Boycott Iowa athletics until Gary Barta is gone!

The school/program to me is bigger than Barta. To discontinue following/caring/spending my money on them wouldn't fix anything either. Carvers been under 6k fans lots of times and it doesn't affect the AD firing the coach immediately. That takes lots of time. The main thing it does is shows the nation that our fan base doesn't support the team all that well...
If losing gets to be way worse for a longer period of time then him getting let go will take care of itself. Iowa can afford the buyout. It'd hurt but the way I look at those is if the school absolutely can not afford to do it then they shouldn't offer it.

I didn't know there were so many snowflakes who were Hawkeye fans. Boycott athletics because he gave the basketball coach too much on a buyout and didn't announce as promptly as he should have?

Wow, just think how they'd have reacted if he looked the other way on athletes sexually assaulting boys or women.

Or I can teach them to be a front runner.
The most important thing to teach them is to strive for greatness. In any thing they attempt. Make the effort. If someone had taken the time to teach that simple lesson to Gary Barta, we wouldn't be in this mess.

The most important thing to teach them is to strive for greatness. In any thing they attempt. Make the effort. If someone had taken the time to teach that simple lesson to Gary Barta, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Lightning, I'm really not trying to steal your thunder here (see what I did there). However, before you start calling someone out, you should know more about them. While at NDSU he was a member of the Bison football team that won the 1983, 1985, and 1986 NCAA Division II National Championships. Now, he wasn't a great player and didn't play much, but when you are part of three National Championship teams...you pretty much have a grasp on the "striving for greatness" request you so eloquently stated he doesn't know anything about.

I get people want to blame someone for what's happening in Iowa Basketball right now...but to start the year, everyone was excited about the prospects...including Barta I'm sure. Sometimes you don't know how severe your liabilities are until you start playing great competition. Should Fran have known...sure...but I wouldn't be blaming Barta...I'd blame the coach. I honestly think Fran can turn this around. We are a Lebron James away from contending...and a Joe Wieskamp away from being competitive.

Yes it is. Look how many on this board alone defend anything and everything Fran related because they are so scared things could go back to the Lick era. If you don't know by now that Fran is never going to be anything better than a mediocre coach you are fooling yourself and a majority of the fans want to give him another year or even longer. You might not think that means they love mediocrity but they gladly accept it out of fear things could be worse.

Exactly what I stated. They aren't loving it, they merely accept it. Big difference.

That's pretty much what Fran has done the last 4 years.

No. Not consistently. They've haven't bucked the "Bubble Team" status. For the most part, most years, the top 6 teams are pretty safe to be in the tourney. If the team is battling for a 1-5 top spot, I can live with that, that is if every so many years push for 1 or 2. That's my point.

Lightning, I'm really not trying to steal your thunder here (see what I did there). However, before you start calling someone out, you should know more about them. While at NDSU he was a member of the Bison football team that won the 1983, 1985, and 1986 NCAA Division II National Championships. Now, he wasn't a great player and didn't play much, but when you are part of three National Championship teams...you pretty much have a grasp on the "striving for greatness" request you so eloquently stated he doesn't know anything about.

I get people want to blame someone for what's happening in Iowa Basketball right now...but to start the year, everyone was excited about the prospects...including Barta I'm sure. Sometimes you don't know how severe your liabilities are until you start playing great competition. Should Fran have known...sure...but I wouldn't be blaming Barta...I'd blame the coach. I honestly think Fran can turn this around. We are a Lebron James away from contending...and a Joe Wieskamp away from being competitive.
I'm judging Barta but his own words and more importantly, by his own deeds. The man runs the worst AD in the conference, by W/L and conference titles. Hands down. Look at the numbers. It's been that way since he took over. So, whatever he's been striving for....it should be obvious that he's achieved it. Because he keeps producing the same results, year after year after year.

I'll be the disappointed/delusional fan that sits on the edge of his couch every night watching his beloved team while asking himself at what point do I turn this crap off...and then repeat the same cycle the next game and the game after that, and so on...

That said there may come a time in my life in which Connor or Patrick join Fran's staff with the intent of becoming the next basketball coach and at that moment rather than turning the TV off I will simply throw a chair through it and never look back.

How dare you insert reason into this.

How dare you insert reason into this.
Now just show how "reasonable" is it that the same guy leads an AD that's dead last, or next to dead last in every Directors Cup since he took the job? He was on as many or more championship teams as a back up at NDSU, than he's seen come through the doors at Iowa, by any coach he's hired, in his entire tenure!
I'd prefer that you leave your idea of "reason" out of it. It doesn't measure up.

Now just show how "reasonable" is it that the same guy leads an AD that's dead last, or next to dead last in every Directors Cup since he took the job? He was on as many or more championship teams as a back up at NDSU, than he's seen come through the doors at Iowa, by any coach he's hired, in his entire tenure!
I'd prefer that you leave your idea of "reason" out of it. It doesn't measure up.

Great call here, I spend most of the summer just dreaming of winning the Director's Cup at Iowa. It's all I think about. Let's face it, Gary Barta needs to run a clean organization, keep the big time boosters happy and comfortable, raise money, keep the facilities top notch, and win at Football and Basketball. Right now, one program is struggling...and I get the scrutiny.

People who piss and moan about the football program don't understand the fine line between winning and losing at a program like Iowa in the B10 conference. It's very fine. We are two years removed from an undefeated season and we've had serious injury issues the past two years that impacted the win loss record against top competition. Even starting two freshmen tackles, the team could have easily won 10 games this year if a few plays go their way against one of the tougher schedules in the country. Football, the cash cow, is going in the right direction despite what the whine patrol says. We played a ton of young players and that bodes well for the future...and the recruiting classes are better too.

Everyone around here reveres Hayden Fry...well...check out the last seven years Hayden put up. Five or six of the last seven would have called for his firing if he were coaching today. Kirk Ferentz wins 8 games and is one score away in 3 others and people want his head. I think technology has everyone so close to the panic button that people can't endure any type of adversity without lashing out...that the sky is falling and someone needs to be fired. Honestly...I really don't believe you have an understanding of what you criticize.

1992 Iowa 5 - 7 - 0 .
1993 Iowa 6 - 6 - 0 .
1994 Iowa 5 - 5 - 1 .
1995 Iowa 8 - 4 - 0
1996 Iowa 9 - 3 - 0
1997 Iowa 7 - 5 - 0
1998 Iowa 3 - 8 - 0

Last edited:
Great call here, I spend most of the summer just dreaming of winning the Director's Cup at Iowa. It's all I think about. Let's face it, Gary Barta needs to run a clean organization, keep the big time boosters happy and comfortable, raise money, keep the facilities top notch, and win at Football and Basketball. Right now, one program is struggling...and I get the scrutiny.

People who piss and moan about the football program don't understand the fine line between winning and losing at a program like Iowa in the B10 conference. It's very fine. We are two years removed from an undefeated season and we've had serious injury issues the past two years that impacted the win loss record against top competition. Even starting two freshmen tackles, the team could have easily won 10 games this year if a few plays go their way against one of the tougher schedules in the country. Football, the cash cow, is going in the right direction despite what the whine patrol says. We played a ton of young players and that bodes well for the future...and the recruiting classes are better too.

Everyone around here reveres Hayden Fry...well...check out the last seven years Hayden put up. Five or six of the last seven would have called for his firing if he were coaching today. Kirk Ferentz wins 8 games and is one score away in 3 others and people want his head. I think technology has everyone so close to the panic button that people can't endure any type of adversity without lashing out...that the sky is falling and someone needs to be fired. Honestly...I really don't believe you have an understanding of what you criticize.

1992 Iowa 5 - 7 - 0 .
1993 Iowa 6 - 6 - 0 .
1994 Iowa 5 - 5 - 1 .
1995 Iowa 8 - 4 - 0
1996 Iowa 9 - 3 - 0
1997 Iowa 7 - 5 - 0
1998 Iowa 3 - 8 - 0

You make a huge mistake in the argument you will never win. Factor in the "graduation" of coordinators. The OC schedule was tougher. Fry made Iowans feel good about being Iowans. The latter is the most important factor.

1992 Iowa 5 - 7 - 0 .
1993 Iowa 6 - 6 - 0 .
1994 Iowa 5 - 5 - 1 .
1995 Iowa 8 - 4 - 0
1996 Iowa 9 - 3 - 0
1997 Iowa 7 - 5 - 0
1998 Iowa 3 - 8 - 0
Unless there is some other metric to measure an AD's win/loss success against their peers...that's what I'm gonna use.
Gary Barta's gonna be busy trying to get those big boosters to pay extra for the empty seats. Good for the both of them, they deserve each other.
I'm not pissing and moaning about the football program. I'm pissing and moaning about Barta. KF has his own issues and we can get into them, if you like.
There is NO comparison between Hayden Fry and KF. Hayden Fry hung around far too long. No argument there.
I don't care what you believe. I feel the same about you're level of understanding of college football. Let me know when you stop crying and come out of the corner, now that you know how I feel.

You make a huge mistake in the argument you will never win. Factor in the "graduation" of coordinators. The OC schedule was tougher. Fry made Iowans feel good about being Iowans. The latter is the most important factor.
To name a few of the many reasons that KF can't carry Hayden's jock strap. To equate the 2 men is a joke. Laughable.

Latest posts