Bring your hard hats: Official Iowa @ Indiana Game Thread

I had a meeting and was only able to watch the first 8 minutes and last 11 minutes of the game...was pretty shocked at the lack of energy Indiana players were bringing defensively from the 11 min mark until the end. I mean, they were down 19 with 8 min to go and had pretty much packed it in. Hell, Iowa scored 23 pts in 100 seconds vs Sparty -- strange things can happen! And when he sat his starters with what, 4-5 min remaining? Wow...and they don't play again until Sunday.

I had a meeting and was only able to watch the first 8 minutes and last 11 minutes of the game...was pretty shocked at the lack of energy Indiana players were bringing defensively from the 11 min mark until the end. I mean, they were down 19 with 8 min to go and had pretty much packed it in. Hell, Iowa scored 23 pts in 100 seconds vs Sparty -- strange things can happen! And when he sat his starters with what, 4-5 min remaining? Wow...and they don't play again until Sunday.
They shot their load back in West Lafayette.

I almost dont care if we go one and done in the BTT, if it gives us stronger legs for the NCAA'S.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind. I still believe we got hosed on both our seed and draw last year.

Four games in four days and we got a five seed, and an early Thursday draw. Sucked.
You make a good point.

Double bye...yes or no? Anybody have any thoughts?
One huge thing that helps us is our record against the other 7 teams with 11 or 10 wins. We are 1-1 vs. MSU and 1-1 vs. NW. We are 7-0 against the other 5 teams which means we will win all, or nearly all tiebreakers. What kills us is the 2-5 record against the bottom 5 teams. 5-2 puts us at 14-5 and in sole possession of 1st place.

For the life of me ... why do these guys so often drive within a layup and then turn their back to the basket to kick out?? Ulis had a WIDE open left-hand layup and PS did it earlier!
IKR. They just aren't fully aware of how open they are I don't think. Or else yeah just lay it in. It happens a fast as they are all moving they think someone is going to block them from behind.

More likely looking for falling objects.
I was joking with my buddy last night with like 10 mins to go we need to hurry up and just get out of there before the roof falls in. What a perfect game that was. I mean start to finish domination. How close did Indiana ever get it back to? They had a couple runs but each time we went on a bigger one to extend it out. Someone forgot to tell Fran that was a road game because they all played lights out. Wish we'd have made our FTs and not missed the front ends of 1 & 1s but that almost feels like nitpicking on a night like that.

Murray Perkins and Rebraca keep playing like that and I pitty the other teams we play against. They just keep the pressure on and I love it. Throw in a hot shooting Sandfort off the bench and forget it.

Im just baffled. How do the Hawks get swept by the worst Badger team in years, and sweep one of the better IU teams in years????
Basketball at that level is just weird like that. Matchups/style of play has something to do with it. When you play who matters. Sometimes it just comes down to shooting. A lot of the time that's how it is with us and it's not too overly complicated. We hit shots and turn it into a track meet and good luck against us. When we don't literally anyone can beat us too (eastern IL)

One huge thing that helps us is our record against the other 7 teams with 11 or 10 wins. We are 1-1 vs. MSU and 1-1 vs. NW. We are 7-0 against the other 5 teams which means we will win all, or nearly all tiebreakers. What kills us is the 2-5 record against the bottom 5 teams. 5-2 puts us at 14-5 and in sole possession of 1st place.
With Purdue struggling down the stretch, it really made a conference championship possible if we could have played better against the bottom teams. I know most other teams could say this too, but it's pretty easy to find 3 more wins. All in all tho, this team really put together a good year so hard to complain much.

On top of all that was said above, this team is just a fun team to watch when they are all on. Multiple scorers and many who are contributing. They just tore down Indiana's defense last night and the Hoosiers had no answers. If you haven't watch Woodward's post game presser, you need to. It's only about 2:10 seconds long.

It ain't about the BTT this season. I'd rather take a quick exit and be locked and loaded for the main event.

Double bye...yes or no? Anybody have any thoughts?
If we beat nebraska, our odds of not getting a double bye are really slim. Northwestern is the only team we don't own the head to head tiebreaker with. But if we tie them, we can still win the tiebreaker if other teams tie as well. The more teams we tie with, the better our chances are to win the tiebreaker over Northwestern.

Michigan, Maryland, and Northwestern all need one more loss. For us to get the 2 seed. But if either Maryland or Michigan lose once more, we get the double bye for sure. Michigan has a really tough schedule left and Marylad has 2 road games left against PSU and OSU. Not the best teams but both are very loseable. The worst we can do now with a win is the 5 seed which would be really unlucky and a really bad draw. The worst we can do with a loss is a 7 seed which would end up being a pretty good draw. We are in a really good position right now.

Latest posts