Brady Ellingson Commits to Iowa

In Fran we Trust. If he likes this young man then that's all I need to know. I'm excited to see him play as a Hawk in the future. Welcome aboard and good luck Brady!

Yeah. He only had offers from schools like Xavier, Dayton, and Mizzou whom as we all know have been in the depths of CBB hell for many years. Oh wait what? Those are perennial 2nd-3rd round NCAA tournament teams over the past few years? Oh ok. My bad.

Hey fellas, can we pump the brakes on the delusion here? How has this fanbase somehow convinced itself that Olesani and Oglesby are BoneG level players, but take a look at this kid's offer sheet and decide he's an obvious panic move by a desperate coach?

Guess what guys, just because one top recruit ALMOST wanted to come here does not make us a power player! We were in the NIT championship game last year, so don't expect a ton of top 100 recruits to throw themselves at us. It's liek ISU thinking that losing the Liberty Bowl suddenly makes them a force in recruiting.

Unless the state of Iowa is hiding other 4* talent, Fran's going to have to skim the margins for overlooked guys liek Ellingson, just liek he did with Aaron White, Melsahn Basabe, and Anthony Clemmons.

Hey fellas, can we pump the brakes on the delusion here? How has this fanbase somehow convinced itself that Olesani and Oglesby are BoneG level players, but take a look at this kid's offer sheet and decide he's an obvious panic move by a desperate coach?

Guess what guys, just because one top recruit ALMOST wanted to come here does not make us a power player! We were in the NIT championship game last year, so don't expect a ton of top 100 recruits to throw themselves at us. It's liek ISU thinking that losing the Liberty Bowl suddenly makes them a force in recruiting.

Unless the state of Iowa is hiding other 4* talent, Fran's going to have to skim the margins for overlooked guys liek Ellingson, just liek he did with Aaron White, Melsahn Basabe, and Anthony Clemmons.

How does anyone know this was a fall-back, panic move by Fran? How do we know he wouldn't have taken him even if he had landed Ulis?

Looks like we have a guy who has a natural-looking three point shot, who shot 48% from three, and, while not extermely quick can dribble-drive. You'd think he was Bawinkle II reading some of these posts. Kid has some game and I'm glad Fran landed him.

I was just ruffling feathers. I commend Fran for his efforts. He should have picked up Ulis. Unfortunately Fran put all of his eggs into that basket and I think we had a very good chance of landing him until Kentucky stuck their nose up Ulis' rear end. As long as Fran can bring a good player or two in next year I don't see any problems. If we go this year and next year without some big impact recruits though there will be issues down the road.

Sigh.....unfortunately I have to agree with this. Hopefully a successful 2013 season, with lots of media love and a NCAA tourney appearance will get us a solid if not great 2015 recruiting class.

This is one ride of 4 Mccaffery has to give. He could afford to take a chance on a kid. Sorta like last year Iowa State offering Jeremy Morgan, who turned around and tea bagged Iowa State the next day and committed to Northern Iowa.

Ellingson = shooting guard; the little 5' guy = point guard. Fran, panic in recruiting? Yeah, good one. I am absolutely overwhelmed by the scouting and recruiting knowledge level displayed by a number of posters on this topic. Thank you so much for enlightening me. But, in the meantime, lets try this one: Nobody who has posted on this board has any idea what Fran has in mind for this kid and how he will pan out, and that certainly includes me. But, I guess Fran has done pretty well so far.

blind trust trumps all

anyway

probably a good bet that what fran has planned for ellingson is a redshirt.

you need a sharpshooter -- that box is now checked. if ellingson can turn out like macausland or berkenpas and have a couple of games a year where he knocks down 3 or 4 threes, ok.

blind trust trumps all

anyway

probably a good bet that what fran has planned for ellingson is a redshirt.

you need a sharpshooter -- that box is now checked. if ellingson can turn out like macausland or berkenpas and have a couple of games a year where he knocks down 3 or 4 threes, ok.

And blind pessimism is better?

Which makes more sense? Trusting Fran who has proven he can take under the radar guys and either spot the talent, or develop the talent (Marble, White, Olesani, Clemmons, Jok)......or trusting some internet posters who have seen a couple highlight videos.

I'm pretty sure most sane people will trust a head coach who actually does this for a living, not some dude in an office, basement, or library posting n the internet. :rolleyes:

One thing we all know Iowa Basketball needs right now is more shooters.. Ellingson fits that bill, so I see that as a recruit that helps fill a need. It's not the worst thing in the world. If Fran recruited a player with a skill set for which we already have a log jam, then I might be scratching my head a little bit. But we need shooters.

Who's to say Ellingson will ever be all-conference (not likely I suppose), but there's nothing wrong being a role player on a team - even the best teams have those types of players. They can still contribute. If he can come in off the bench and knock down a few threes, I see this as something that will help make the team better.

Now if the remaining scholarships all go to 2* recruits, then I will be somewhat disappointed (and worried), but I have no reason at this point to distrust Fran's judgment.

On TOS, an AAU coach from Dubuque whose team played Ray Allen Select a few times and saw them play a number of times claims that Riley LaChance's dad coached Ray Allen Select and set the team up to give Riley and Brady over 20 shots/game, and they both rose in profile after having big scoring summers. He says that both are good players,but he prefers Wyatt Lohaus from IC West over LaChance....more athletic than both of these guys. I just think we have to be realistic.....Fran targeted at least ten guys that we struck out on before offering these two. That is not first tier or even second tier targets. I think we can afford a scholly to a shooter like Brady and I welcome him,but beyond that, we need quickness and athleticism to play the 100 mph style that Fran loves to play. Does anyone not remember the years when Mr. Davis did not have the athletes to press in his style? Guys like Gary Grant of Michigan and Sam Valentine of MSU would just shred our press leading to easy layups. If we are going to recruit Badger type of slo-ball players, then we need to play like Bo and the Badgers. If we are going to play like VCU, then we need VCU type of players. Shaka Smart does not go to rural Wisconsin for his style....we cannot make a living that way either.

A little more on Ellingson as well as some interesting comments on upcoming visitor, Riley LaChance...............

NY2LASPORTS.COM - 2014 SG BRADY ELLINGSON TO IOWA

Thanks for the link, I especially loved this quote:

“We’re best friends and we’ve been playing together since fourth grade,” Ellingson said. “I don’t see why we wouldn’t want to play with each other still. That would just be incredible.”

If getting Ellingson also gets Iowa LaChance then this will be an awesome package deal.

Yeah. He only had offers from schools like Xavier, Dayton, and Mizzou whom as we all know have been in the depths of CBB hell for many years. Oh wait what? Those are perennial 2nd-3rd round NCAA tournament teams over the past few years? Oh ok. My bad.

Mizzou - 3 straight losses in the 2nd Rd of NCAA (of 64...calling it 2nd Rd still seems dumb to me)
Dayton - 2 NIT berths (2011-2012, one loss to Iowa)
Xavier - 2 NCAA berths (2012 Sweet 16 wins over 7 ND, 15 Lehigh; 2011 2nd Rd Loss)

Keep pumping that sunshine

Last edited:
I think they offered Ellingson in hopes of LaChance; LaChance is a much higher caliber player. LaChance seems to be a strong Gopher lean currently.

For me, as long as he can stand behind the line and makes a few 3s then life will be good. We need good long-range shooters in this offense. He fits into what Fran is doing ... building a team around several players and not just around one. I would take several 3 stars (and a 4-star or two) who play well together (and who play together for more than one year) over a lineup that changes every year. It's why schools like Butler, etc., can do well in the tournament because they play together for 3 or 4 years. I don't want the 1 and done players.

Mizzou - 3 straight losses in the 2nd Rd of NCAA (of 64...calling it 2nd Rd still seems dumb to me)
Dayton - 2 NIT births (2011-2012, one loss to Iowa)
Xavier - 2 NCAA births (2012 Sweet 16 wins over 7 ND, 15 Lehigh; 2011 2nd Rd Loss)

Keep pumping that sunshine

First of all, Clone fans are really dumb. Second of all, Xavier has made 5 sweet 16's in the last decade, four since 2008. Imagine how much circle jerking you Clone fans would be doing if you had made one sweet 16 in that time period. Third, it's extremely ironic for a Clone fan to call out us for "pumping that sunshine". #momentum, #quietconfidence

Latest posts