Blow up the Cubs

Agreed. It's too bad that Cashner may not be able to start when he returns and he may not be able to come back until September 1.

Chicago Cubs starter Andrew Cashner could make his return in September - ESPN Chicago

Is it more maddening that the Cubs lost the first 3 games the way they did or that they did come back from an 8 run deficit to avoid the sweep? I can't decide! Maybe both. :)

Holy crap I had basically forgot about Cashner. I really hope this guy can get his shoulder issue under control. He was dominant that first outing and I think he has the tools to become an effective MLB starter. If he keeps having shoulder problems though I don't feel so good for his future.

Holy crap I had basically forgot about Cashner. I really hope this guy can get his shoulder issue under control. He was dominant that first outing and I think he has the tools to become an effective MLB starter. If he keeps having shoulder problems though I don't feel so good for his future.
Yes, I agree on Cashner. They are being extremely cautious with him for good reason. I hope he can be healthy and get a change at being a starter for some years. Is it too much for Cub fans to wish for something positive? :confused:

There is a combination of how they won/lost that kills me.

I have no idea what the cubs are going to do at the corners next year, but I like Pena and think he could be cheaper next year. As for Rammy, he's doing well now, but he's so streaky. I think it is time to move on, and he'll want way too much money.

My concern with Cashner is if he is on the same path as Wood. Destined to be a reliever. i hope not, but let's just hope he can come back and be something to this pitching staff
Agreed those will be tough decisions. As the Chicago media clammers for Fielder and Pujols to be signed, Pena is up 19 HRs and providing exactly what the Cubs paid for (low batting average, power, good D). He's not great, but is that the Cubs biggest issue?

I also still wonder if the Cubs think they can get something for Ramirez at the trade deadline.

Agreed those will be tough decisions. As the Chicago media clammers for Fielder and Pujols to be signed, Pena is up 19 HRs and providing exactly what the Cubs paid for (low batting average, power, good D). He's not great, but is that the Cubs biggest issue?

I also still wonder if the Cubs think they can get something for Ramirez at the trade deadline.

I think Pena had a horrible first month, and if you give him another year or two then the average and HR total will be better as well.

As for Ramirez he said he will not waive his no-trade clause no matter what.

Soriano and Z said they would, but who wants their contracts

There is a combination of how they won/lost that kills me.

I have no idea what the cubs are going to do at the corners next year, but I like Pena and think he could be cheaper next year. As for Rammy, he's doing well now, but he's so streaky. I think it is time to move on, and he'll want way too much money.

My concern with Cashner is if he is on the same path as Wood. Destined to be a reliever. i hope not, but let's just hope he can come back and be something to this pitching staff

Two things.

Pena will not be cheaper next year. He's going to hit close to 40 home runs and drive in over a 100, and he will hit .230-.250. He got 10 million for one year after he hit .196 with 28HR and 80RBI. Players don't get cheaper as they exceed previous years numbers.

Pena is a very good offensive first baseman (ignore the batting average look at OPS) and he's outstanding defensively. Don't be suprised to see the Cubs offer him a 2-3 year deal.

Rami is hardly streaky. In fact if you take out the first half of last year he's been one of the most consistent offensive players in baseball over the last 8 years (when healthy). Even early this year when he wasn't driving the ball out of the ball park he still hit near .300.

Unless the Cubs do something stupid like spend 30 million a year on Poo-holes I'd fully expect the infield in 2012 to look exactly like it did last night, Rami, Castro, Barney, Pena.

I think Pena had a horrible first month, and if you give him another year or two then the average and HR total will be better as well.

Agreed on all aspects. Pena has warmed up, but I don't want to go crazy and expect more than what he really is. I do think he would be fine if they left him there for the near future.

I know what Ramirez has said, but I would still see what is possible with Ramirez. I know what he said, but if he would be moved to a contender and negotiate something going forward, you never know. I don't see much of a chance of this happening, but I think there's a very (very) small chance.

The 2 albatrosses (sp?) will be extremely difficult to move. I assume the Cubs would still pay a large portion of their salaries if they are moved. I still hold on to the possibility remembering someone took Milton Bradley off of their hands. :)

Soriano will be a Yankee (or somewhere else in the AL) by the end of the year. The Cubs will have to agree to pay for a chunk (maybe up to half) of his contract, but he will be moved.

Two things.

Pena will not be cheaper next year. He's going to hit close to 40 home runs and drive in over a 100, and he will hit .230-.250. He got 10 million for one year after he hit .196 with 28HR and 80RBI. Players don't get cheaper as they exceed previous years numbers.

Pena is a very good offensive first baseman (ignore the batting average look at OPS) and he's outstanding defensively. Don't be suprised to see the Cubs offer him a 2-3 year deal.

Rami is hardly streaky. In fact if you take out the first half of last year he's been one of the most consistent offensive players in baseball over the last 8 years (when healthy). Even early this year when he wasn't driving the ball out of the ball park he still hit near .300.

Unless the Cubs do something stupid like spend 30 million a year on Poo-holes I'd fully expect the infield in 2012 to look exactly like it did last night, Rami, Castro, Barney, Pena.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think Pena gets 3 years for 30 mil. maybe 24 for 3 years (which is cheaper). He's just not going to get that with Pujols and Prince out there.

Also, I agree with you on Rami, I meant streaky power hitter. Oh and I don't think he is on the team next year, I agree with your other three.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think Pena gets 3 years for 30 mil. maybe 24 for 3 years (which is cheaper). He's just not going to get that with Pujols and Prince out there.

Also, I agree with you on Rami, I meant streaky power hitter. Oh and I don't think he is on the team next year, I agree with your other three.

The problem with Rami leaving is they don't have anyone else to play 3rd. Vitters isn't even close to being ready offensively let alone devensively (17 errors in only 70 games) and the two guys at 3b in Des Moines are career minor leaguers.

I don't know of any long term options in the FA market next year either.

Bottom line with Rami he's got a 1 year club option for 17million. That's actually not a bad price considering his production and history and it's not a bad risk either as it's only a one year deal. He's only 33 so it's realistic to think he's got 2-3 more solid production years left.

Regarding Pena I think 3 for 30 is a pretty good target for Pena. Yes he's second tier but you gotta realize the tier one guys are going to be commanding 20+ million per year.

The Cubs are actually not in terrible shape. They have a solid infield nucleus, have a dependable guy in center, and a solid catcher. If they can ditch Soriano at the end of this year they need to look for a couple of outfielders and they need to bolster depth in the rotation.

Last edited:
move castro to 3B, barney to SS, and put dewitt at 2B. baker can then platoon with both Pena at 1B and Dewitt at 2B. or put dewitt at 3B.

move castro to 3B, barney to SS, and put dewitt at 2B. baker can then platoon with both Pena at 1B and Dewitt at 2B. or put dewitt at 3B.

Castro isn't going to 3b, he's got too much range to waste there. If he moves he's going to 2b although my guess is hes staying put. It takes time to develop defensively at SS and he's still really young. If he's still struggling defensively by the AS break next year then you consider a move.

The Cubs have serious issues. For starters, they are 28th in the baseball in ERA (4.55.) So first and foremost, this needs to be addressed before next season. I know there has been plenty of injury, but the rotation is ugly right now. The Cubs actually have moved up to 16th in run scored, but that hasn't translated into extra wins. The good thing is that they are #4 in baseball in hits. This means they are getting on base. But it also means they are awful with RISP. The Cubs need that one guy in the lineup everyone fears to go along with Rammy (the guy Soriano used to be maybe?) If we were to add someone like Prince, and maybe another solid power guy in the outfield, their would be a lot of promise for the offense. Pitching......well that's a whole other story. With pitching there is always more demand than supply.

the cubs have 3 decent starters. they need wells to get back healthy and find one more guy with consistency. this year is just a cluster**** of injuries and bad timing.

im not sold on castro at SS long term. hes is going to pack on muscle and weight and he is already a lot bigger than last year. hes only 21. his range is fine now but not elite. i think hes barely in the top 1/3 for MLB.

im not sold on castro at SS long term. hes is going to pack on muscle and weight and he is already a lot bigger than last year. hes only 21. his range is fine now but not elite. i think hes barely in the top 1/3 for MLB.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. After a quick google search he is listed as 6' 190 (not sure how accurate that is).....at 21 he has a lot of time to grow and I think he will out grow the SS position.

Latest posts