BJ Lowery injury rumor

Sort of, but why is someone who states based on fact that Castillo has not looked good up to this point in his career classified as "dumb and argumentative," but when someone predicts Castillo to have a "salty" year it's considered ok? I'm sure you will come back with the underclassmen argument or coaching track record argument which is fine, but it doesn't disprove the other side.

Iowa's CB play over the last decade has been a mixed back. Jovon was solid, but Allen was a liability. DJ Johnson & Allen in 2002 were the weak links of that great defense, but the front seven helped out. Bradley Fletcher didn't do much until his senior year (happens a lot at Iowa actually)

Iowa has had some good corners come through the program in the last three or four years...Fletch's senior year, Spievey probably the best CB of the Ferentz era, Prater is probably going to be the second best.

Having a guy like Prater on one side really helps out with inexperience on the other...if a team wants to pick on one side, you can roll some safety help that way...and leave Prater on an island more often.

But in Iowa's defensive system you must have a very heady free safety...its the lynch pin of the secondary. There is a lot of grief being expressed over a one-month injury to a guy that has been a backup all August. As long as they stay healthy for a month, things will be alright.

Iowa's CB play over the last decade has been a mixed back. Jovon was solid, but Allen was a liability. DJ Johnson & Allen in 2002 were the weak links of that great defense, but the front seven helped out. Bradley Fletcher didn't do much until his senior year (happens a lot at Iowa actually)

Iowa has had some good corners come through the program in the last three or four years...Fletch's senior year, Spievey probably the best CB of the Ferentz era, Prater is probably going to be the second best.

Having a guy like Prater on one side really helps out with inexperience on the other...if a team wants to pick on one side, you can roll some safety help that way...and leave Prater on an island more often.

But in Iowa's defensive system you must have a very heady free safety...its the lynch pin of the secondary. There is a lot of grief being expressed over a one-month injury to a guy that has been a backup all August. As long as they stay healthy for a month, things will be alright.

Iowa has a good track record with corners improving as they mature, but I can certainly understand the camp that is concerned with Castillo as well.

Having no idea.... are the Iowa linebackers exceptional in pass coverage?

When healthy, Nielsen is really solid in pass coverage. On the other side, Kirksey and Hitchens are competing for the spot; they both are smaller, quicker LBs than Iowa has had in the past, and that will hopefully translate to better pass protection than we've had in the past.

Im confused. You say the Safety position is the key, yet we have no returning starters or experience in general returning at that position. Combine that with a questionable D-line that will probably not generate pressure like previous years, and we are not supposed to be concerned with Castillo based on his previous poor play?

That’s true but I’ve never really “got†that argument…..people should be dumb AND argumentative with no real basis for their irrational rants just so message board world won’t be so boring?!?!

Who knows….Maybe it’s just me who is too stupid to figure that out.

Chad

You're not stupid. You know those people who sit in the nose bleed seats and from 100 feet above the crowd they poor Coca Cola on the people below because that's their way of dealing with boredom - well they also flock to the internet to let the rest of us know that the reason they engage in those 7th grade behaviors is because ruining everyone else's positive vibe is how they get their rocks off.

The above statement has nothing to do with Castillo. None of us know how the position battles will shake out over the next 30 or so days. Nor do we know which Iowa team will show up this fall. That's why we get excited each year, we don't know how the team will perform once the bullets start to fly.

Im confused. You say the Safety position is the key, yet we have no returning starters or experience in general returning at that position. Combine that with a questionable D-line that will probably not generate pressure like previous years, and we are not supposed to be concerned with Castillo based on his previous poor play?

I think people are pretty confident in Hyde's ability to take over at FS. He's a ballhawk, and has all the tools necessary for the job. And while he hasn't played at FS for the Hawks before, he DOES know the defense, and therefore has the necessary understanding of the scheme to play back there, where someone with less game reps doesn't.

I think I meant 07, but anyway, I feel very confident that it will be our worst Defense since than, and that's not all on Castillo....huge question marks on the DL....but does anyone remember actually watching Castillo play? Doesn't look like he belongs in the B10, got abused by Minnesota...MINNESOTA.

And yes, I know the coaches are never wrong...

signed,
JC, Adam Shada, Troy Johnson, and anyone who started in front of DJK

No ... you're right. You mean the '06 D. The '06 D was on the weak side. However, you have to realize WHY it was rather mediocre.

- Our top 2 playmakers on the DL, King and Iwebema, were BOTH injured. King was playing at less than 100% and Iwebema was dinged enough to not even play.

- Paschal was continually in and out due to injury. Then Moylan went out too. Heck, even Wilson got dinged too! In other words, our oh-so important safety spot was mimicking a trauma unit.

- Humpal was dinged and thus, a step slow throughout the entire season. Furthermore, he was playing the LEO spot ... and that wasn't "natural" for him since he was more of an ILB-type. It's also important to note that he was a first-year starter.

- Klink was tackling machine ... but he was still a first year starter AND he wasn't terribly good in coverage at that juncture in his career.

- Miles was an awfully solid LB for Iowa ... but throughout his career, he wasn't one of our better tacklers. That's not so good of an attribute for an Iowa LB.

- Godfrey was in his first year starting at CB ... and it showed. He wasn't so good. In fact, his first really good game was our bowl game against Texas.

- Shada was okay ... however, his level of play plateaued too early. Furthermore, he got dinged a little bit ... and Fletch came in as a back-up. In '06, Fletcher's play was pretty terrible.

The first thing to notice is that Iowa's D got hit REALLY bad by the injury bug that year. And secondly, we had newbies and/or personnel issues at the two "QB" positions of the D (FS and MIKE LB). Not surprisingly, Iowa's D had its struggles that year.

Anyhow, since the '01 season, I'd say that the '06 D was EASILY Iowa's worst. However, I'd also say that there were pretty obvious reasons for it.

I don't anticipate nearly the same issues for the '11 D.

Latest posts