Brust Given his release

Not if he doesn't want to really be here and is 100% committed to the program.
It's deeper than that. There are a lot of things that were going on internally with the Iowa program. Things happened, things were said, Lick gets let go, some of those things that happened are still lingering in the program now - even with McCaffery here.

Iowa might be his favorite school, but the program is now completely different and not the one he committed to... on several different levels.

It's deeper than that. There are a lot of things that were going on internally with the Iowa program. Things happened, things were said, Lick gets let go, some of those things that happened are still lingering in the program now - even with McCaffery here.

Iowa might be his favorite school, but the program is now completely different and not the one he committed to... on several different levels.

I respect your thoughts stormin, but unless you are going to give a little more detail than that very vague statement, I would think not commenting would be the smartest angle. All this does is rile people up even worse.

This program has not the one he committed to, thats correct, if you say it is coaching. However, the school has not changed, and nobody can agrue the attendance issues and huge losses this year, and three year steady decline.

I understand how kids can like a coach or staff. But for goodness sake look what transpired. Should a kid have 100% trust in any staff? Iowa is a solid school, Big Ten a great conference and I have heard nearly nothing bad about Fran, including from Siena admin and fan base.

This is just hard to beleive the program looks worse now.

Larson will be tougher to replace than Brust,if it comes to that. Tall guys are harder to find.
As was said...sign Basabe, and a couple of athletic juco guards and start recruiting for 2011 and 2012 and 2013.
Next year likely will be ugly...what nu?

I am not sure what real internal issues there were, other than when you lose 21 games and get embarased on TV doing it, it ain't a party.

People seem to imply Matt Gatens is trying to blowup the very program he is the poster boy for. He played 39 minutes a game, hurt half the time. He is still here while others are bailing. Just seems odd.

The recruits and the freshmen seem to have liked Lick quite a bit. They do not like that he was fired and maybe, more importantly, how he was treated. Now Mac has to clean things up. Brust and Larson may still end up at Iowa, maybe not. Regardless, Mac has to recruit at least two more players - PG and PF. I would not mind if he held at least one scholarship for next year.

I am not sure how he was treated, but just about an entire state was happy when it happened. Not many people wanted to go go through another year like this one. It was looking like a train off the tracks and Lick did little to help it.

Im OK with this, honestly.
Part of the reason we suffered thru Licks tenure was the steady exodus of players he didnt recruit. It left us short handed and inexperienced for all 3 years of his tenure.
I hope Fran is approaching this differently and telling everyone of them whats going to happen and how its going to happen. No sugar coating. Then they can decide if they really want to be here for the long haul.
I think this is good news.
Not because talented players are asking out of their LOIs. Its because I'd rather it be sooner than later.

Part of the reason we suffered thru Licks tenure was the steady exodus of players he didnt recruit. It left us short handed and inexperienced for all 3 years of his tenure.
I hope Fran is approaching this differently and telling everyone of them whats going to happen and how its going to happen. No sugar coating. Then they can decide if they really want to be here for the long haul.
Not because talented players are asking out of their LOIs. Its because I'd rather it be sooner than later.

Very good point.

Good point, I think your right about Fran not sugar coating it.

Or more like rats jumping off a sinking ship. What better excuse will there be presented to them to leave a 20+ loss team for anything better.

The guys that do stay are some of the greatest character individuals that will ever put on the Black and Gold.

Or more like rats jumping off a sinking ship. What better excuse will there be presented to them to leave a 20+ loss team for anything better.

They guys that do stay are some of the greatest character individuals that will ever put on the Black and Gold.
Very true, these are guys Iowa needs on the team.

They guys that do stay are some of the greatest character individuals that will ever put on the Black and Gold.

Who wants rats on a ship? Sinking or otherwise? I want 13 captains that are willing to stay behind and go down if necessary.
Trust me, we are better off cleaning house. No regrets that way and no excuses.
Then we know that the players we have, want to be here.

Last edited:
Got no issues...I would rather see Fran build his own house. There will be guys that want to be Iowa players and Fran's guys. Next year will be brutal though!!!

does the statement made by both Larson and Brust "that they want to be re-recruited by the new coaching staff at Iowa" give any hope they will ultimately end up at Iowa?

It is what it is so FM just keep doing what you know how to do and thigs will work out just fine.IMO we have some recruits here that are not putting intelligent thoughts together regarding their future.

does the statement made by both Larson and Brust "that they want to be re-recruited by the new coaching staff at Iowa" give any hope they will ultimately end up at Iowa?

They could. I dont think its an unreasonable request. Especially when you consider the fact that Fran doesnt even have a staff hired. Fran could hire the Three Stooges for all they know. I'd probably want to meet the staff before I made my decision.

Latest posts