Brian Ferentz's playcalling ability

True. One coached us to the Orange Bowl and the other to the Rose Bowl. Not bad. I get tired of the negativity all the time.
Ok so KOK averaged 216 passing yards a game and 1.56 passing TDs per game in his 13 years at Iowa. That's 20 yards and .32 TDs more than Derp Davis. I would argue that KOK had far better receivers and QBs than Davis did. So you see I don't care if the coordinator is throwing to the flat all day or running a play action bootleg every play, the output has been the the same.

"Slightly" different passing games?

Anyone who thinks KOK's and Davis' offenses were basically the same doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah. This.

One attacks length; the other attacks width.
That's 110 yards vs 53.

Or more practically, you have more field to attack vertically until you reach the opponent's 23 yard line (plus end zone) than what you do attacking horizontally from the hash to the far sideline (approx 33 yards) plus the extra defender called sideline.

Do you still doubt it after the 8 completions for 125? This was KOK offensive playcalling all day. More fun to watch than Davis but overall the same result.
Along with some unnecessary weird double play-action and running Smith-Marsette on a sweep with 9 in the box. And, of course, forgetting about time outs at the end of the half. That's always a fun one.

Along with some unnecessary weird double play-action and running Smith-Marsette on a sweep with 9 in the box. And, of course, forgetting about time outs at the end of the half. That's always a fun one.
Are the time outs on BF, I doubt it.
All in all, decently called passing game. Some of the odd plays were, well, odd.

I'm hoping stanley looks sharper next week. He threw some good balls but had his fair share of "deer in the headlights" moments. burn the end around, regardless of who's running it. Ran it 3 times, pretty much all fails. Stanley has to hang on to the ball as well.

I'm hoping stanley looks sharper next week. He threw some good balls but had his fair share of "deer in the headlights" moments. burn the end around, regardless of who's running it. Ran it 3 times, pretty much all fails. Stanley has to hang on to the ball as well.
1st start with virtually no experience facing a gigantic barrage of blitzing. Yeah, let's pile on him. Smh.

Are the time outs on BF, I doubt it.
All in all, decently called passing game. Some of the odd plays were, well, odd.
Unless you are Navy nothing about 8 completions is decent play calling in the passing game. Not to mention 3 turnovers. Missouri's qb had 7 TDs and 521 yards with a running back with 200 yards rushing. That OC had a decent day. If Iowa played Missouri St. Wadley would have 200 yards and we would still get our 175 yards passing.

Missouri gets two wins today because of yardage.

Of course, Wyoming has a wide-open offense with 40+ pass attempts but they are not used as the illustration because....they lost badly to a predictable defense.

Iowa 8.3 yds per PA
Allen 4.3 yds per PA

Unless you are Navy nothing about 8 completions is decent play calling in the passing game. Not to mention 3 turnovers. Missouri's qb had 7 TDs and 521 yards with a running back with 200 yards rushing. That OC had a decent day. If Iowa played Missouri St. Wadley would have 200 yards and we would still get our 175 yards passing.
You are talking production, I was actually talking the plays themselves regardless.of the execution. The two touchdown passes to Fant were great calls and well executed.

Last edited:
Turnovers will be an obvious talking point next week for the coaches but I was fairly pleased with today.

3 passing TDs and I'm not worried about the running game. It will only get better and hopefully the OL can get healthy. Daniels is a difference maker.

Got a little too cute at times, but overall I thought he called a good game. OL was flat out missing guys early on, and pass pro needs work, plus Stanley's aforementioned 1st game jitters, but Easley looked very solid and we actually saw some verticality from the tight ends.

I think if Fant hangs onto that pass early, this game is completely different. No matter, winning ugly in dominating fashion is still nice.

I think if Fant hangs onto that pass early, this game is completely different. No matter, winning ugly in dominating fashion is still nice.
I thought so too... Fant is a nice weapon that won't be a secret much longer.. Just hope we quit using him as a RB... That was probably the worst call BF had today...

You are completely correct, of course. It's very frustrating.

1st game of the season. Everything was basic. Nothing fancy. Need to get Stanley to take care of the little things. Having a QB coach is a big help. Stanley has some talent, but he needs to get comfortable quick. I don't think he will get some of those looks at Iowa State.

I don't think Iowa is going to scare anyone with their long ball yet. But the opponents can load up the box at their own peril. The offense and defensive lines are going to give some people some fits.

Latest posts