Brands Bro's Time to Go

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. None.

Tom Brands, with the power of the Iowa wrestling name, won as many meaningful titles as they did at AIB.

Heck even ISU was able to get a Nat Champion while Iowa looked like garbage....

REally Iowa wrestling looks to be turning into what they hate the most......stall stall stall take no shot boring wrestling, and i thought the head coach was better than that i guess not....Iowa wrestling now is BORING garbage

Heck even ISU was able to get a Nat Champion while Iowa looked like garbage....

REally Iowa wrestling looks to be turning into what they hate the most......stall stall stall take no shot boring wrestling, and i thought the head coach was better than that i guess not....Iowa wrestling now is BORING garbage

What place did ISU get again??

You and your ilk are retards and need to crawl back into your holes..

So basically what you keep arguing (poorly) is that Iowa shouldn't be held to the same standards as before. Fine by me. So does that mean we should stop spending so much money on the program?

Heck, they'll get over it. I thought wrestlers were supposed to be tough.

Oklahoma State, with the power of the Oklahoma State Wrestling name, has not won a title for about 10 years.
Fire John Smith. Fire John Smith. It is amazing how stupid many of you "casual" wrestling" fans are. You show up on the board at NCAA tournament time hoping to jump on the bandwagon to the title and when it doesn't happen, you whine around like little school girls.

Brands took over a program from Zalesky that had finished 8th in the NCAAs. 8th! Unheard of for Iowa. I liked Jimmy Z. as a wrestler but as a coach, the program bottomed out. He rode the coat tails of Gable for a few years to win 3 titles but then the program tanked. In two years, Brands started a string of 3 consecutive titles. We all want titles every year, but that is not going to happen anymore. It took UCLA Basketball fans a number of years to figure that out too.
There are many good coaches out there. (Many from the Iowa Program) The state of Iowa is not a wrestling hotbed anymore. Still pretty fair but nothing like Ohio and Pennsylvania and even other states now.

It is a different wrestling world these days.
Well said...While winning the title and having a champion or two would have been nice, Im glad we were again back in the mix of the team title. As a fan it was fun to watch wrestlers from Iowa in every weight class. Further, we were 2nd to a team with some great wrestlers on it, from a state that has always produced great wrestlers, and yet had NEVER won a Natl title prior to this year! (And their coach is a former Hawkeye)!

Last edited:
Well...we did basically fire jimmy Z for what brands bros have done last few years...everyone gives Tom a pass though because he acts mad and intense. Blames the athletes...yet other sports it's the coaches fault.

Yeah, it's either that or those national titles he was winning just a few years ago.

So basically what you keep arguing (poorly) is that Iowa shouldn't be held to the same standards as before. Fine by me. So does that mean we should stop spending so much money on the program?

I think they should drop the men's & women's bb programs first. Those programs run a bigger deficit than wrestling and they NEVER win any titles of any kind.
Hell, wrestling is the ONLY sport we can count on to compete for a National Title, EVERY year.

I think they should drop the men's & women's bb programs first. Those programs run a bigger deficit than wrestling and they NEVER win any titles of any kind.
Hell, wrestling is the ONLY sport we can count on to compete for a National Title, EVERY year.

A lot of matches would have been completely different this year if stalling was an actual factor, the push out rule was in-forced, and they would have a silent 5 count for moving up to the hips while on top. Still, the rules were the rules this year and Iowa didn't adapt to how wrestling was affected by them. Why?

Wrestling has become more tactical than every before, unfortunately I don't see Brands as a tactical guy. Time go to.

A lot of matches would have been completely different this year if stalling was an actual factor, the push out rule was in-forced, and they would have a silent 5 count for moving up to the hips while on top. Still, the rules were the rules this year and Iowa didn't adapt to how wrestling was affected by them. Why?

Wrestling has become more tactical than every before, unfortunately I don't see Brands as a tactical guy. Time go to.

and hire whom??

I like TnT ... on the flip side, you do have to stop every so often and take a step back and truly evaluate the direction of the program. Time and time again, we hear Brands sort of place everything on the wrestlers. They need to be more aggressive. Or, we are leaving too many points on the match ... etc., etc. Okay ... at some point, as a fan, you wonder if TnT simply aren't getting through to the wrestlers ... Are they not recruiting the right type of wrestler for their system? Are they not coaching them up? I don't know ... I am not a wrestler ... I am not a wrestling coach ...

The fact is, Penn State ... and (in my opinion) Ohio State ... have/are passing us by ... PSU is loaded and will bring home another title next year ... Arizona State is another team to watch out for ... Missouri even beat us ... I get it ... there are better programs now ... and that is good for the sport. Iowa wrestling ... like Nebraska football in the 80s, dominated the landscape ... Iowa is still a top 5 wrestling program ... And not sure if we will ever climb back on top.

As for replacing Tnt ... not sure who I would bring in. My two cents is you need to take a look at the program as a whole and determine what is realistic, and what your expectations as a program ... One really concerning item to me is the 2010 recruiting class and the fact not one of them won a title ...

I think the Iowa wrestling dynasty is a thing of the past. We may sneak in a national title every 6 or 7 seven years but I don't it will happen any more often than that with TnT ... Sure, I love that TnT are intense ... but there seems to be a disconnect between what he says his wrestlers SHOULD be doing and what they are ACTUALLY doing ... Either we aren't getting the right guys ... or our coaches are not getting through ..

Wow a lot of foolish posts in this thread. Amazing how some of you think you know something about how the Iowa program should be ran. It's one thing to have an opinion. .. But..

Wow a lot of foolish posts in this thread. Amazing how some of you think you know something about how the Iowa program should be ran. It's one thing to have an opinion. .. But..

You hit it right on the head. Some of these so called experts are drinking way to much kool-aid.

Well...we did basically fire jimmy Z for what brands bros have done last few years...everyone gives Tom a pass though because he acts mad and intense. Blames the athletes...yet other sports it's the coaches fault.

Sports like golf and wrestling are different. 1 athlete.

iowa fired a guy who had what, 3 national championships in his tenure? replaced by a guy now in a a similar situation with similar tenure length and i believe the same number of national championships - and that isn't good enough either?

iowa message boards offer interesting case studies in psychology.....

It's usually the same 4-5 posters. Experts...

Hey, if you're happy with mediocrity, fine by me. But then stop spending so much state money on a minor sport that doesn't win anything. I'm thinking that the field hockey budget should be just fine. Heck, the field hockey team won as many Big 10 titles as the actual wrestling team, so maybe we should just get them wrestle in the field hockey off-season.

Superstar, if you think there's been a single thing mediocre about Iowa wrestling in about the last 4 decades, your definition is skewed.

Yeah, I'm about 11 months late to this thread, but your crap hasn't changed and you're the same on every board.

Hey--great call on resurrecting a year-old thread...on the weekend where Iowa gets blown out by Penn State...again...at home...

Anything else you're interested in being wrong about?

Latest posts