Brian Ferentz's playcalling ability

guffus

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_f2716910-1f1b-5ef1-bd3a-0a1516d328e8.html

I am sorry, this article does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling that Iowa"s offense is going to be a smoorh running machine on day one.

Instead I get the feeling that Iowa's offense may struggle while Brian Ferentz learns and becomes comfortable with his new job. I thought BF had decided long ago to call plays from the sidelines, but now he seems to be re-thinking that decision and is considering calling plays from the pressbox

Hopefully he will get up to speed in a hurry. KOK may need to hold his hand, but that might be difficult if BF is up in the pressbox and KOK is down on the field, or vice versa.

But either way, BF will need to learn to do it himself, which we all knew when he was given the job. Its just going to take time, that's all.

Last edited:
http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_f2716910-1f1b-5ef1-bd3a-0a1516d328e8.html

I am sorry, this article does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling that Iowa"s offense is going to be a smoorh running machine on day one.

Instead I get the feeling that Iowa's offense may struggle while Brian Ferentz learns and becomes comfortable with his new job. I thought BF had decided long ago to call plays from the sidelines, but now he seems to be re-thinking that decision and is considering calling plays from the pressbox

Hopefully he will get up to speed in a hurry. KOK may need to hold his hand, but that might be difficult if BF is up in the pressbox and KOK is down on the field, or vice versa.

But either way, BF will need to learn to do it himself, which we all knew when he was given the job. Its just going to take time, that's all.
Maybe rough transition, I've been thinking this for a while and those quotes don't sound very confident

As long as we don't run a 5 yard square out on 3 and 7 we will be ahead of where we were last year. BF and KOK will figure it out, whether from the booth or sideline. I wonder if they will "script" the first 10 plays or so just to reduce the chance of play calling delays, chaos, etc.. in the first few games at least.

As several people have already pointed out it will be a joint effort at least for awhile anyway. You have 2 former OC(s) on the staff. My guess is that he will end up in the booth. If you don't like being on the sidelines when the "elements" come later in the year......You might as well adjust calling games from the booth from the start.

As long as we don't run a 5 yard square out on 3 and 7 we will be ahead of where we were last year. BF and KOK will figure it out, whether from the booth or sideline. I wonder if they will "script" the first 10 plays or so just to reduce the chance of play calling delays, chaos, etc.. in the first few games at least.

Honestly, I'm ok with a 5 yard square out if it's Wadley or Butler. I think you are going to see alot of the short passing game trying to spring these guys. You also have tight end in Fant that has clear advantages on third down against a linebacker. Watch the route he ran against Nebraska on that 4th down in the fourth quarter...he had 3 yards of separation on a simple square in drag across the middle...he set the guy up to the outside beautifully.

My guess is that Brian is thinking about who has a more calming affect on his QBs. Brian comes off a bit intense to me...so if Stanley or Weigers is struggling, is it better for KOK to talk to them on the sidelines or Brian. I agree with Arvada...it doesn't matter where he is frankly...as long as he's got a good game plan and his offense executes.

I think the combination of BF, KOK, and Polesak is going to be special...I just do. I honestly think the guy people are underestimating is Polesak. He fits the mold and I think he's going to have the OL playing very well...let's see how the pass pro does against Wyoming.

My guess is that Brian is thinking about who has a more calming affect on his QBs. Brian comes off a bit intense to me...so if Stanley or Weigers is struggling, is it better for KOK to talk to them on the sidelines or Brian. I agree with Arvada...it doesn't matter where he is frankly...as long as he's got a good game plan and his offense executes.

I think the combination of BF, KOK, and Polesak is going to be special...I just do. I honestly think the guy people are underestimating is Polesak. He fits the mold and I think he's going to have the OL playing very well...let's see how the pass pro does against Wyoming.

I think you make a good point, though, WOTC. I think KOK will have an obvious benefit of being able to ask qb's "what did you see from the safety on this play", or, "what was your thought process for changing the play". brian doesn't have that kind of experience. I just don't want 60% run.

Not worried about it.. Brian played football for crying out loud. I think (I could be wrong) he is just giving the fans something to talk about and writers something to write about. I think KOK will be his eyes in the sky while he's on the field with the boys. The speed of the game may take some adjusting to him when it comes to there's only a few seconds that you have to decide on what your calling and then start relaying that to the QB. That to me is where KOK and Coach P will come in so handy. They have been there done that and know you have to think a play or two ahead when it comes to situational football. Do I think they'll be smooth and won't have to call a TO due to playclock or communication issues? I'm sure they will. But the results of those plays are what I'm more interested in

We're gonna come out conservative and try to establish superiority in the trenches. After a few successful runs, BFz will dial up a safe pass to the tight end or something to give Stanley some confidence. It's going to be a process.

I don't think brian will want to be in the same place as KOK; wherever, he winds up during the game. I'm also not really sure why this is a story. I don't care where he is during the game. I care he has the right game plan and calls the right plays.
It's only a story because we're desperate for information. If it was about what color socks he plans on wearing, we'd read that, too. Wrestling where he wants to be does not concern me. Of course there will be bumps in the road, I think that's a reason KOK is back, to assist in smoothing those bumps out, until BF gets it figured out. I'll take some of the bumps caused by a brand new OC versus the potholes we had to endure for the last 5 years.

His comment on wanting to avoid the elements seems somewhat backwards to me. I would think it's fine to be in the booth in good weather but in cold/windy conditions being on the sidelines probably gives the best feel for calling appropriate plays. That's just me. I am imagining a bonechilling november night with the wind gusting and Kinnick is in a frenzy-- meanwhile, inside the booth brian takes a sip of hot-chocolate and calls finesse pass play incompletion after another.

Not worried either. I think Brian is just being honest and there are positive to both options. He's deciding what will work best for him.

My concerns around Brian's inexperience were greatly reduced when they added both KOK and Polasek. Add in his time working under Belicheck, his experience as a player and the bar has been set at a low level in terms of offensive production, I feel pretty confident in Brian Ferentz overall and I think he's a good recruiter.

I'm excited... no where to go but up!!

[QUOTE="WinOneThisCentury, post: 1618846, member: 59123"
I think the combination of BF, KOK, and Polesak is going to be special...I just do. .[/QUOTE]

I agree. The key is will KFz execute CEO 101 and let his best people do their job.

Do you realize Brian is on a working job interview this season and each season after? With success he will become the head coach at Iowa in approximately 5-7 years. With success he would probably start out at a minimum of 2.5 million as a salary. He seems to be very loyal to Iowa and knows a family can be raised in relative safety here. If successful he will have a job for life. I'm not sure what more motivation he needs to WANT to be successful. He will have watched and learned from at least 4 offensive coordinators in college and pro ball. He will be fine.

I don't get it? We fired a guy who called plays in a National Championship Game, and replaced him with a guy who couldn't make it on the Atlanta Falcons?

The smoothness of the offense's transition has little to nothing to do if he makes calls from the box or sideline.

I would hope he's been "practicing" his play calling execution and it sounds like Moore gave him some good advice on watching tape.

Latest posts