Biggest hopes with new offensive coaches

Why does anyone bother to reply to Homer? Yeah, we get it, you hate Ferentz. Ignore the troll, maybe he'll go away.

Why does anyone bother to reply to Homer? Yeah, we get it, you hate Ferentz. Ignore the troll, maybe he'll go away.
You probably hated Davis. You're probably a troll too (that's your definition of troll) . Unless you're thinking hating on one Iowa coach is OK but not KF? What is KF to you? I mean, what's more important? KF or Iowa?

There is no mystery about KF's psyche. He knows very little about football except for the O-Line yet he wants firm control and final say over every aspect of Iowa football. If you'd ask me about KF's expertise other than the O-Line, I'd suggest a topic not as related to football: control. Look control isn't bad if one knows what they're doing. Like Belichick, for example. But KF, well, he controls those mediocre results from the input given to him doesn't he?

"He knows very little about football except for the O-Line"

Homer, this could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen on HawkeyeNation. Do you really mean this?

There is no mystery about KF's psyche. He knows very little about football except for the O-Line yet he wants firm control and final say over every aspect of Iowa football. If you'd ask me about KF's expertise other than the O-Line, I'd suggest a topic not as related to football - control.
Something you two have it common it seems

Homer, this could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen on HawkeyeNation. Do you really mean this?
I mean, look who you're talking to, it's not that surprising.

What kind of relations would an NFL assistant have built to help with recruiting HS kids? I doubt he had the time or the need to buddy up with any big HS programs down there. This does very little to help our recruiting.
I guess, I was thinking that he would build relationships with people in the area and would be able to get info that way, but you're probably right. Just being optimistic, I guess.

Yes, I mean it.

More on my unequal comparison KF to Belichick, head coach of the NE Patriots: KF would've continued to pound the running game of L. Blount, running back number 29 of the NE Patriots, in the Super Bowl. No fourteen passes to the running back White (who would've sat on the bench in KF's offense because he was too light, in KF's opinion, to take the pounding of numerous running plays. Was able to pickup blitzers, though). Belichick knows what he's doing and will do whatever to win games. KF is too steeped in tradition (of 20 years ago), too unable to think out of the box to win games.

Why can't Iowa get a coach like Belichick to coach Iowa? Is it the athletic director? Financial boosters of Iowa? The fans? All three? We pay our coach pretty handsomely. There is a disconnect somewhere.

Last edited:
I would like to see a return to a more up-tempo offense like was run in 2013 under Rudock. That year Iowa offense went from running about 65 plays to 80 plays a game.

This should not be confused with the no-huddle offense that was run in 2011 with JVB. I want a combo of huddling and no-huddle

IOWA' s goal should be to put pressure on defenses by dictating the pace of the game, much like New England does to its opponents. When an offense pushes the pace, it prevents the defense from making adjustments and substitutions. Combined with versatile players, running the occasional no-huddle would give Iowa a significant edge against most defenses.

The caveat is that the offense must execute soundly and the quarterback must have the mental aptitude to force the defense into mistakes. Without those two elements, a quick tempo would only result in quick-ending drives.

Tempo is not necessarily an indicator of how productive an offense will be -- though it's no coincidence that many of the top offenses operate at the quickest pace.

Last edited:
One only has to look to the missed chances on recruiting in just the last class, for example (there are dozens more misses in recruiting and other areas of Iowa football), to see the missed opportunities at Iowa.

Didn't get a couple of recruits we wanted to Kirk's ruined Iowa football huh? Every coach and team has misses and guys that got away so, by your definition, all coaches have ruined their respective teams.

I could feel myself getting dumber as I was reading this thread. De-emphazize your top returning offensive player...one who single handedly won a few ball games for you...yeah...that's going to happen. Just so we are clear...our big back last year missed more blitz pick up than our little back. They were both terrible, but it calls into question the whole KF wants a big back to break tackles and block crap. Right...so let's not play the guy who makes guys miss completely and makes incredible play after incredible play. All kinds of stupid.

Didn't get a couple of recruits we wanted to Kirk's ruined Iowa football huh? Every coach and team has misses and guys that got away so, by your definition, all coaches have ruined their respective teams.
How many quality WR recruits did we get, anyway? How about missed out on all quality WR recruits? Got the leftovers from other programs? Forget about getting quality cornerbacks.

They ain't never coming to Iowa. It's Iowa's system that prevents them from coming.

How many quality WR recruits did we get, anyway? How about missed out on all quality WR recruits? Got the leftovers from other programs? Forget about getting quality cornerbacks.

They ain't never coming to Iowa. It's Iowa's system that prevents them from coming.
Why are you still hung up on the CB thing? Iowa has had pretty darn good CB play under KF and PP, yet because they're often lightly recruited guys or playing out of position it's somehow illegitimate?

Why are you still hung up on the CB thing? Iowa has had pretty darn good CB play under KF and PP, yet because they're often lightly recruited guys or playing out of position it's somehow illegitimate?
Watch how low King is drafted then get back to me. It's not King's fault. King has the athleticism. It's the system he isn't taught at Iowa.

Watch how low King is drafted then get back to me. It's not King's fault. King has the athleticism. It's the system he isn't taught at Iowa.
You mean the system that has gotten him drafted in the first place? The system that has been unquestionably the highlight of the Ferentz era?

You mean the system that has gotten him drafted in the first place? The system that has been unquestionably the highlight of the Ferentz era?
Or the, for example, highlight for every pro scout in the Senior Bowl to see of CJB throwing a TD to the Louisville receiver guarded by King in practice?

Latest posts