Bruce Pearl

I don't want another head coach. I want Fran to get it going. I really like the guy and I think he makes the necessary changes to get it going. Are there some things he does that I don't agree with? Yes. Does that make him a poor coach? No.
As for Pearle....I don't think I would take him as our head coach. Not sure how well he would be received in Chicago, on recruiting trips. I don't trust him to do everything above board either.

Yeah because we wouldn't want to screw up our impressive Chicago basketball pipeline that we have recently cultivated...:rolleyes:

lol...I am not even sure Fran/Lick have even talked with anyone in Chicago. (I would add Alford...but I don't really remember and I assume he pulled one kid from there).

lol...I am not even sure Fran/Lick have even talked with anyone in Chicago. (I would add Alford...but I don't really remember and I assume he pulled one kid from there).

Lick, doubtful.

Fran? Tyler Ulis is from Chicago. Fran has been in on a few Chicago kids since he has been here.

Lick, doubtful.

Fran? Tyler Ulis is from Chicago. Fran has been in on a few Chicago kids since he has been here.

I didn't realize he was...but so far it hasn't amounted to any player donning the black and gold...might as well recruit Missoula, Montana.

This has been an exciting season, similar to last seasons. We might have been more of a team at the end of last season. Perhaps, Eric May's leadership had something to do with it. Perhaps it is too much nationai publicity based on last year's NIT Championship run.

Fran can't be blamed for the turnovers and missed free throws down the stretch. Team seems to lose focus while the other team smells the blood in the water. Our opponents, especially in the Big Ten seem to have taken our transition game away even after a missed shot. We used to beat them down the floor, now they send their team racing back to play D. That is a factor, forcing us to play half court offense which we are adjusting to very well up to a point.

We simply have to stop giving the games away with turnovers. Was it the Minnesota game where Greg made two straight turnovers followed by two straight by Devyn, all this under ten minutes when we were making a comeback. We must value the ball like a new born baby. Also a few games would have been victories if we had made more free throws. It is physically painful to watch the front end of a one and one bang off the rim into the hands of the opponent......

Intensity and concentration and getting back to where the game is fun to play would do wonders. Sometimes we seem to be running scared.....

I know how good this team can play as do everyone who posts here and has watched the games. We have played some outstanding games and some less than stellar ones also. It is really crunch time now. We are in danger of not getting a bye for the Big Ten Tournament, although the way things are going in the Big, upsets are quite frequent this season. A few good teams have had losing streaks also.....

We could end up in a tie for fourth with Ohio State and Nebraska, although Ohio State has to play at Indiana and at home against MSU. Nebraska has to play NW and Wisconsin at home and at Indiana.....

Going to be interesting and a nail biter.....

Our fate is in our hands, and we have the ability to do it.....

:rolleyes:

We also seem to be running into other players career games. like Sheehey hitting 30 points, Austin Hollins scoring a career high 27 against us, a player named Buggs who had scored 2 points the entire season goes 5 for six against us at Minny, Lewinsky is unstoppable against us, except Woody did alright against him, and Gasser and Koenig go 6 for 9 from the three.....

Why, against us. Sheehey is good and I have always liked his play, but 30 points against us. He was unstoppable.....

I would rather not talk about 50/50 balls or the balls that are simply taken out of our hands. We must hold on to that ball like a mugger is attempting to steal our Mother's purse.....

Hopeless Homer....

Last edited:
Bruce Pearl under achieved and TU. Just because he was able to recruit a chitload of talented buys that "couldn't win the big one" doesn't mean he'll be succeed at Iowa. I was never a fan of his coaching style at TU...very undisciplined. Fran is the man for this job and, even though many of you either haven't noticed or have forgotten, already, he is succeeding at Iowa and getting the job done. One 3 game losing skid and he forgot how to coach?

Am I reading this wrong or do you want Fran to move on soon?

Did you mean if/when Fran were to move on you would want Pearl as the next coach at Iowa?

I love Fran and appreciate everything that he has done for the Iowa program. There are few coaches out there that could have accomplished what he has in such a short period of time but he is a transformational leader. He has accomplished what he is capable of doing. His sideline antics are getting old. His inability to manage depth and in-game management are fairly obvious.

My ideal coach is Bruce pearl. He f'd up in Tennessee by simply not admitting to a secondary infraction. An infraction that is now legal per ncaa recruiting guidelines. I have no idea why he didn't admit that he had Aaron craft over to his house for bbq but that was the infraction.

Pearl is not going to be around in another year. Nor is Steve Forbes. Those two should be our next coaches and would be an excellent fit. The show -cause is up at the end of this hoops season and there will be programs that are going to hire both. Look at what Forbes has done at Wichita state if you need convincing.

Did you mean if/when Fran were to move on you would want Pearl as the next coach at Iowa?

Bruce Pearl under achieved and TU. Just because he was able to recruit a chitload of talented buys that "couldn't win the big one" doesn't mean he'll be succeed at Iowa. I was never a fan of his coaching style at TU...very undisciplined. Fran is the man for this job and, even though many of you either haven't noticed or have forgotten, already, he is succeeding at Iowa and getting the job done. One 3 game losing skid and he forgot how to coach?

Please have a clue before you try and make a point. It's UT not TU.

Pearl was at UT from 05-06 thru the 10-11 season. While there he made it to the Sweet 16 twice, Elite 8 once and made the NCAA tournament EVERY year he was the coach. Can't win the big one's...wtf? He also took Milwaukee...f'ing MILWAUKEE to the NCAA tourney twice and a Sweet 16 berth....MILWAUKEE for Christs sake.

FYI - The UT coach prior to Pearl was Buzz Peterson. Do you know how many times he took UT to the NCAAs? As many times as Todd Lickliter took Iowa.

Pearl recruited and signed nine 4* players and four 5* players to UT in his short time there. Dude can recruit, coach, and has ties to our program....

Hawkeye12345, for some reason this site won't allow me to reply with quote to your post, or I would do so. Okay, fine UT and not TU...he was at Tennessee. I made a lot of money betting against Bruce Pearl and UT (that's UT just to make you happy) because it was a given that his teams would choke. Read my post again, I stated he had the talent. But his teams were undisciplined and choked each season. With the talent he had, he should have easily made it to at least 2 and probably more Final Fours. During his time at UT, they were top 10 ranked during the season 5 of 6 years, but made only 2 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8. And remember, the NCAA violation was illegal phone contact with recruits that he misled (lied to) the NCAA about. It doesn't matter that the specific violation may or may not be a violation, today, it was one at the time. At the surface, yes, Pearl had a good looking NCAA resume. But, they under achieved in the NCAA because his teams were undisciplined. Then, there is the NCAA sanction against him. Look, you would want Pearl coaching at Iowa, I wouldn't. So we disagree. Big effing deal. But trying to be an internet tough guy by telling someone to "have a clue" is high humor.

If guaranteed winning meant guaranteed probation, not sure I'd go there. But I have no problem with hiring a guy that is slick enough not to get caught, if it means winning. Sometimes I think Iowa coaches (football & hoops) aren't "trying" (i.e. pushing the rules to the limit) hard enough.

Don't think we're about to have a coaching vacancy any time soon, though.

Hawkeye12345, for some reason this site won't allow me to reply with quote to your post, or I would do so. Okay, fine UT and not TU...he was at Tennessee. I made a lot of money betting against Bruce Pearl and UT (that's UT just to make you happy) because it was a given that his teams would choke. Read my post again, I stated he had the talent. But his teams were undisciplined and choked each season. With the talent he had, he should have easily made it to at least 2 and probably more Final Fours. During his time at UT, they were top 10 ranked during the season 5 of 6 years, but made only 2 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8. And remember, the NCAA violation was illegal phone contact with recruits that he misled (lied to) the NCAA about. It doesn't matter that the specific violation may or may not be a violation, today, it was one at the time. At the surface, yes, Pearl had a good looking NCAA resume. But, they under achieved in the NCAA because his teams were undisciplined. Then, there is the NCAA sanction against him. Look, you would want Pearl coaching at Iowa, I wouldn't. So we disagree. Big effing deal. But trying to be an internet tough guy by telling someone to "have a clue" is high humor.

My apologies, didn't mean to come off as tough guy.

We also seem to be running into other players career games. like Sheehey hitting 30 points, Austin Hollins scoring a career high 27 against us, a player named Buggs who had scored 2 points the entire season goes 5 for six against us at Minny, Lewinsky is unstoppable against us, except Woody did alright against him, and Gasser and Koenig go 6 for 9 from the three.....

Why, against us. Sheehey is good and I have always liked his play, but 30 points against us. He was unstoppable.....

I would rather not talk about 50/50 balls or the balls that are simply taken out of our hands. We must hold on to that ball like a mugger is attempting to steal our Mother's purse.....

Hopeless Homer....

There is that little thing called defense that is sucking the hind teety lately, or most of the year that continues to allow games like that to happen.

HawkIPA;1274407]Am I reading this wrong or do you want Fran to move on soon?

[QUOTE

I love Fran and appreciate everything that he has done for the Iowa program. There are few coaches out there that could have accomplished what he has in such a short period of time but he is a transformational leader. He has accomplished what he is capable of doing. His sideline antics are getting old. His inability to manage depth and in-game management are fairly obvious.

My ideal coach is Bruce pearl. He f'd up in Tennessee by simply not admitting to a secondary infraction. An infraction that is now legal per ncaa recruiting guidelines. I have no idea why he didn't admit that he had Aaron craft over to his house for bbq but that was the infraction.

Pearl is not going to be around in another year. Nor is Steve Forbes. Those two should be our next coaches and would be an excellent fit. The show -cause is up at the end of this hoops season and there will be programs that are going to hire both. Look at what Forbes has done at Wichita state if you need convincing.

I am not certain that I am interpreting this correctly. Are you saying that it is time for Fran to move on, now that he has brought the Hawks back to national attention, a seemingly hopeless situation when he was hired.....

Thanks, Fran, take a hike.....

Rather harsh and disloyal don't you think.....

I am pleased that you appreciate what Fran has done. You expressed it very well.....

Last edited:
There is that little thing called defense that is sucking the hind teety lately, or most of the year that continues to allow games like that to happen.

Our half court trap used to cause turnovers, now it just takes time off the clock.....

About 9/10 seconds.....

HawkIPA;1274407]Am I reading this wrong or do you want Fran to move on soon?

I am not certain that I am interpreting this correctly. Are you saying that it is time for Fran to move on, now that he has brought the Hawks back to national attention, a seemingly hopeless situation when he was hired.....

Thanks, Fran, take a hike.....

Rather harsh and disloyal don't you think.....

I am pleased that you appreciate what Fran has done. You expressed it very well.....

Well said Jack! I too was confused by this post. Fran has proven he was a great choice to get ths program turned in the right direction and now because a 3 game loosing streak some want to show Fran the door? Wow, some folks have a real short memory around here when it comes to just how bad things were here in the Lickliter era. Gees thats gratatude for ya!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Latest posts