Blow up the Cubs

And this is why you never know in baseball ...

Cubs beat Yanks 3-1 today with Doug Davis (0-5) starting the game and giving up 1 run in 7+ innings. Who would have guessed that?

4 of the last 5 against GOOD competiton, crazy!. Athough Marshall gave up the run in the 8th. (It was charged to Davis, but Marshall gave up the hit to Texieria). GO CUBS GO!

I agree on Pena. I wasn't sure what he would produce this year, and so far we're getting about what I expected - low .200's average with a few HR. And true, Pena does at least get on base some. But even if he was a complete flop, you're only obligated for one year. A 3-4+ year contract and I would have been steamed at that signing, though.

Hendry has made some horrible moves since he inflated the payroll, though. Letting Mark DeRosa go and picking up Milton Bradley is the one that comes to mind first.

I also was never really sure if I agreed with trading Ted Lilly.. No, he's not a franchise player, but he was pretty consistently solid and he didn't miss starts or start dugout brawls. For those reasons, he was one of the most valuable pitchers the Cubs had on the team IMO and I wasn't sure I wanted to see him go just yet. That said, I haven't followed Lilly since he left, so am not sure if he's still productive or not.

Totally agree on DeRosa. He was an extremely solid, versatile player. I mean he played what, 5 or 6 different positions for us during his stint in Chicago? And was a solid hitter to boot? Why we let him walk to begin with is beyond me, much less for Bradley.

OK ok ok, I'll admit Grabow is way overpaid, but Samardjaza isn't.

Hendry is pretty awful. I don't mind the contracs to Z, Pena, or even Fukudome, but the Soriano contract has to be one of the worst in the history of baseball.

Somebody was going to overpay for Soriano, unfortunately it was the Cubs.

Totally agree on DeRosa. He was an extremely solid, versatile player. I mean he played what, 5 or 6 different positions for us during his stint in Chicago? And was a solid hitter to boot? Why we let him walk to begin with is beyond me, much less for Bradley.

He was traded to the Indians for some minor leaguers to make room financially for the Bradley deal. I liked Derosa, but I will say one thing, he had one good year for the Indians and has fallen apart, he's always injured. He had 1 more year on his deal, would have had a good year and Hendry would've given him a 6 year 120 million dollar deal ;), so it probably worked out for the best, though at the time it was a stupid deal. (The Bradley part of the deal will always be stupid)

He was traded to the Indians for some minor leaguers to make room financially for the Bradley deal. I liked Derosa, but I will say one thing, he had one good year for the Indians and has fallen apart, he's always injured. He had 1 more year on his deal, would have had a good year and Hendry would've given him a 6 year 120 million dollar deal ;), so it probably worked out for the best, though at the time it was a stupid deal. (The Bradley part of the deal will always be stupid)

You guys realize one of the prospects we got in that deal was Chris Archer, one of the top prospects in the Cubs system until he was traded for Garza. Chicago got the better end of that deal, and it wasn't close. Is Derosa still in the League?

You guys realize one of the prospects we got in that deal was Chris Archer, one of the top prospects in the Cubs system until he was traded for Garza. Chicago got the better end of that deal, and it wasn't close. Is Derosa still in the League?

I agree with you that the deal was great and I think that's what I said. I just really hated the part where we got Bradley.

Does he have an arm like his daddy?

Reading that link makes me feel old. The fathers of some these guys seem like they just got done playing....like yesterday. Man, where has the time gone?
Right there with you. I feel ancient when I see guys like this getting picked. Did you see Tom Gordon's kid playing for the Dodgers now? Gordon just retired a little while back.

Yep, DeRosa is on the Giants roster (surprise! on the DL).

Somebody was going to overpay for Soriano, unfortunately it was the Cubs.

What the Cubs gave Soriano in 2007 was what the market (at the time) said he was worth. It hasn't exactly worked out, but 2007 marked the first time in my life that the Cubs signed the premier free agent on the market.

Two teams are going to overpay for Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder next year.

Does he have an arm like his daddy?

Reading that link makes me feel old. The fathers of some these guys seem like they just got done playing....like yesterday. Man, where has the time gone?
OK. Another one. I just saw Michael Yastrzemski (sp?) in a highlight if the College World Series. He is playing for Vanderbilt. He is the grandson of Carl. He was actually drafted by the Red Sox in 2009.

Sox draft Michael Yastrzemski - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

What the Cubs gave Soriano in 2007 was what the market (at the time) said he was worth. It hasn't exactly worked out, but 2007 marked the first time in my life that the Cubs signed the premier free agent on the market.

Two teams are going to overpay for Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder next year.

Andre Dawson

Technically, I guess that doesn't count Dawson offered the Cubs a blank contract and told them to put the numbers in. I sometimes forget some of you youngsters were born in the late 80's, early 90's so Soriano would be the premier Cub free agent signee of your lifetime.;)

You are correct about the Cubs paying market value for Soriano at the time.

Andre Dawson

Technically, I guess that doesn't count Dawson offered the Cubs a blank contract and told them to put the numbers in. I sometimes forget some of you youngsters were born in the late 80's, early 90's so Soriano would be the premier Cub free agent signee of your lifetime.;)

Seems like the Cubs like paying top dollar for guys whose production drastically drops off once they are in a Cubs jersey.

Soriano was a 35-40+ HR guy before he was a Cub. He's only hit 30 HR once in 4 years since. Doesn't look like he's going to do it this year either unless he gets hot.

Moises Alou is another guy - he hit .355 and .331 the two years before the Cubs signed him, and never hit .300 again.. until he left the Cubs. Although in 2004 he did hit 39 HR.

Don't know why guys seem to stop hitting once the Cubs sign them, especially since Wrigley his a hitter-friendly park, but it seems to be a trend.

Soriano is a good player, but not sure he was a $19 million per year player IMO. One thing's for sure - he certainly isn't worth that now.

Last edited:
Other than the money, the issue with Soriano deal was they wanted to bring him into be the centerfielder. he only played OF for a year or 2 and they wanted him to be a CF. We know what kind of fielder he is and that was bad as well.

Other than the money, the issue with Soriano deal was they wanted to bring him into be the centerfielder. he only played OF for a year or 2 and they wanted him to be a CF. We know what kind of fielder he is and that was bad as well.

I also never cared for his insistence on hitting leadoff.

You're a 25-30 homer hitter, and you're only getting 70-80 RBI? And you strike out a lot because you swing at just about everything? And almost never walk? Yep, you're bonafide leadoff material :rolleyes:

Andre Dawson

I was born in 1980. The signing of Soriano was the first time in my lifetime that the Cubs made a serious offer to - and landed - the premier free agent on the market.

It wasn't a coincidence that it happened right after McPhail resigned.

Ok, the cubs won 10-9 last night after coming back from 8-0. That to avoid a 4 game sweep by the Nats. Now, I still think the Cubs need to blow up as they are a whopping 17 games under .500 and 11 back of the Crew. Now, I'm going to pose this question since the Cubs are out of it.

From now on can we stop promoting Rodrigo Lopez and Ramon Ortiz and see if Coleman or another prospect can possibly develop as a 5th starter. Look to the future. Please

Ok, the cubs won 10-9 last night after coming back from 8-0. That to avoid a 4 game sweep by the Nats. Now, I still think the Cubs need to blow up as they are a whopping 17 games under .500 and 11 back of the Crew. Now, I'm going to pose this question since the Cubs are out of it.

From now on can we stop promoting Rodrigo Lopez and Ramon Ortiz and see if Coleman or another prospect can possibly develop as a 5th starter. Look to the future. Please
Agreed. It's too bad that Cashner may not be able to start when he returns and he may not be able to come back until September 1.

Chicago Cubs starter Andrew Cashner could make his return in September - ESPN Chicago

Is it more maddening that the Cubs lost the first 3 games the way they did or that they did come back from an 8 run deficit to avoid the sweep? I can't decide! Maybe both. :)

Agreed. It's too bad that Cashner may not be able to start when he returns and he may not be able to come back until September 1.

Chicago Cubs starter Andrew Cashner could make his return in September - ESPN Chicago

Is it more maddening that the Cubs lost the first 3 games the way they did or that they did come back from an 8 run deficit to avoid the sweep? I can't decide! Maybe both. :)

There is a combination of how they won/lost that kills me.

I have no idea what the cubs are going to do at the corners next year, but I like Pena and think he could be cheaper next year. As for Rammy, he's doing well now, but he's so streaky. I think it is time to move on, and he'll want way too much money.

My concern with Cashner is if he is on the same path as Wood. Destined to be a reliever. i hope not, but let's just hope he can come back and be something to this pitching staff

Latest posts