BJ Lowery injury rumor

I think it is unfair to judge Castillo so harshly because of a few mistakes he made last year. The staff must feel confident enough in him to keep Hyde at safety, and lets not forget that he was ahead of Lowery on the depth chart. So I don't know how Lowery being out for a month all of the sudden makes this years defense one of the worst under Ferentz.

And you've had so much time to make judgements based on his play as a sophmore? The guys only entering his junior year, of course he hasn't proved he's a Big Ten level CB yet. I absolutely hate when underclassmen are ridiculed for not producing in limited playing time. How many times did we hear the same thing from people about Hyde last year, and last I knew he's become a pretty popular guy this year. Why can't we just let them develop as underclassmen and then form an opinion.

Keep in mind these 2 cats say things like this regularly.....and then hang on trying to call you out later. Its almost like their excited when a guy doesn't work out. Tough way to live....

Chad

I think it is unfair to judge Castillo so harshly because of a few mistakes he made last year. The staff must feel confident enough in him to keep Hyde at safety, and lets not forget that he was ahead of Lowery on the depth chart. So I don't know how Lowery being out for a month all of the sudden makes this years defense one of the worst under Ferentz.

Well heres' why David......

These super star talent evaluators are the same ones who have continually and loudly lamented KF’s recruiting over the years…

They are the same who said Humpal wasn’t a very good athlete and no chance Greenwood would even get a chance to play in the NFL and, and, and…..

44 Iowa kids on Camp rosters later, it seems Iowa’s staff is one of the very, very BEST at recruiting talent and putting the right kids on the field. These other cats, well they proved they are the very best at calling kids out and missing reality.

Chad

Keep in mind these 2 cats say things like this regularly.....and then hang on trying to call you out later. Its almost like their excited when a guy doesn't work out. Tough way to live....

chad you are coming off very small in this ^ post.

I'm almost certain Castillo got a start and decent minutes a couple seasons ago...and looked like the second coming of Adam Shada - and many other young IA CB's, playing w/ a massive cushion, giving up everything short and underneath, getting nickel and dimed down the field. Castillo was roasted on Scout after that performance, and while it may have been unfair at the time considering his experience, it wasn't necessarily untrue. Last season I thought he was light years better than he was as a RS freshman, but I didn't really see much of him (which could be why I thought he was better). Hopefully he's ready to step up, as it seems he'll be starting in 2.5 wks. I'll take a wait and see approach on judging him, and I have a hard time believing he isn't better w/ almost 2 more years experience.

None. Everyone on this site knew Hyde had the ability from the first day he stepped on campus to be a big time player and the fact he had surpassed Castillo by the end of his first year only reinforced that. If you claim otherwise you are either making it up or you spent most of the last two seasons too drunk to remember.

Really I don't remember everyone loving him, especially the first few games of last year. There are always people that nitpick everything. I think 2 years ago when Castillo started for Prater it was rough, or last year whenever it was, but hopefully he's gotten better. Why assume that he hasn't. let's hope he has for the sake of the team.

chad you are coming off very small in this ^ post.

Well I’m a big proponent of looking in the mirror and admitting when someone makes a valid point and quite frankly that’s the only thing you could likely say that would convict me.

You are 100% right…… maybe your just smart enuff to get that this would turn me around or maybe you are genuinely trying to get along and help me out. All the same, I need to know when to stay away and this was one of those times. I get frustrated by this stuff at times and I think Castillo will be fine. All the same I can control me and I did NOT…

Thanx…

Chad

Well I’m a big proponent of looking in the mirror and admitting when someone makes a valid point and quite frankly that’s the only thing you could likely say that would convict me.

You are 100% right…… maybe your just smart enuff to get that this would turn me around or maybe you are genuinely trying to get along and help me out. All the same, I need to know when to stay away and this was one of those times. I get frustrated by this stuff at times and I think Castillo will be fine. All the same I can control me and I did NOT…

Thanx…

Chad

chad - the people who are negative nellies on players, say that a player isn't proven, say that a player playing = to having the worst defense since -06 are people worthy of laughing at. i wouldn't waste my time with those in this thread who do so. it's almost like their livlihood depends on a student athletes' performance on the field. it seems that castillo is the new shada. if people can't biatch, then i think they somehow don't feel good about themselves, or they need to check back to the fat thread.

W…… maybe your just smart enuff to get that this would turn me around or maybe you are genuinely trying to get along and help me out. All the same, I need to know when to stay away and this was one of those times. I get frustrated by this stuff at times and I think Castillo will be fine. All the same I can control me and I did NOT…

chad let's just consider my previous post to you as an intervention.

As far as Castillo, I'm rooting for him and I certainly hope he can perform to the level he is going to be needed this year but so far at Iowa he has not, and that especially includes his last performance which was at TCF stadium filling in for an injured Shaun Prater.

and our last real memory of vandenberg was against minnesota and that was pretty ugly if i remember correctly. yet 99% of the board seems to think he will be pretty solid

chad let's just consider my previous post to you as an intervention.

As far as Castillo, I'm rooting for him and I certainly hope he can perform to the level he is going to be needed this year but so far at Iowa he has not, and that especially includes his last performance which was at TCF stadium filling in for an injured Shaun Prater.

2 things…..

Number one Adam Shada was NOT that bad, he was likely the least capable of the KF era, but he wasn’t giving up long Tds every other play.

2nd Castillo is better than Shada and quite a bit faster than I think even Homer thinks. I won’t swear to it, but I I’d wager he runs in the high 4.5’s…I’ve been wrong before though, as you know……:D

Chad

Last edited:
Just remember after 3 years everyone thought Fletcher was terrible, but he had a heck of a senior season and is an NFL starter.

One other thing worth saying….I have the utmost confidence that we have enuff quality DB’s that the staff will get the right kids out there as we progress. As many DB’s as they have put in the NFL I just don’t get the feeling that we won’t have a capable guy back there.

Chad

My neighbor's parents are the host family for BJ, I just talked to my neighbor and he talked to BJ last night and he has a broken wrist and will have surgery tomorrow. Out at least a month and if things don't go well, a redshirt season is possible.

My neighbor's parents are the host family for BJ, I just talked to my neighbor and he talked to BJ last night and he has a broken wrist and will have surgery tomorrow. Out at least a month and if things don't go well, a redshirt season is possible.

Thanks for the update.....I imagine this moves Torrey Campbell to the front of the no-redshirt line. We will still be fine.....

Chad

I think the secondary is going to be as good as the safeties. In Iowa's scheme, a lesser experienced corner is OK...QB's still have to attack that perfectly multiple times each possession, and most just can't do it. Prater has the other side locked down...you can cheat a little free help towards a less experienced player.

That said, I think Greg Castillo is going to be a salty player for Iowa this year, and I think he will look much better.

Can't afford any more injuries back there...but I think Iowa can withstand this. Might hurt a bit in nickel situations to start with.

I think Bernstine will surprise as the nickel (if he doesn't start, even then there's Sleeper and Miller) since he's a mix of safety and corner, so I'm not too worried about that even, but more injuries would not be good.

sucks. teams will go after Castillo hard. this will likely be the worst defense we have had since 06.

Well since the last 4 years, the D has been OUTSTANDING on a national scale, that only stands to reason, doesn't it?

Seriously, kind of a dumb comment.

Latest posts