Brian Ferentz's playcalling ability

BF has all kinds of support on this staff and he is a smart guy who knows how to listen. Above all, with his total career in perspective, he did not just fall off the turnip truck. He will do just fine. Lest we forget, the O coordinator is the most visible coach on the staff, at least in the moment. Patience, grasshopper.

I don't look for Brian to struggle. Iowa has to be the easiest offensive coordinator job there is. As long as Kirk is coach we will be a a running/ball control offense. We aren't ever going to be slinging it all over the field. I would bet that he will call games just like Davis and KOK before him.

To play complimentary FB, the way KF (successfully I might add) runs his team, it's ball control, field position, pound the rock and solid D that won't give up quick scores. It's actually a solid plan given the recruiting base Iowa has. My hope is that we do that with a little more WI and MSU (pre-scandal) style passing schemes and a more diverse run game. That's not asking for much change but those small changes could make an enormous difference. Oh, and BF absolutely should be up top. It's far easier to see what's going on and make more calculated vs emotional decisions.

I don't look for Brian to struggle. Iowa has to be the easiest offensive coordinator job there is. As long as Kirk is coach we will be a a running/ball control offense. We aren't ever going to be slinging it all over the field. I would bet that he will call games just like Davis and KOK before him.
Davis and KOK did not call games the same.

Davis and KOK did not call games the same.
They both were run first ball control coordinators. A good game for an Iowa qb is 200 yards and two TDs. Brian will be the same. Hopefully better than the two previous clowns. And yes KOK was garbage. Hopefully he doesn't teach Brian how to call timeouts and follow them up with a delay of game.

KOK's offenses won two big ten titles and an Orange Bowl...just saying. I would agree with the poster that says we can emulate WI and MSU in the passing game a bit more with shots down the field in unexpected times. MSU has had some special WR over the past few years...I'm not sure I see any of those on our roster...although I'm hopeful someone emerges.

The thing I have an issue with, is people thinking our running game is not diverse. With the changes made a few years ago, our running game is really difficult to prepare for. We won the Joe Moore Award because of the diversity of our running game. People can argue whether we deserved it, but you can't argue that we were one of the best run blocking teams in the country last year...two 1000 yard rushers when defenses are geared up to stop it, and an anemic passing attack tells you how special that running game was.

Last edited:
They both were run first ball control coordinators. A good game for an Iowa qb is 200 yards and two TDs. Brian will be the same. Hopefully better than the two previous clowns. And yes KOK was garbage. Hopefully he doesn't teach Brian how to call timeouts and follow them up with a delay of game.

Do you think this philosophy will attract more and better skill position players on the edge?

Anyone that thinks GD and KOK were the same in play calling is just plain wrong.

As long as BF understands that the passing game, even if unsuccessful, can be used to open the running game, he will be fine.

Iowa's offensive scheme is a balanced/ball-control offense that's rushing game sets up the passing game. In that sense, Iowa is run first.

This also helps the defense be as effective as it is -- especially at scoring points allowed. Thank the Iowa offense for ball control, few turnovers, and field position so the opponent has to drive the field.

Personally, it's satisfying on the level of Snickers to watch a rushing attack pound the opponent in the fourth quarter.

To play complimentary FB, the way KF (successfully I might add) runs his team, it's ball control, field position, pound the rock and solid D that won't give up quick scores. It's actually a solid plan given the recruiting base Iowa has. My hope is that we do that with a little more WI and MSU (pre-scandal) style passing schemes and a more diverse run game. That's not asking for much change but those small changes could make an enormous difference. Oh, and BF absolutely should be up top. It's far easier to see what's going on and make more calculated vs emotional decisions.

A positive for me is Brian has already somewhat implemented this. Just since he became run game coordinator, we've seen a few tweaks and added plays in the run game, such as the G-scheme and some zone seal concepts from the gun. If he can accomplish everything else you noted, we could have an exciting offense.

Personally, it's satisfying on the level of Snickers to watch a rushing attack pound the opponent in the fourth quarter.

Nothing quite like literally seeing a team wither in front of your eyes. Stanford did it to Rice just yesterday from the outset. Pure domination.

Anyone that thinks GD and KOK were the same in play calling is just plain wrong.

As long as BF understands that the passing game, even if unsuccessful, can be used to open the running game, he will be fine.
Same offense, same gameplan, slightly different passing games with very similar output. Anyone that thinks Brian will do anything other than run the same pro style offense we have always had is just plain wrong.

I doubt it.

Same offense, same gameplan, slightly different passing games with very similar output. Anyone that thinks Brian will do anything other than run the same pro style offense we have always had is just plain wrong.
"Slightly" different passing games?

Anyone who thinks KOK's and Davis' offenses were basically the same doesn't know what he's talking about.

"Slightly" different passing games?

Anyone who thinks KOK's and Davis' offenses were basically the same doesn't know what he's talking about.
True. One coached us to the Orange Bowl and the other to the Rose Bowl. Not bad. I get tired of the negativity all the time.

True. One coached us to the Orange Bowl and the other to the Rose Bowl. Not bad. I get tired of the negativity all the time.
How am I being negative? Passing offense under KOK was different than under Davis.

Please point out the negative thing I said about either one of them in this thread.

Latest posts