Bohanan is a Hawk

I hate to say it, but this long into Fran's tenure, it's kind of sad that he is bringing in mid major recruiting classes consisting of non-elite Iowa boys when the rest of the conference is loading up with studs. Fran absolutely needs to land a difference maker who can create his own shot with his last scholly. Preferably somebody that a school other than UNI wanted. The role players he brought it will be good at doing just that...being role players.

Kreisler is a better recruit as far as ratings as such but I think I like Bohannon more.

Just wanted to note I have not seen Pemsl in person so I'm not sure how he'll end up.

One shallow run in the NCAA isn't going to turn us into a recruiting juggernaut. Let us get another run or two, especially a fairly deep one, and those early targets will start to fall. Have some of you forgotten how far we had fallen?

I have a feeling this thread isn't going to go well. Gonna be lots o hand wringing about not waiting on Moore. Just gonna have to trust Fran on this one.

I was hearing that Conner's commitment was really hurting Fran on the recruiting trail for PG. Guessing Fran saw this as the best option to hold the team over til Conner comes in was Jordan.

I thought about that too, deano, that Conner might be affecting other kids. And probably rightly so.

Re: Bohanan, I've seen just a few vids, but he reminds me of MG, but a much better shooter. We definitely are stocking up on shooters.

One shallow run in the NCAA isn't going to turn us into a recruiting juggernaut. Let us get another run or two, especially a fairly deep one, and those early targets will start to fall. Have some of you forgotten how far we had fallen?

Lol, well you know it's ugly when the head coach buries his head in his hands while sitting on the bench. I'll never forget that image of Lick doing that. I've fallen andI can't get up........ But dad it's Iowa...... I know son, even if I totally destroy the program there I will make more in four years than I would at Butler in fifteen.

What the hell is wrong with everyone. This kid was offered at least a few schollies by other schools...unlike our entire starting linebacker crew. Just saying.

I thought about that too, deano, that Conner might be affecting other kids. And probably rightly so.

Re: Bohanan, I've seen just a few vids, but he reminds me of MG, but a much better shooter. We definitely are stocking up on shooters.

The way I see it is MG is more athletic but his athleticism hasn't really made a big difference so far. It's not like he's getting to the rim at will. Mike hasn't shot the ball well and he's never been a good passer. I think we might be ok trading some athleticism for better passing and shooting.

Hindsight says we would have been lucky to have any of his brothers on our team. I say eff needing hindsight this time.

Edit... I forgot to say MG was good enough to start on 2 (hopefully 3) ncaa tournament teams. I don't want my post to sound like I'm bashing him.

I wonder if Gordy has deep sixed his Wisconsin gear yet? It's going to be strange for the older bros to be cheering for Iowa.

I'd be real worried if he wasn't a better shooter than him, hard to be much worse.

I hate to say it, but this long into Fran's tenure, it's kind of sad that he is bringing in mid major recruiting classes consisting of non-elite Iowa boys when the rest of the conference is loading up with studs. Fran absolutely needs to land a difference maker who can create his own shot with his last scholly. Preferably somebody that a school other than UNI wanted. The role players he brought it will be good at doing just that...being role players.

Well...I think Fran is doing just fine...thanks.

The way I see it is MG is more athletic but his athleticism hasn't really made a big difference so far. It's not like he's getting to the rim at will. Mike hasn't shot the ball well and he's never been a good passer. I think we might be ok trading some athleticism for better passing and shooting.

Hindsight says we would have been lucky to have any of his brothers on our team. I say eff needing hindsight this time.

Edit... I forgot to say MG was good enough to start on 2 (hopefully 3) ncaa tournament teams. I don't want my post to sound like I'm bashing him.

I think people might be singing a different tune after MG leaves. I think they will be saying, you know..."that dude could play defense"...and "well, Gesell wouldn't turn it over this much"...and..."I don't remember having this much trouble getting into our half court sets when MG was handling the ball". The B10 has some great defensive guards and MG handles it and doesn't turn it over. Has his shot been inconsistent, yes, but he is really freaking solid in all other areas. The never been a good passer kind of confuses me too? The guy was one of the leaders in turnover to assist ratio...

So the kid can shoot right? Can't have enough of those something Iowa has sorely lacked since they competed and won some BTT titles.

Fall back or not, I don't care really, he is a Hawkeye. Iowa is recruting well and if you think Iowa will compete for top 15 classes in recruiting anytime soon, it's not happening.

Fran has specific needs and the more he puts the roster together, he is building a roster of shooters and guys who can get to the rim. If you don't have a balance of that or a lack of both as Iowa has had for well a long time. It takes time to build...direction of program is great, keep it going.

His brothers have all turned out to be solid players. Kind of like the ol' Korver clan. A bunch of boys who can all ball and shoot. For that reason alone I'm not going to complain about his commitment. He has basketball in his blood. Worst case scenario he's a shooter who comes off the bench. Best case scenario he ends up proving he has what it takes to run point in the B10. Either way he's worth giving a scholarship to even if he is a fall back.

He's one of those kids where had we not landed him he probably would have ended up at UNI and then killed us from 3 pt land down the road. That seems to be how it works so at least this way he's in the right uniform.

great post. People don't realize that shooting is a pretty important skill in basketball. If he has half the bball iq of his brothers, he will be a very solid pickup. He is a little more athletic than they are-he has a good feel for getting the defense off balance and a quick trigger. These are the type of guys who killed Iowa in the past.

I've watched all of Gordy's boys play throughout their high school careers. I think this one is the best of the bunch. Time will tell but I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this pick. Well... maybe iowalaw but he wouldn't be happy with the second coming of Magic Johnson. He'd **** and moan that we didn't get Kareem, too.

Interesting - the same people applauding our back to back NCAA tourney qualifying Big 10 school offering a no star 5'11, 170lb Iowa boy, are the ones who said they were glad we didn't offer no star, 6'1, 180lb Iowa boy Wyatt Lohaus because he was a mid major talent who didn't belong at a Big 10 school.

Meanwhile, UNI already picked up a point guard this year higher rated than Bohanan, a kid named Juwan McCloud. I, for one, am rooting for Bohanan to succeed. But dear lord, the rest of the Big 10 (and Iowa State) seem to pick up at least one 4 star blue chipper every year or two. Why can't fran? Why are we offering fall back recruits so early in the game? The 2015 kids haven't even seen the court yet, and we are filling our 2016 class with kids that would commit to Iowa 6 months from now if we offered.

Latest posts