Brett Bielema

BergHawk7

I have made a thread on this topic before, and im bringing it up again. In Jon's podcast today, they asked if KF has stayed too long. I believe if Greg davis isnt gone by the end of the year, and we dont see any improvement over the next 3 years, KF wont be fired, but will retire on his own/told to retire. However, will Barta have the guts to do it?

There are only two coaches who can come in and make this program successful, install exciting football, be aggressive with the play calling, and also have success with recruiting. Bob Stoops, and Bielema. Many of you will say "no way stoops leaves Oklahoma", which I totally understand, however, he has been there for what? 16 years? Some fans down there are growing tired of him, maybe he'd give the iowa job a thought.

But the first call goes to Bielema, like Jon said. I really do think he could replicate his success with Wisconsin, at Iowa. A tough recruiter, not afraid to take chances, and not afraid to run up the score on bad opponents. He has to be our next coach, but if we have to wait till 2020 for it to happen, then Iowa is doomed to stay in the hole it digs itself in.

Can't stand Beilema. NO THANKS!

Is the reason why you, and probably others cant stand him, is because what he did to iowa when he was at Wisconsin? His sneaky recruiting habits? Running up the score? Dont you want that at Iowa? He won 3 conference titles. Im not assuming he'd do the same thing with iowa, but at least it'd be better than what we're seeing now.

I'm with you on both of those choices although I think Bielema is more realistic and maybe the better pick because he's younger. I'm certain Bielema would win at Iowa. If both of those choices are out I'm going Craig Bohl ex-NDSU, and now at Wyoming but he might be a shorter term solution due to age. btw, I'm picking Oklahom to win everything this year.

Is the reason why you, and probably others cant stand him, is because what he did to iowa when he was at Wisconsin? His sneaky recruiting habits? Running up the score? Dont you want that at Iowa? He won 3 conference titles. Im not assuming he'd do the same thing with iowa, but at least it'd be better than what we're seeing now.

(1) Anything that can be done at Wisconsin can be done at Iowa. Period. Wisconsin was an absolute doormat before Alvarez got there.

(2) Those are not the only two coaches that could be successful at Iowa.

(3) I'll throw out Bob Diaco as a potential candidate. He should be ripened right about when we need him. Yes, he's a defensive guy, but he was a defensive guy in Kelly's scheme for a number of years, so he knows how to make an aggressive offensive and stout defense coexist.

Bielema would crawl to Iowa City for this job. That isnt speculation, thats fact from a few of his former teammates I know in Madison and the Milwaukee area.

Quite some time ago, I said Mark Stoops may be a good replacement. I would like to see how his first job as head man goes at Kentucky first. He has ties to the state of Florida as well as Ohio. Bob Stoops would be great as well. I also think Brett Bielema would be a terrific hire. He knows the BIG TEN and has done very well coaching in it. With the facilities Iowa now has, there is no reason they couldn't hire a very good coach to take over.

I would take either one. I think Beielema would be the only one willing to come back to Iowa. Stoops had his chance and chose Oklahoma.

Bielema would take the Iowa job and I would be happy to have him. He knew how to recruit in the BIG.

I would take Brett Bielema all day, every day. He may not be as nice of a guy as KF, but at this point, I don't care. Just win baby.

(1) Anything that can be done at Wisconsin can be done at Iowa. Period. Wisconsin was an absolute doormat before Alvarez got there.

(2) Those are not the only two coaches that could be successful at Iowa.

(3) I'll throw out Bob Diaco as a potential candidate. He should be ripened right about when we need him. Yes, he's a defensive guy, but he was a defensive guy in Kelly's scheme for a number of years, so he knows how to make an aggressive offensive and stout defense coexist.

Let's not act like Michigan fans and confine our fantasies to coaches with Iowa ties. First of all, guys like Stoops don't generally have second acts this late in the game. They also don't tend to leave elite programs for other elite programs, let alone Iowa, where they'd have to work extremely hard after having already put that time in years ago when they were younger, hungrier, and less established. Bielema is turning things around on an SEC team. Call me surprised if he'd be interested or even a good fit.

Given Iowa's recent history, the next coach at Iowa is far more likely to be somebody that few have heard of before. He'll probably be relatively young and crazy / hungry enough to do what it takes to recruit here, which is basically what Ferentz was when he first arrived. It's not likely to be an established name coach. That's not because Iowa isn't a good job but rather because these big name coach fantasies almost never happen, and I for one would be pretty disappointed if a guy like Diaco is the front-runner by virtue of having played linebacker at Iowa 20 years ago. Big deal.

I would take either one. I think Beielema would be the only one willing to come back to Iowa. Stoops had his chance and chose Oklahoma.

Not exactly true. Oklahoma offered Stoops but had to have an answer right away. Stoops told Iowa he needed to know now if he was being offered or not, and Ferentz hadn't been interviewed yet. Bowlsby said he had promised Ferentz and interview and had to stand by his word, so Stoops called Oklahoma and took the job.

I just heard a theory on the radio that Kirk hired Greg Davis because he was jealous of Bret Bielema's girlfriend or is she his wife now? I know these conspiracy theories might sound crazy, but when you look at the timeline and the pictures and the GD offense it starts to make sense.

Let's not act like Michigan fans and confine our fantasies to coaches with Iowa ties. First of all, guys like Stoops don't generally have second acts this late in the game. They also don't tend to leave elite programs for other elite programs, let alone Iowa, where they'd have to work extremely hard after having already put that time in years ago when they were younger, hungrier, and less established. Bielema is turning things around on an SEC team. Call me surprised if he'd be interested or even a good fit.

Given Iowa's recent history, the next coach at Iowa is far more likely to be somebody that few have heard of before. He'll probably be relatively young and crazy / hungry enough to do what it takes to recruit here, which is basically what Ferentz was when he first arrived. It's not likely to be an established name coach. That's not because Iowa isn't a good job but rather because these big name coach fantasies almost never happen, and I for one would be pretty disappointed if a guy like Diaco is the front-runner by virtue of having played linebacker at Iowa 20 years ago. Big deal.

I don't think Bielama would leave an SEC team for a B1G team, even the Hawks. It's a step down, and we couldn't afford to pay him till the buyout was up.

Realistic candidates outside of the Herky legacy:

Jake Spavital - young, Texas Connection, A&M's OC.
Phillip Montgomery - Baylor OC.
Mark Hudspeth - UL Lafayette HC. Hasn't had a losing season (at UL Lafayette) since 2002.

Those are guys that we could get that score points and have ties to some great recruiting territory.

I don't think Iowa should limit their search to coaches with Iowa ties, either. Why would you exclude nearly the entire universe of possible coaches?

I mentioned Diaco simply because I think he is a legitimate coach, and if he is the front-runner when the time comes, it will not be because he was a linebacker at Iowa (although that may make it more likely that he would be interested in the job), it will be because he is a legit coach. Watch what he does at UConn over the next few years.

Absolutely correct. College sports, especially football, is a cut throat business for better or for worse. If you don't have the nads to play in the dirt with the big boys or you're a fan who likes to play nice it's best you go elsewhere for your entertainment.

Times have changed and we better change with it or I'm afraid of what the results will look like.

Bielema was an Alvarez hand puppet who actually started to believe that he was responsible for Wisconsin's success. Watch him fail at Arkansas. We don't want him in Iowa City.

Bielema was an Alvarez hand puppet who actually started to believe that he was responsible for Wisconsin's success. Watch him fail at Arkansas. We don't want him in Iowa City.

This is how I feel as well. Word in Madison was Alvarez really didn't like Bielema even before he left for Arkansas before the bowl game.

Latest posts