Bruce Pearl

Well said Jack! I too was confused by this post. Fran has proven he was a great choice to get ths program turned in the right direction and now because a 3 game loosing streak some want to show Fran the door? Wow, some folks have a real short memory around here when it comes to just how bad things were here in the Lickliter era. Gees thats gratatude for ya!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Personally I think the Lickliter era is irrelevant now...Fran has been here for four years now...it's time we start judging him on his own accomplishments and not comparing him to the previous regime...And so far, we still can't finish games and falter in Feb/March...

Personally I think the Lickliter era is irrelevant now...Fran has been here for four years now...it's time we start judging him on his own accomplishments and not comparing him to the previous regime...And so far, we still can't finish games and falter in Feb/March...

SoaS, we were still playing in April last season. We went 4-1 in March and April. My opinion is that Fran builds tournament teams due to his background at Lehigh, NC-Greensboro and Siena, where the league tournament champs got the NCAA bid.

I think the Licklighter era is relevent for this season in that we must not forget just how low our program got. It has been a tremendous effort by Fran, his staff & the players to get to this point. Next season, is all about Fran having this program built, where does he take it?

And, if we are going to generalize and relate past performance to future results, we should all be itching to get to the NCAA because we should expect a nice run, based on last season's NIT run to the championship game

Am I reading this wrong or do you want Fran to move on soon?

Did you mean if/when Fran were to move on you would want Pearl as the next coach at Iowa?

Hawkeye12345, for some reason this site won't allow me to reply with quote to your post, or I would do so. Okay, fine UT and not TU...he was at Tennessee. I made a lot of money betting against Bruce Pearl and UT (that's UT just to make you happy) because it was a given that his teams would choke. Read my post again, I stated he had the talent. But his teams were undisciplined and choked each season. With the talent he had, he should have easily made it to at least 2 and probably more Final Fours. During his time at UT, they were top 10 ranked during the season 5 of 6 years, but made only 2 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8. And remember, the NCAA violation was illegal phone contact with recruits that he misled (lied to) the NCAA about. It doesn't matter that the specific violation may or may not be a violation, today, it was one at the time. At the surface, yes, Pearl had a good looking NCAA resume. But, they under achieved in the NCAA because his teams were undisciplined. Then, there is the NCAA sanction against him. Look, you would want Pearl coaching at Iowa, I wouldn't. So we disagree. Big effing deal. But trying to be an internet tough guy by telling someone to "have a clue" is high humor.

There is a great book that sometimes people need reminded of: What got you here won't get you there. Fran has achieved great success at Iowa (and other places) but he has not reached the top. He has blatantly apparent issues that, if not corrected, will prevent Iowa from reaching our potential. All great leaders have transactional flaws that if left uncorrected prevent greatness.

None of you can honestly say that you enjoy Fran getting T'd up on the sidelines. Can any of you actually explain why we continue to run 10 or even 11 deep? We are now in year 4 of what can be viewed as exceptional success and yet the recruiting classes haven't reflected any noticeable up tick in recruiting. Team defense has been an issue from day 1 and is not improving.

All of these can be fixed IF the coach recognizes them to be an issue. To date we still suck at D, we still run 10+ players on the floor, the next T is always moments away.

There is a great book that sometimes people need reminded of: What got you here won't get you there. Fran has achieved great success at Iowa (and other places) but he has not reached the top. He has blatantly apparent issues that, if not corrected, will prevent Iowa from reaching our potential. All great leaders have transactional flaws that if left uncorrected prevent greatness.

None of you can honestly say that you enjoy Fran getting T'd up on the sidelines. Can any of you actually explain why we continue to run 10 or even 11 deep? We are now in year 4 of what can be viewed as exceptional success and yet the recruiting classes haven't reflected any noticeable up tick in recruiting. Team defense has been an issue from day 1 and is not improving.

All of these can be fixed IF the coach recognizes them to be an issue. To date we still suck at D, we still run 10+ players on the floor, the next T is always moments away.

Recruiting is where it realistically should be. Iowa has only had a practice facility for what 2 years now? Iowa had a strong showing last year considering everything. Iowa seems to at least be in on big name recruits where they can talk to them and not get laughed at. With this solid season and ncaa berth Iowa could get some bigger class of 2015 recruits. Hell maybe someone bigger from 2014 slips to Iowa.

I would not worry about recruiting yet. Lets see what 2015 commits Iowa gets.

I'm all for waiting to see if recruiting picks up after the tourney but we can't fall back into the 'wait until next year' crap like we did with Alford.

I'm all for waiting to see if recruiting picks up after the tourney but we can't fall back into the 'wait until next year' crap like we did with Alford.

I am hoping that Fran is waiting to see (assuming an NCAA bid) how we do in the tourney before going after the last 2 scholly's he has for next season. I think that would be the smart play. He has his next 3/4 in Dom Uhl signed, and his next JO in Ellingson signed. Could be a good strategy to wait as see how the NCAA plays out and then use that momentum. Personally, I think Iowa is a sweet 16 and maybe an elite 8 team, depending on the draw.

Had we hired Pearl three years ago, as suggested, it is highly possible that this team would be not only in the hunt for a B1G championship but a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Ah Lickliter had 3 years. Fran is on year 8. Put that into perspective.

Latest posts