Brands Bro's Time to Go

Imahawk

Sick and tired of watching ineptitude... one take down in four championship matches - Please send the brothers on their way Gary no balls Barta. Wait Brands will act very angry at the B10 presser so all will be better right?

I don't follow wrestling much so I'm not even sure why I'm responding, but isn't iowa one of the best teams in the nation?

I don't follow wrestling much so I'm not even sure why I'm responding, but isn't iowa one of the best teams in the nation?

Technically, yes they are. But as the OP mentioned, they only had1 takedown in 4 matches. That is pretty pathetic and unacceptable by Iowa standards.

Technically, yes they are. But as the OP mentioned, they only had1 takedown in 4 matches. That is pretty pathetic and unacceptable by Iowa standards.

So the answer is to get rid of the coach who got them there? One of the best programs in the nation but who cares? Fire the coach anyway because of a few bad individual preformances?

There are like 20 schools in the nation who care about wrestling. Iowa is the best one, and should probably get whichever recruits they want. They have won absolutely nothing of consequence in years.

The best comparison is if Coach K went 21-10 for three straight years with zero ACC regular season or tournament titles, and all three times lost in the first weekend of the tournament. If you don't think Duke would consider making a change, you're delusional.

But it's Gary Barta, so he's probably already gotten the extension ready to go.

I really don't care who the coach is I just wish the program could make some money for the University. We have won how many national championships and the program still can't bring in millions of dollars......

There are like 20 schools in the nation who care about wrestling. Iowa is the best one, and should probably get whichever recruits they want. They have won absolutely nothing of consequence in years.

The best comparison is if Coach K went 21-10 for three straight years with zero ACC regular season or tournament titles, and all three times lost in the first weekend of the tournament. If you don't think Duke would consider making a change, you're delusional.

Actually the comparison would be if coach K kept Duke at a top 5 program with no national championships for a few years.

Recruiting's a different story than in most sports. If it was FB or BB where you have a roster full of full rides, then yes, we should be able to bring in whichever recruits we want. However, we have to split our money as we see fit, and if someone else from the top tier offers them a significantly higher package, we may not be able to get that person. The same can happen with several guys and now we're getting guys we target and others we can get in on the money we have left.

Actually the comparison would be if coach K kept Duke at a top 5 program with no national championships for a few years.

It would be if Duke was a top 5 program but couldn't win the ACC or come close to an NCAA championship. We've consistently come up short in the B1G and NCAA tournaments for several years now. I'm not saying we should get rid of them by any means, but something has to change.

Well...we did basically fire jimmy Z for what brands bros have done last few years...everyone gives Tom a pass though because he acts mad and intense. Blames the athletes...yet other sports it's the coaches fault.

Then if wrestling is going to be a non-revenue sport where no one cares about winning or holding coaches accountable, can we stop wasting so much freaking money on it?

iowa fired a guy who had what, 3 national championships in his tenure? replaced by a guy now in a a similar situation with similar tenure length and i believe the same number of national championships - and that isn't good enough either?

iowa message boards offer interesting case studies in psychology.....

It would be if Duke was a top 5 program but couldn't win the ACC or come close to an NCAA championship. We've consistently come up short in the B1G and NCAA tournaments for several years now. I'm not saying we should get rid of them by any means, but something has to change.

Didn't we win the Big this year? Don't we always come pretty close to the Natiinal Championship?

Yeah, we're definitely Coming Close a lot lately. That should be on next year's poster. Iowa Wrestling: Coming Close.

when iowa wrestled missouri, missouri had 3 #1 ranked wrestlers. those wrestlers had a combined 1 take down during this match - the way the rules are now - 1 take down can win a match between two equal in quality wrestlers - stalling is not called - so get your take down and stall your way to victory. wrestlers afraid to make mistakes because that one mistake can cost them the match. don't blame the athlete/the coach, blame the leaders of the sport - things need to change. wrestling needs to be done in the center of the mat, not on the edge.

when iowa wrestled missouri, missouri had 3 #1 ranked wrestlers. those wrestlers had a combined 1 take down during this match - the way the rules are now - 1 take down can win a match between two equal in quality wrestlers - stalling is not called - so get your take down and stall your way to victory. wrestlers afraid to make mistakes because that one mistake can cost them the match. don't blame the athlete/the coach, blame the leaders of the sport - things need to change. wrestling needs to be done in the center of the mat, not on the edge.

This is correct. The fact is uncalled stalling has become widespread throughout the sport. Conservative wrestling in such an environment becomes good strategy which begets more uncalled stalling and continues a vicious cycle. And Iowa is fully participating in this cycle.

But it's not just an Iowa thing, a wrestler thing, or a coach thing. It's literally effecting every team, every big tourney, and far too many big matches. The sport honestly needs an intervention from the admin levels of the NCAA.

My wife and I went to the NCAAs when they were in Des Moines a couple years ago. She was bored out of her mind, and heck I was too. So many matches where a guy would win 2-0 with riding time and an escape. Maybe get one takedown and then nothing happens the whole match. It's just awful to watch.

iowa fired a guy who had what, 3 national championships in his tenure? replaced by a guy now in a a similar situation with similar tenure length and i believe the same number of national championships - and that isn't good enough either?

iowa message boards offer interesting case studies in psychology.....

Wrestling school, tho...

Well...we did basically fire jimmy Z for what brands bros have done last few years...everyone gives Tom a pass though because he acts mad and intense. Blames the athletes...yet other sports it's the coaches fault.

You know why all these other teams nationwide are getting better?? Because Tom can't recruit nationwide!! You can't expect Gable results if you can't get the best in the country!! Hawk wrestling fans should be incensed that We are not dominating at this time of the year! We have to put a thumb in our back and make it happen, placing is not an option. Every year must have an expectation of winning it all!! How far have we fallen? In 83 Gable had 9 big ten champs, in 86 He had 5 champs. Gable had a goal to have 10 Iowa wrestlers on the mat in the finals and everybody else on the other side. We are not shooting high enough, but if you don't have the most talented wrestlers it isn't going to happen. Recruit , Recruit, Recruit!!!!

For whatever reason they just haven't been attacking this year on the mat. No offense. Kind of like our boy Morningstar. Ben Askren is a ******, but he's right.

Latest posts