Bohannon crow anyone?

So take away numbers of assists since Mike had way more than Jordan will this year. How were Mike's assists unimpressive but Jordan's are impressive?

Because Mike refused to feed the post even when it was there. And to be clear, I never said all of Mikes assists were unimpressive. He never would have sniffed the assist record if he didn't have 2 of the best contested jump shooters in Iowa history to pass to. Even you can agree with that.

Because Mike refused to feed the post even when it was there. And to be clear, I never said all of Mikes assists were unimpressive. He never would have sniffed the assist record if he didn't have 2 of the best contested jump shooters in Iowa history to pass to. Even you can agree with that.

Who would he feed the post to? Woody?

Jordan wouldn't even sniff the assist the freshman record if he didn't have Jok this year. Even you can agree with that

Jordan has had a pretty good season especially for a freshman. I had basically zero expectations for him before the season, but overall he's handled being forced into starting at PG about as well as you can hope. He has his limitations but has plenty of time to improve. I'm looking forward to watching him play the next 3+ seasons.

Who would he feed the post to? Woody?

Jordan wouldn't even sniff the assist the freshman record if he didn't have Jok this year. Even you can agree with that

Take a look at what Jordan's assist average was at 5 games ago (the 3 Jok was hurt and the 2 he didn't play). Then look at what he averaged over the last 5 games. I would assume it's less. It's not a put down to say passing to good shooters helps your assist numbers. It's common sense.

Take a look at what Jordan's assist average was at 5 games ago (the 3 Jok was hurt and the 2 he didn't play). Then look at what he averaged over the last 5 games. I would assume it's less. It's not a put down to say passing to good shooters helps your assist numbers. It's common sense.

So his assists are unimpressive like Mike's were

But Mike had a lot more assists so it's pretty much even

It is probably fairly close. I've probably said "nice pass" after a Bohannon pass 10 or 15 times. That's less than 1 per game. On the flip side, I probably said "nice pass" maybe 5 times in an entire year with Mike. So maybe 20 more of the "nice pass" assists for Jordan over an entire year. That's not a lot but it's probably around four times more than Mike had.

Obviously no one racks up huge assist numbers throwing awesome pass after awesome pass. Most of them come in the flow of the offense. My whole point was a rebuttal to you saying he's obviously a good passer because he got the assist record. That's not the case. He got the assist record because he rarely shot the ball in an uptempo system with 2 of the best jump shooters in Iowa history. It doesn't mean he's a bad passer. He just wasn't a great one.

Context...

It is probably fairly close. I've probably said "nice pass" after a Bohannon pass 10 or 15 times. That's less than 1 per game. On the flip side, I probably said "nice pass" maybe 5 times in an entire year with Mike. So maybe 20 more of the "nice pass" assists for Jordan over an entire year. That's not a lot but it's probably around four times more than Mike had.

Obviously no one racks up huge assist numbers throwing awesome pass after awesome pass. Most of them come in the flow of the offense. My whole point was a rebuttal to you saying he's obviously a good passer because he got the assist record. That's not the case. He got the assist record because he rarely shot the ball in an uptempo system with 2 of the best jump shooters in Iowa history. It doesn't mean he's a bad passer. He just wasn't a great one.

Context...

Mike wasn't a great passer?

Mike was pretty great at getting into the lane and drawing the defense, bouncing it to White on the baseline for quite a few dunks. And Mike could push it in transition which JB hasn't done very much at all. Both really benefit from being the in bounder under the hoop though as not all teams use their point guard for that role. That's where Woody and Oleseni did a lot of damage for Mike, and this year with Pemsl and Cook. But how many assists did Woolridge get passing it to Kingsbury 30 feet from the hoop and having him nail a long one? Or his fake 3 alley oops we used to run? Dean Oliver had Luke Recker, Brody Boyd, Ryan Hogan, etc. It's simply how the game works. Horner was lucky to have Brunner inside who had a really great drop step to finish for him, but also had Haluska on the wing and Pierce/Leslie slashing for him on curls. I think all those guys were more creative and better drivers than JB has shown to be, but each has their players of strength around them. It wasn't until last season that we considered ourselves a pretty good shooting team, so Gesell spent the first three years on teams that didn't shoot the 3 very well, so to argue Mike got a lot of assists off jumps shots isn't very accurate. It probably did help him get up to 6 assists/game last year, but that's also the school record.

Mike was pretty great at getting into the lane and drawing the defense, bouncing it to White on the baseline for quite a few dunks. And Mike could push it in transition which JB hasn't done very much at all. Both really benefit from being the in bounder under the hoop though as not all teams use their point guard for that role. That's where Woody and Oleseni did a lot of damage for Mike, and this year with Pemsl and Cook. But how many assists did Woolridge get passing it to Kingsbury 30 feet from the hoop and having him nail a long one? Or his fake 3 alley oops we used to run? Dean Oliver had Luke Recker, Brody Boyd, Ryan Hogan, etc. It's simply how the game works. Horner was lucky to have Brunner inside who had a really great drop step to finish for him, but also had Haluska on the wing and Pierce/Leslie slashing for him on curls. I think all those guys were more creative and better drivers than JB has shown to be, but each has their players of strength around them. It wasn't until last season that we considered ourselves a pretty good shooting team, so Gesell spent the first three years on teams that didn't shoot the 3 very well, so to argue Mike got a lot of assists off jumps shots isn't very accurate. It probably did help him get up to 6 assists/game last year, but that's also the school record.

You must have a short memory. Mike rarely ever passed when he drove the lane. Also our entire offense last year was Jok and Uthoff shooting jumpers. We had almost no inside game at all.

You must have a short memory. Mike rarely ever passed when he drove the lane. Also our entire offense last year was Jok and Uthoff shooting jumpers. We had almost no inside game at all.

Nope not a short memory at all. We didn't have White or Oleseni last year, so yeah the offense changed to more jumpers instead of above the rim. We were also much better shooting last year than Mike's previous three years so that would make sense. But he still had quite a few pick and pops with Woody and drive and dishes to Sapp baseline as well. Clemmons was especially effective finishing around the hoop in traffic. When he put his head down to get to the basket, he rarely passed. When he drove into the lane and dropped it off, or like I said the bounce passes to White on the baseline two years ago, they were pretty great. Did he make up his mind before he drove if he was passing or shooting? Probably. Was he pretty good at passing in traffic? Absolutely.

Nope not a short memory at all. We didn't have White or Oleseni last year, so yeah the offense changed to more jumpers instead of above the rim. We were also much better shooting last year than Mike's previous three years so that would make sense. But he still had quite a few pick and pops with Woody and drive and dishes to Sapp baseline as well. Clemmons was especially effective finishing around the hoop in traffic. When he put his head down to get to the basket, he rarely passed. When he drove into the lane and dropped it off, or like I said the bounce passes to White on the baseline two years ago, they were pretty great. Did he make up his mind before he drove if he was passing or shooting? Probably. Was he pretty good at passing in traffic? Absolutely.

I disagree that Mike was good at passing in traffic but whatever. I don't care to bash an ex player unless it's to troll a troll.

I do love the "only conference play" matters guys, especially the ones that are giving Bohannon credit for unimpressive assists even though they wouldn't for Mike. I don't know so many of you can discredit Mike and call yourself a true fan

I suspect you would use whatever set of stats fits your narrative. Your disdain for Bohannon borders on compulsive.

Latest posts