Bruce Harreld Speaks

Keep in mind if the series was cancelled you would be hearing the clowns claim how scared we are in the future to play them because they are just that damn good because in their simplistic minds they believe they are equal to Alabama!

Look, also no periods in my sentence!

Just watched Barta's comments, what a pathetic POS. He spun, parsed words, lied and still took no stand. At a minimum, whether the game is cancelled, or not, he needs to go. It is painfully obvious that he doesn't care about this, just wants it to go away and keep the game.

Last edited:
Barta's still trying to figure out how the U should respond to some players' pee turning brown.

That is the Director of Football Operations responsibility. Um, you know, Barbara Burke. She just hasn't gotten back to him. :rolleyes::D

But it was so weird, predictable but weird, to hear him pull out the "I was traveling" card today. Just like during rhabdo. Is this in some AD training manual for flunkies?

I can't find it now but there was a quote attributed to a female band member in an article either last Monday or Tuesday claiming that ISU reps were screaming at them about how they should exit the field. It is quite possible they got conflicting info from ISU officials and were confused. Does anyone recall reading this? I will keep looking.

Just watched Barta's comments, what a pathetic POS. He spun, parsed words, lied and still took no stand. At a minimum, whether the game is cancelled, or not, he needs to go

Guys he has the support of people above Harreld.

Do you think it is just coincidence that he recently received a $200,000 raise? In spite of setting a personal record for utter incompetence in the past couple of years?

Barta probably consults with Bruce Rastetter and his circle before he does Harreld and this might be another reason Harreld seemed frustrated yesterday. He was mostly frustrated with Pollard and Wintersteen, but gotta believe Barta too. Harreld played a strong hand yesterday. Even he knows the Clowns need this game a lot worse than we do. But he may have overplayed it. If he steps too hard on the feet of Rastetter and Craig Lang (and other power brokers), certain Regents, and lawmakers, he will get smacked down like Sally Mason did. Just look what our governor, the Koch Brother's puppet, said about the game today.

There is substantial anti-UI sentiment in the statehouse and much of rural Iowa. We are the extremist, too-liberal university. Our country has become so polarized and so has our state. Could this have been a small factor on September 14th or was it simply drunken, frustrated fans?

Feel free to do an internet search under Bruce Rastetter, Nancy Upmeyer (two more Koch Brothers' soldiers) and how they wanted to take money from UI in 2016 and give it to ISU and UNI. We aren't Iowa enough. We weren't recruiting enough Iowa kids they threatened. This is just one of many examples. Let me know if you want more.

My point is there are more officials than just those clowns at ISU that are ignoring Iowa's accusations and concerns. Probably even discreetly, or not so discreetly, grinning from ear to ear. They willl not allow the game to be discontinued.

And if Harreld is not careful Barta will outlast him. He danced with the devil to get the U of I presidency.

Last edited:

Do you think it is just coincidence that he recently received a $200,000 raise? In spite of setting a personal record for utter incompetence in the past couple of years?

Barta probably consults with Bruce Rastetter and his circle before he does Harreld and this might be another reason Harreld seemed frustrated yesterday. He was mostly frustrated with Pollard and Wintersteen, but gotta believe Barta too. Harreld played a strong hand yesterday. Even he knows the Clowns need this game a lot worse than we do. But he may have overplayed it. If he steps too hard on the feet of Rastetter and Craig Lang (and other power brokers), certain Regents, and lawmakers, he will get smacked down like Sally Mason did. Just look what our governor, the Koch Brother's puppet, said about the game today.

There is substantial anti-UI sentiment in the statehouse and much of rural Iowa. We are the extremist, too-liberal university. Our country has become so polarized and so has our state. Could this have been a small factor on September 14th or was it simply drunken, frustrated fans?

Feel free to do an internet search under Bruce Rastetter, Nancy Upmeyer (two more Koch Brothers' soldiers) and how they wanted to take money from UI in 2016 and give it to ISU and UNI. We aren't Iowa enough. We weren't recruiting enough Iowa kids they threatened. This is just one of many examples. Let me know if you want more.

My point is there are more officials than just those clowns at ISU that are ignoring Iowa's accusations and concerns. Probably even discreetly, or not so discreetly, grinning from ear to ear. They willl not allow the game to be discontinued.

And if Harreld is not careful Barta will outlast him. He danced with the devil to get the U of I presidency.

Even more reason to support Harreld’s position. He’s not going to sell his soul for his future - Al Pacino, Scent Of A Woman.

Good Lord, that hat is 100% tinfoil, isn't it?

Thanks for text. Am not in Iowa so all new to me.Hey Always say; Power 'Trumps' all. Power is something us Humans cannot Control huh? Go Hawk Players. Mighty Tough#

I haven’t heard of any Hawk fans getting physically abused other than Hawk band members getting funneled by Cyclone students.

There are several ways to mitigate that before the rivalry series is cancelled.

History of fans going overboard and fighting didn’t start a couple of Saturdays ago.

I realize Hawk fans that are afraid to play the Cyclones would rather play Alabama and get props for getting beat — but that’s not going to happen.

That's a funny one..How about Hawk fans wanting Iowa to play a team that you get PROPS FOR BEATING? Iowa's annual win over Iowa State means nothing to anyone except some locals. Never has, never will. The game and all that surrounds it has gotten so ugly that it should end. With every Iowa win, it will get uglier.

Maybe some up high wanted the game cancelled...

Several years ago there was a publicized ranking of liberalism at universities. ISU scored higher.

At the statehouse it wouldn't surprise me that ISU being a land grant gets a lot of funding from DC.

It s not a rural/metro thing. It's geographic and alumni. There just isn't a lot of sports support in rural East Iowa. From Donnelson, Ames seems a long ways away.

Yes ISU does have an Extension program in each county but it ends at 4H and Master Gardeners.

Everyone knows this game is a lose/lose for Iowa. Iowa is forced to play a program that finishes in the bottom of the Big 12 most years while ISU has the benefit of playing an annual top division Big 10 team every single year without having to negotiate for it. It is one of the sweetest set-ups in the country for a P5 program. If this series were cancelled ISU would be lucky to fill the opening with a MAC team while Iowa could realistically schedule another P5 opponent albeit likely on a neutral site probably against a regional opponent like Kansas State or Arkansas. Perhaps even go to the Pitt well again or try to re-kindle the ties with Mizzou. Iowa has options, ISU has little to none without this game.

All this being said, it is not shocking that Harreld said what he did. Maybe he really cares about the safety of the band and fans, or maybe he is using this as a tool to end the series. His school has all the leverage and the money to end the series and he has put ISU in defense mode. Frankly both schools have the $1 million it will take to end the series but ISU wouldn't dare do what Harreld did because they NEED this rivalry. Both as a revenue generator and as something to drive the program on a yearly basis. They haven't a prayer of winning a Big 12 title but they sure as shootin can look forward to the Iowa game. If this truly is about ending this series and this is what Harreld wants then the series will end because there will be no pleasing him. If this truly is about fan safety then this is a relatively easy fix and the series will continue.

Does the marching band exist just for the 7 home games in football and the homecoming parade? Asking because that is the only time I see them and am ignorant as to what else they do? Assume the major would be for those wanting to be in music education after graduation?? If that is its main purpose then why is it under athletics? Doesn't make sense to me it is in the athletic dept.

Does the marching band exist just for the 7 home games in football and the homecoming parade? Asking because that is the only time I see them and am ignorant as to what else they do? Assume the major would be for those wanting to be in music education after graduation?? If that is its main purpose then why is it under athletics? Doesn't make sense to me it is in the athletic dept.
Yeah, a music major certainly doesn’t require marching band participation. Most Music Ed programs require a marching band methods course as well. There are also music performance majors, and others depending on the institution. Some of those folks like marching band, others don’t. I personally fucking hated the time I spent in marching band, but I liked the music scholarship.

Yeah, a music major certainly doesn’t require marching band participation. Most Music Ed programs require a marching band methods course as well. There are also music performance majors, and others depending on the institution. Some of those folks like marching band, others don’t. I personally fucking hated the time I spent in marching band, but I liked the music scholarship.

I enjoy the band's performances at the games as well as visiting bands. If not a late game and not bad weather we typically wait and watch the march out after game is over when at Kinnick. I never would have guessed prior to this they were under the direction of the athletic dept.

..........and this series was designed to unite Iowa people. Seems to be having the opposite effect.

I enjoy the band's performances at the games as well as visiting bands. If not a late game and not bad weather we typically wait and watch the march out after game is over when at Kinnick. I never would have guessed prior to this they were under the direction of the athletic dept.
Not certain about the UofI. I know for certain that at least one of the larger universities in the state that all the marching band/basketball pep band is run through athletics.

Last edited:
I still enjoy the band marching into the stadium. The drumline, the tradition of the whole thing. You know the game is at hand. To paraphrase - It sounds like, victory.

Bring back the Highlanders and their dancers. They had swords. Let's see drunken fans tangle with that.
If that fails, they could just start playing. That'd make them run for the hills.

FTR:
<-----former Highlander who can take a "bagpipes suck" joke.

Latest posts