Brett Bielema

What do you mean " first job as a head man " . He was the head coach at the University of Arizona , until he was relieved of his duties for doing such a poor job. Get your facts straight !

I'm glad you're on your high horse. Mike Stoops was the head man at Arizona. Now tell me you don't feel like an a$$.

Iowa may pay its coaches big bucks but I don't think they will do it out of the gate. Barta would hire a coach from the mac conference and take his chances. I don't think he has the b***s to walk with the big boys.
A MAC could would worry me since I think they'd used Iowa as a stepping stone for something bigger. I'd rather have a proven coach who's won at a major school come in. Iowa had great facilities and I think could bring in a proven coach.

I get what you are saying money-wise. It's going to take some time to get that buyout down if they want to go that route which they probably won't.

Jon, I appreciate your honest statements...perhaps never more honest than now. Understanding the stake you have in Hawkeye athletics...it's admirable.

I concur with most everything you say. The big...BIG factor that is very easy to marginalize, is the Sally Mason factor.

It's no surprise that the East Campus types have harbored serious resentment over the popularity and influence resulting from the success of athletics..for 20+ years. They just hate it. It's the personification of everything the arrogant, elitist, academic PC community despise. (and it's also a shining of example of their own ignorance...the exposure that athletic success brings to the University lifts all the departments on campus. But who could expect an academic-ultra-liberal to grasp that)

Excellence. Competition. "Winning" instead of equality. Something inherently "masculine" in its nature. Fill in the blanks with your own description..is the antithesis of their mission. And they'd be smugly glib to see the football program crash... they have their tenure, their golden parachute (you know...the same kind they bash in their classes when it comes in the private sector)...so there's no way they'd accept a coach with intestinal fortitude and a drive to win...like Stoops, Bielema (though I don't care for him) etc.

It started 10 years ago with the campus crack down (can you really explain the ICPD?) and the neutering of Melrose Ave. They're getting what they want. And it's not going to end well for those of us that have loved the last 30 years in Kinnick stadium. Barta is the perfect pansy...an AD with no power and low-T.

Jon, I appreciate your honest statements...perhaps never more honest than now. Understanding the stake you have in Hawkeye athletics...it's admirable.

I concur with most everything you say. The big...BIG factor that is very easy to marginalize, is the Sally Mason factor.

It's no surprise that the East Campus types have harbored serious resentment over the popularity and influence resulting from the success of athletics..for 20+ years. They just hate it. It's the personification of everything the arrogant, elitist, academic PC community despise. (and it's also a shining of example of their own ignorance...the exposure that athletic success brings to the University lifts all the departments on campus. But who could expect an academic-ultra-liberal to grasp that)

Excellence. Competition. "Winning" instead of equality. Something inherently "masculine" in its nature. Fill in the blanks with your own description..is the antithesis of their mission. And they'd be smugly glib to see the football program crash... they have their tenure, their golden parachute (you know...the same kind they bash in their classes when it comes in the private sector)...so there's no way they'd accept a coach with intestinal fortitude and a drive to win...like Stoops, Bielema (though I don't care for him) etc.

It started 10 years ago with the campus crack down (can you really explain the ICPD?) and the neutering of Melrose Ave. They're getting what they want. And it's not going to end well for those of us that have loved the last 30 years in Kinnick stadium. Barta is the perfect pansy...an AD with no power and low-T.

Hey, pal, the Iwa president has pretty impressive seats at Kinnick. It's an honor to be in Sally Mason's box.

Nice to see politics are allowed here. I guess it just has to be the "right" kind of political discussion.

Hey, pal, the Iwa president has pretty impressive seats at Kinnick. It's an honor to be in Sally Mason's box.

There it is, again. Suppose the NW corner could go silent during the waving of the "I" - "W" "A" flags? Screw the card stunts and striped sections ... that would be a feat!

What do you mean " first job as a head man " . He was the head coach at the University of Arizona , until he was relieved of his duties for doing such a poor job. Get your facts straight !

What do the youngsters say nowadays? "Epic Fail"?

Thats Mike Stoops you're talking about...he said Mark Stoops...Mike's (and Bob's) brother. Might want to get your own facts straight before you make yourself out to be a fool again in a public forum.

I don't think Bielema would do as well here as he did in Wisconsin, but I'd take him. He knows how to win in this conference, and makes the tough decisions to do so. He fired an OL coach, like what, two games into the season because he wasn't performing up to par. You think Kirk would ever consider such a thing? No. Biels has that brashness about him, a little like Hayden, and you won't see him selling his own program short like Kirk does constantly. I think we'd at least get back to "I hope we didn't hurt any of your boys" when we played against lesser teams.

There is no reason to not have the same success here as he did at Wisconsin.

Nice to see politics are allowed here. I guess it just has to be the "right" kind of political discussion.

Perhaps the regular invocation of the word "conservative" on this board to critically describe KFz's philosophy somehow escaped you. Not surprising. Selective outrage is as amusing...as it is predictable.

If Jon sees fit to ban me, so be it.I'm willing to accept the outcome of my actions (yeah, imagine that) I'm also one of those who's finally decided to use my beautiful fall Saturdays for other things. 600 mile round trips, $$$ spent and $$ donated to my alma mater haven't been the investment I'd hoped...or more accurately, the one I'm accustomed to. I love and support the kids who work their tails off for the program...I know a few of them personally. And I'll always have a deep affection for my alma mater. The "management"...on the other hand... is pretty weak.

Last edited:
There is one man only that Barta has his sights set on and that's Mark Farley. Here's why: Barta is an idiot, he's "earned it", knows Iowa, conservative, safe hire, and most importantly...cheap! This would be an awful hire but somehow it would make total sense given Barta's idiocy.

I will believe it when I see it with all these people who claim they aren't going to games the rest of the year or aren't renewing for next year. And that is starting with you, 'drummer.

Brett Bielema's an ***. I'd be embarrassed if he was the coach.

I think they should just put out the offer for a new coach to these various message boards. I think there's a large pool of guys that know exactly what plays should have been run come Monday, and I bet they would do it for half as much as kurt!

There is no reason to not have the same success here as he did at Wisconsin.
More population, bigger homegrown talent pool to recruit from. Why do you think Wisconsin's O-line is usually bigger and better than Iowa's? We coulda had Gordon, but guess what, he ended up wanting to stay closer to home.

Last edited:
Biels wanted more money for his coordinators, but Wisconsin wouldn't do it. I've said it from the beginning that him going to Arkansas was a way to position himself for the Iowa job. He's proven he can do it all in this conference, and I think it would be a big mistake not hiring him if Iowa has the chance.

Perhaps the regular invocation of the word "conservative" on this board to critically describe KFz's philosophy somehow escaped you. Not surprising. Selective outrage is as amusing...as it is.

yeah, that's not what I was referring to. Look more towards your comments bashing the east campus liberals.

Once you are done pouting and throwing a hissy about the state of the football program, we can get back to discussing football.

I agree this guy is a total fool and if you talk to any folks from Wisconsin and they can't stand him either. Be careful what you ask for.
They never liked him because he is an Iowa guy and never aplologized for being one.Ironically so was Barry at one time. Also he never won a Rose Bowl..Think about that for a moment. How many Rose Bowls did he get to play in. He would stick it to Wiscy. But first things first. Barta has to go. I don't trust him at all to make the most important hire in the sports dept. He screwed it up with Lick and and the jury is still out on Fran.

Last edited:
Whenever the day comes that Iowa is in the market for a new football coach, which I think is within 5 years max, I don't have a great deal of faith in the University of Iowa hiring machine to make a good call. Some schools say they are committed to things and they are. Some say they are committed to things and then don't act like it...they'll cash the checks from the amazingly loyal Iowa fans, build nice and new shiny things they have to build to stay competitive and all, and pay their head coach tons of money in one of the worst contracts ever put together in collegiate athletics (from the school side of things). Then they'll try to go out and hire coordinators in the lower spectrum of the pay scale among power five conferences. Phil Parker is doing fine. Greg Davis is not money well spent.

I think Kirk Ferentz has been worth most of the money he has been paid...only now am I at the point of wondering if the axis' are crossing a bit...but he is a big part of why the program actually is on very good footing facilities wise...but so are the fans, and now mostly we can thank the B1G TV money for that, too.

I think Gary Barta is excellent at fund raising.

I am not a big Sally Mason fan, which puts it mildly. I'd be fine if she had moved on down the road by the time Iowa hires its next football coach. Losing Skorton flat sucked. Politics.

So yes, if Kirk were to resign in the next year or two, Bret Bielema is my first phone call. Strike that...Bob Stoops is my first phone call (he is 54 now) but I just don't see him leaving Oklahoma. Then call Bielema and I think he would take the job. But I have big time doubts if Iowa's administration would do that...because Iowa just does things their way and I am not a fan of it.

None of this is to say there aren't people there that I like...there are several there that I like. But I am just not a Mason fan, I am not a fan of the culture of nobody ever loses their job, even sexual deviants, they just reassigned or rehired later on down the line....this convo will drift off into the political realm if I continue any further, so I will stop.

Jon, at least Gary Barta gave a phone call to Bruce Pearl after canning Lickliter, even though we knew the answer was probably going to be "no", but at least he made the call.

Latest posts