Bowl Ticket Sales - Aside from Iowa & MSU, What's Wrong with the B1G?

Ps... I had also heard schools were supposed to start getting better tickets. This was supposed to happen a couple years ago. It was to combat fans going thru secondary markets. Soooo... Hasn't happened yet.

The new bowl agreements start next year. I think we can expect the schools to get better seats starting at that point.

Good observation. Do the math...there are a lot more tickets...and better tickets...available through other channels.

But this would be for all bowls or are you suggesting that MSU and Iowa are the only fans buying through their respective universities??

It's not just that the seats are third level and end zone, it's that the UIowa tacks on another $20+ on top of the face value.

I will say this, having gone to the Outback Bowl 5 years ago, I was able to scoop up much cheaper tickets on the secondary market then, then what I'm seeing now.
$83 on StubHub is the cheapest I'm seeing on the Iowa side and this is 3rd level sideline.
5 years ago, I was able to get tickets in that same area, albeit closer to the 50-yard-line for around $25/ticket.

There are major issues with the future of bowl games with these pathetic attendance figures, nationwide.

I used to say that Nebraska traveled better than Iowa, but I can no longer say that after the pathetic showing by Debbie.
Met a local Debbie fan working at Burger King in Tampa, and he says give Pelini one more year and then hire Ed Orgeron.
A Cornshucker fan working at a Burger King in Tampa? Yeah, that sounds about right.

A Cornshucker fan working at a Burger King in Tampa? Yeah, that sounds about right.

It was unclear to me whether the poster or the husker fan was working at BK. I'm 99.9% sure it was the husker fan based on the context, but I don't know why scooby would even be at a BK unless he was constipated and needed a laxative, so I didn't want to badmouth working at BK just in case it was scooby working there.

One thing I forgot to write in my original post was something many of you pointed out - the reality of (many) alternate sites to get tickets. But I look at that as a wash between all the schools involved. In other words, I do expect that, even with alternate site ticket sales, the numbers I posted will be representative of how many fans of each will be there. For example, I fully expect now that South Carolina will have many, many more fans in the stadium than Wisconsin will - same with Georgia over Nebraska. I also expect that both of those stadiums will be far, far less than capacity. But I expect the Outback Bowl to be far closer to capacity than many of the bowls, and less than a sell-out only because there won't be nearly as many LSU fans. But I expect a huge sea of black and gold in Tampa Wednesday.

The fact the schools have to eat the tickets they don't sell speaks volumes on the arrogance of the bowl setups.

And trust me, the allotted tickets you buy *suck* compared to what you can buy on your own.

At least the minimum win total to play in a bowl game next year will be 7.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard that. With only a 3 game noncon schedule, and considering they haven't won more than 3 conference games in almost 10 years, ISU may never play in a bowl game again.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard that. With only a 3 game noncon schedule, and considering they haven't won more than 3 conference games in almost 10 years, ISU may never play in a bowl game again.

Lazard. South end zone. CPR. Wally. Each of the foregoing are worth 2 conference wins per year. Add three non-con wins. 11-1.

It was unclear to me whether the poster or the husker fan was working at BK. I'm 99.9% sure it was the husker fan based on the context, but I don't know why scooby would even be at a BK unless he was constipated and needed a laxative, so I didn't want to badmouth working at BK just in case it was scooby working there.

My 3-year-old was hungry, as wife and I ate lunch while she was sleeping in the backseat.
I went to checkout the Coca-Cola freestyle fountain machine, after being at the zoo all day.
The freestyle fountain machine is awesome.

I used to work at BK in Cedar Rapids for a couple of months, and this was for a management position at the BK that opened in Iowa City in 1999.
I had my econ degree, but couldn't find work in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area in 1998-1999, so I was delivering pizzas for Paul Revere's most of that time, with a 2-month stint in the BK management program.
So, you can badmouth me a little. I still like to eat at BK, even after seeing it behind the counter for a couple of months.

The Husker fan saw my Iowa shirt and made a comment on them beating "my Huskers" pretty good.

Lazard. South end zone. CPR. Wally. Each of the foregoing are worth 2 conference wins per year. Add three non-con wins. 11-1.
You are forgetting one thing, the reason for all their losses has been terminated. Once they bring in "the answer" at OC, you can tack on another 2 wins. 13-0.

When i've gone to the bowl, the last seats I've gone looking for are the University allotment. Iowa selling the full boat means the tours are full and the majority of the good seats are gone or bought up by the professional scalpers. It's surprising though that the school numbers are so low...and I'm afraid it does translate to apathy in the fan base for some reason. In the Minny game, I didn't watch it...was there a good turn out. There should have been.

bottom line....people dont' care that much about bowl games anymore. Why pay all that money for something that is more or less an exhibition game. This trend is nothing new...bowl attendance has been going down for years now.

bottom line....people dont' care that much about bowl games anymore. Why pay all that money for something that is more or less an exhibition game. This trend is nothing new...bowl attendance has been going down for years now.

Agree with this

I agree that Wisconsin fans have been spoiled with three straight Rose Bowls and OSU fans are bitter about not going to the title game. I also think the scam of buying through the universities is becoming more widely known, as many of these venues make the allotments endzone and corner seats. Sorry, but there is no way in hell I'm dropping over a grand to pump up a local economy and wind up sitting in the endzone so Bubba from the Orlando Jaycees can sit at the 50. I've never been to a bowl game and that is a big reason I won't go (the other being my job is always busy at year end) - everyone I know who has bought through a school, be it Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern or Michigan has been completely ticked off at the crappy seats they got from the school. Given that these things are all about tourism, the bowls should ensure that the real guests of honor, the loyal fans of the schools, are guaranteed seats between the 20s at a reasonable price. Obviously that doesn't apply to the Rose Bowl, but the rest should bend over backwards for the fans who travel.

Note even sure there IS an active chapter of Jaycees in Orlando. But if there was, Jimmy Stewart said it best: "They do most of the living and working and dying in this town..."

That said, THOSE types rate skyboxes, not mere 50-yard-line seating.

People know they can get better seats other ways than the University's allotment.

i will never be the smartest dude in the room, but i thought this was pretty much common knowledge by now. I figured that out after Iowa's first Orange bowl trip.

The Husker fan saw my Iowa shirt and made a comment on them beating "my Huskers" pretty good.

At the point you walked in, how many Big King's had the husker fan smashed, 8-9? And was he able to fit in single booth or did he need to take up multiple booths while grazing?

Thanks for the info...

Is this supported by factual evidence...or just a surmise on your part? If so, it's sad. Any time tradition gets splattered all over the place by naming rights, advertising, and the ridiculousness of too many bowls , it just kind of sucks. The Meineke Car Care - Blue Bonnet - Summer's Eve Bowl be damned. I like the B10 and SEC lining up as much as they can...it's created a greater rivalry (although we've been getting our butt's kicked) among the conferences and I actually get jacked up to watch the Jan 1 bowl match ups. I can see attendance to the above mentioned lower level bowls being down, but to the Jan 1 and BCS games, it would surprise me.

I think you can sum this all up with expectations and disappointment. OSU was all pumped up for the NC game and then lost the last game. Wisky been to Rose Bowls last few years, lost the last game and the cap one may seem like little let down. Michigan and Nebby had disappointing seasons and the fan base are both clearly down on their program. Minnesota has no fans the state loves the Vikings

This. Also, being able to buy better tickets for cheap from second party vendors doesn't help. Also, from what I have heard, football attendance is down in many stadiums, NFL included.

Fans have no problem sitting in their own living rooms, drinking their own beer, watching the games on their own hi-def TVs, as opposed to fighting parking messes, rude fans, and $12 beers.

I used to say that Nebraska traveled better than Iowa, but I can no longer say that after the pathetic showing by Debbie.

One game, brah, and totally different situations. But think whatever you want as long as it makes you feel better.

At the point you walked in, how many Big King's had the husker fan smashed, 8-9? And was he able to fit in single booth or did he need to take up multiple booths while grazing?

Yeah, but Nebraska fans are the dumb ones..........

I think you can sum this all up with expectations and disappointment. OSU was all pumped up for the NC game and then lost the last game. Wisky been to Rose Bowls last few years, lost the last game and the cap one may seem like little let down. Michigan and Nebby had disappointing seasons and the fan base are both clearly down on their program. Minnesota has no fans the state loves the Vikings

This is exactly what it is. In every instance except Iowa, MSU and Minnesota, the end of season result was some level of disappointment...How do you hype the dumpiest stadium amongst all the bowls (Cap One) to a fanbase who had been to three straight Rose Bowls set in front of the San Gabriel mountains? OSU was national title or bust. Nebraska had a bummer year vs their expectations. Michigan never expects 7-5 and they finished 2-6 down the last eight games. Minnesota went 8-4 and got dropped to the Texas Bowl, where they still didn't sell tickets which keeps them in bottom tier status as far as bowl traveling reputation goes. PSU is ineligible.

Everyone from the B1G will sell out the Rose...and Iowa is coming off a 4-8 season. Makes sense.

Latest posts