Brommer Rumor

Would it shock anyone? Look at the frontcourt for next year...Cole,Cougs,Fuller,Archie,Larson and McCabe...all vying for time at 2 spots? Brommer has to see the handwriting on the wall...if he wants to play. He could transfer to a Horizon league team,sit a year,and have two productive playing years...

Is there a guarantee that Archie, Larson, and McCabe will be effective within this system?

McCabe and Brust were Butler's main two recruits for their 2010 class. So systemwise, we can assume that they are a fit. Watch a video of Cody Larson playing a whole game. Tell me against one of the top AAU teams last year, where he just dominates that he will not be successful. Right away, not sure if I will say both will be, but I think that they are really close.

Here's the link. Watch the game against D-One vs. Dakota Schoolers

2009 Reebok All-American Camp

McCabe and Brust were Butler's main two recruits for their 2010 class. So systemwise, we can assume that they are a fit. Watch a video of Cody Larson playing a whole game. Tell me against one of the top AAU teams last year, where he just dominates that he will not be successful. Right away, not sure if I will say both will be, but I think that they are really close.

Here's the link. Watch the game against D-One vs. Dakota Schoolers

Thanks for the link - cant watch it at work but i will check it out. Other than Brust, Larson is the recruit im most excited about. I think McCabe will be a player but may need a year or so to be ready to be a big contributor

Thanks for the link - cant watch it at work but i will check it out. Other than Brust, Larson is the recruit im most excited about. I think McCabe will be a player but may need a year or so to be ready to be a big contributor

Seriously though, you will watch that game, and there is no way you can't help but to get excited with what he brings. I'll even post a few times in the video he does some nice things in a few for you.

Sorry, whether or not Brommers good or not, this is getting embarrassing.

To me, its not about the quality of the player right now, its the principal of the whole thing. We've been losing players after every Lickliter season.

If Barta lets Lickliter go, I wont be upset. I'm not calling for his head, but if Barta did it, I would have a hard time making an argument for Lickliter.

BINGO

I don't think its good to have anyone leave at this point. If you recruit them coach em up not out... We will never have any success if you lose a couple of players each year unless its to the NBA..

People need to relax about this rumor. If Brommer leaves it is not nearly the same as what has happened the last few years. Role players leave teams all the time. Lack of playing is one of the few legitimate reasons why a player would transfer that is not on the coach. Brommer has to see that for the most part Cougill, Fuller and Cole are getting the post minutes. All three guys return. Plus now you add Larson and Archie.

If Brommer transfers I wish him nothing but the best. He tried hard and stayed out of trouble and you can't ask anymore of a student athlete. But in terms of Iowa Basketball it might be for the best. We have two players that probably fill the same role, Brommer and Archie and they are both in the same class. Brommer was brought in for defensive minutes against quicker teams and in case of foul problems. I think Archie can fill that role next year. This opens up either another scholarship for this year or 2011. More pressing needs are a PG, athletic slasher and a legit center. Lick needs to be able to fill these more effectively than he has done in the past.

Just a couple of times in the game to check out...

D-One vs. Dakota Schoolers

3:30, 4:05, 13:10, 15:30, 29:40, 31:05, 38:20, 38:55, 39:25, 43:05, 49:40, 50:05, 65:25, 71:15

Let me know what you think. I think you'll agree with me.

Last edited:
Sorry, whether or not Brommers good or not, this is getting embarrassing.

To me, its not about the quality of the player right now, its the principal of the whole thing. We've been losing players after every Lickliter season.

If Barta lets Lickliter go, I wont be upset. I'm not calling for his head, but if Barta did it, I would have a hard time making an argument for Lickliter.

+1

Every team has players on scholarship who don't get to play, that doesn't mean that they transfer.

If Brommer transfers it would not be surprising. He hasn't developed his game or physique really at all, and I don't blame that on the coaching staff. Fuller came in at the same time and he needed to get stronger and work on his defense; Fuller has done those two things and is playing very well. You could even say that Cougill has developed a little more and he has been there for only a year now.

He sounds like he is a good teammate and a good student who stays out of trouble, so I don't have a problem with him staying either. I just don't see him helping the team in games in the future.

Iowa could sure use those two open schollies to fill some holes. An athletic point guard that can team with Payne and then a physical presence down low to help replace Cole in a couple of yrs.

To be fair,I do think that Brommer has added quite a bit of bulk and muscle in his two years...but again, as was said, we are deep in that position,and he is not exactly a proto-type big man in the lick system as he cannot shoot from deep.
So yes, if he left, it would be just a routine departure for lack of playing time that happens at all schools.
More importantly,it would free up another scholly for 2011...right now we have only one if we use Tuckers to get a much needed pg for next year...freeing up brommers scholly would give us two for the 2011 class...and help balance out our classes. Now, go get Randle and a quality young big with those two and lick would finally be cooking with gas on the recruitng front.

Brommer looks to be improving. I thought he's done pretty well in limited minutes lately. And he must be doing some things right to be earning some playing time. Sometimes it takes big men a little longer to develop. As long as Brommer wants to be a Hawkeye, I'll support him, hope he works hard and gets better and makes an impact on the team, whether in games or in practice.

If Brommer transfers it would not be surprising. He hasn't developed his game or physique really at all, and I don't blame that on the coaching staff. Fuller came in at the same time and he needed to get stronger and work on his defense; Fuller has done those two things and is playing very well. You could even say that Cougill has developed a little more and he has been there for only a year now.

Actually it fully is the blame of the coaching staff that he has not developed correctly, that is totally all on the coaching staff...

He sounds like he is a good teammate and a good student who stays out of trouble, so I don't have a problem with him staying either. I just don't see him helping the team in games in the future.

Iowa could sure use those two open schollies to fill some holes. An athletic point guard that can team with Payne and then a physical presence down low to help replace Cole in a couple of yrs.

Actually, Brommer's physique has developed well. He's put on some good muscle. He had a lot to work on coming in from Rosemount, but he's progressed pretty well over the year. Hasn't gotten a lot of PT, but he's showed a lot of energy out there. Last game, he was responsible for increasing Iowa's lead from 6 to 11 in three possessions. He has potential, it just takes some bigs longer to develop. Look at Reiner for instance.

I'd like Andrew to stick around, I think he is an asset to Iowa. However, if he does leave, it's not a detriment to the team like it would be to lose Fuller, May, Payne, etc...

Actually, Brommer's physique has developed well. He's put on some good muscle. He had a lot to work on coming in from Rosemount, but he's progressed pretty well over the year. Hasn't gotten a lot of PT, but he's showed a lot of energy out there. Last game, he was responsible for increasing Iowa's lead from 6 to 11 in three possessions. He has potential, it just takes some bigs longer to develop. Look at Reiner for instance.

I'd like Andrew to stick around, I think he is an asset to Iowa. However, if he does leave, it's not a detriment to the team like it would be to lose Fuller, May, Payne, etc...

Agree 100% spank.

I think Brommer has nice size, thickness, and really solid feet. I think his playing time has been so sporadic it's been really hard for him to develope. I thought he was really bad as a freshmen, but I can see some glimpses this year why the staff offered him a scholly. I don't know if he has been used properly or not, I would almost like to see him get more minutes to see how much he could develope. His playing time has been very strange.

Latest posts