you, rob you, and shoot at your pick up...only because there is racism and because they don't have good paying jobs.

Have to correct you bc it drives me and other gun owners nuts...It's not a clip; it's a magazine. Clips hold rounds together as a single unit. Too many dumbasses throwing around the wrong terminology that makes other dumbasses who don't know shit about firearms try to push bills using wrong terminology to frighten the sheeple into taking away my rights.

Local Nashvillian here. I've lived here 10 years and never want to leave. I absolutely love this town. It's big enough to have something to offer to everyone, but small enough to make it all accessible. But I digress. Like any large city in this wonderful country, there are bound to be a few seedy parts. I'd avoid north Nashville altogether and certain parts of east Nashville. East Nashville has started to clean up and grow a good bit over the last few years with great food and great bars. I'd suggest checking out the 5 points area, Pharmacy Burger, Edly's BBQ, the Red Door and 3 Crow Bars. If you are looking to stay closer to downtown/Nissan Stadium, I would suggest staying near the Vanderbilt/Belmont area. There are quite a few nice hotels and plenty to do around that area. Also, Nissan Stadium and Broadway are very accessible. If you are looking to stay outside of the downtown area, I would suggest the Brentwood or Cool Springs/Franklin areas. It's about a 25/30 minute drive up I-65, but these areas are very clean with plenty to do. Another spot that I would suggest is the Opryland Hotel. If you haven't been, it's at least worth a visit. While here, check out any of the Nashville Hot Chicken joints (Hattie B's, Prince's, Pepperfire). You won't regret it. Bailey's Pub on Broadway is where the Nashville alumni association meets for the games. Otherwise, feel free to IM me if you have any questions on where to stay or what to do. Also, I am very big into the disc golf scene around here and can point you to the best courses or just meet up for a round.

Yes, extra magazines are your friend...

I use the term clip and magazine for the same item...right or wrong...

Now...confusing a semi automatic with an automatic...is a bigger and more frustrating distinction...and more common

The difference is, in small towns you can easily avoid the bad stuff by just avoiding it and the trash who are responsible. In a big city, you have a better chance of just being a random victim.

The difference is, in small towns you can easily avoid the bad stuff by just avoiding it and the trash who are responsible. In a big city, you have a better chance of just being a random victim.

Actually beg to differ. Having taught at various sized schools, in small towns you can't avoid it. In bigger schools kids have choices. As far as gang violence, it's happening a lot of places now. An 18 year old kid working at a gas station was shot and killed by a random robber in our very safe town. A 23 yo female was brutally murdered in a random attack that authorities have no idea how that happened.

The church shooting...small town. Columbine is a smallish suburb.
I compared Nashville to several Iowa cities per 100k people I chose Waterloo for obvious reasons. Marshaltown was random as was Dubuque.

One needs to be aware where ever you are. Some crime data stats.
Rapes
Nashville - 61
Marshalltown - 119
Waterloo - 88
Dubuque - Rapes 52
Des Moines - 88

Assault
Nashville - 804
Marshalltown - 619
Waterloo - 793
Dubuque - 179
Des Moines - 793

Murder
Nashville - 8.2
Marshalltown - 3.6
Waterloo - 5.9
Dubuque - 8.5
Des Moines - 9

The Today Show????

In big cities, there are obvious areas one should not go. My stupid sons, one an attorney decided to drive by Simeon HS in Chicago for fun. Idiots.

About ten years ago I went to work the night shift at my plant on the south side of Atlanta (somewhat dangerous area in and of itself) and noticed a friends pick up littered with holes. I found him in the plant and asked what happened. He said he had gone on a trip up north with his brother and their children. He had grown up in Nashville and on the way back home he got off at the exit in his old neighborhood. It was about 900 pm when he pulled in to get gas. He said he should have known better when he saw the bars over the windows. Two men we just hanging around outside at each corner of the gas station. When he and his brother walked up to the window to pay for gas through the barred window the two guys came up behind him wth a gun and demanded they give him their wallets. When my friend took out his wallet he was nervous and accidentally dropped it. The thieves reached down to get the wallet and that was when my friend and his brother ran to their truck. As they sped out of the gas station the thieves fired several shots at the truck ( I counted at least six holes). My friend told me that, that was once a very safe neighborhood that had been over run by drugs and crime.

sounds like the east side of Des Moines. What has it been, 2 days since a Git-N-Go was robbed last?