Biggest hopes with new offensive coaches

What kind of relations would an NFL assistant have built to help with recruiting HS kids? I doubt he had the time or the need to buddy up with any big HS programs down there. This does very little to help our recruiting.
I wonder if there will be a receivers coach at Iowa? I doubt it. KOK will have to make bonds with potential incoming recruits at QB and WR. Ah, who am I kidding? KF is going to run the show at QB and WR like he's always wanted. Better expect converted or low-evaluated high school recruits to become Iowa's next QBs and WRs.

Last edited:
This isn't a hope but a prediction. Wadley will be de-emphasized in the new offense. In KF's offense...In KOK's offense.

That's a bit of a ridiculous statement. KOK used his backs in the passing game. Wegher was a good receiver, and he would have thrown to Shawn Greene if Greene could have caught a cold. KOK was excellent at getting the most out of his offensive weapons...Greene, McNutt, DJK, Tate, etc. He may use Wadley more depending on the talent behind him. I don't get your logic...he rode his talent.

Nothing is going to change. Why do you think KF hired him back? Mainly to help tutor sonny boy so he doesn't fall on his face, but KOK won't challenge KF much on anything. KF is sneaky, and most are too naive to see it. This is a move to help Brian adjust to the OC position. The offense was average at best when he was here before, but now all of a sudden this is a great hire. This staff needs someone that can recruit, period. We don't have that, and won't until the Ferentz clan is gone. We still have no talent at receiver. That was a major need, and wasn't addressed again. More of the same.

<<Nothing is going to change>

Then WTF did you post? Can you not read, you f-ing cretin?

That's a bit of a ridiculous statement. KOK used his backs in the passing game. Wegher was a good receiver, and he would have thrown to Shawn Greene if Greene could have caught a cold. KOK was excellent at getting the most out of his offensive weapons...Greene, McNutt, DJK, Tate, etc. He may use Wadley more depending on the talent behind him. I don't get your logic...he rode his talent.

He's spot on. You chose not to understand what was said or ignore it....

What kind of relations would an NFL assistant have built to help with recruiting HS kids? I doubt he had the time or the need to buddy up with any big HS programs down there. This does very little to help our recruiting.

I am with you for the most part, but maybe he knows about a diamond in the rough or two that Iowa might be able to get their hands on. If that doesn't come to fruition in the next couple of years, then you would be 100% correct.

The 'tailback' had to be of a certain weight and be able to block any blitzers to the QB. Mark my words. That's more important to KF"s offense than speed, quickness, receiving ability or cutting ability.

KOK ran KF's preferred offense while he was OC. Things won't change. Especially after an OC that rocked KF's boat with Davis. Especially since KF has just a few goals left in coaching and Iowa fans seem satisfied with previous results..

The 'tailback' had to be of a certain weight and be able to block any blitzers to the QB. Mark my words. That's more important to KF"s offense than speed, quickness, receiving ability or cutting ability.

KOK ran KF's preferred offense while he was OC. Things won't change. Especially after an OC that rocked KF's boat with Davis. Especially since KF has just a few goals left in coaching and Iowa fans seem satisfied with previous results..

In a season in which the Hawks had another excellent, experienced back (who also happened to be a team leader) on the roster, Wadley led the team in yards from scrimmage and TDs, and he was leaned upon heavily in the highest leverage games (Michigan and bowl game as 2 clear examples). What makes you think that next year, without another experienced back on the roster, they will all of a sudden minimize his role?

If we have learned anything from the Ferentz era, it is that he will rely heavily on his older players when they have no experienced depth behind them. I am much more concerned with Wadley being overused than I am with him being underused.

In a season in which the Hawks had another excellent, experienced back (who also happened to be a team leader) on the roster, Wadley led the team in yards from scrimmage and TDs, and he was leaned upon heavily in the highest leverage games (Michigan and bowl game as 2 clear examples). What makes you think that next year, without another experienced back on the roster, they will all of a sudden minimize his role?

If we have learned anything from the Ferentz era, it is that he will rely heavily on his older players when they have no experienced depth behind them. I am much more concerned with Wadley being overused than I am with him being underused.
This is my obligatory Brandon Weigher referenced post of the day: Back on the first few months of 2010 after the great performance of Weigher in the 2010 Orange Bowl Game vs. Georgia Tech on the first few days of the year, the Iowa staff (KF) rewarded Weigher, a runner with experience albeit just one year, with the position of slot receiver. Slot receiver had very little to do in KOK's offense.

Weigher was very similar, IMO, in measurables to Wadley. Both were fast and quick. Both could catch the pass. Both were underweight by KF's standards (Weigher weighed just over 200 LBS.). Neither could block the blitzer to the QB.

I believe KF (who now is in charge of the offense, again, IMO) will do the same with Wadley as he did with Weigher. Wadley will have to 'shape up' or be relegated to the bench, or, at least, see little game action.

At least, KF won't give the starting tailback's job to some fullback like he did with M. Coker in 2010 <an incoming freshman>, right?

If these things don't happen, I'll conclude KF truly has little time left at Iowa before retirement 'cause he's allowing some other coach to coach (the OC, his son) and not be the smotherer of coaches as is his reputation.

Last edited:
This is my obligatory Brandon Weigher referenced post of the day: Back on the first few months of 2010 after the great performance of Weigher in the 2010 Orange Bowl Game vs. Georgia Tech, the Iowa staff (KF) rewarded Weigher, a runner with experience albeit just one year, with the position of slot receiver. Slot receiver had very little to do in KOK's offense.

Weigher was very similar, IMO, in measurables to Wadley. Both were fast and quick. Both were underweight by KF's standards (Weigher weighed just over 200 LBS.). Both could catch the pass. Neither could block the blitzer to the QB.

I believe KF (who now is in charge of the offense, again, IMO) will do the same with Wadley. Wadley will have to 'shape up' or be relegated to the bench, or, at least, see little game action.

At least, KF won't give the starting tailback's job to some tailback/fullback like M. Coker in 2010 <an incoming freshman>, right?

If these things don't happen, I'll conclude KF truly has little time left at Iowa before retirement 'cause he's allowing some other coach to coach (the OC, his son) and not be the smotherer of coaches I've always known KF to be.

Wegher was never, ever, ever moving to the slot. It is time to put your lying about this to rest.

https://marcmwm.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/ferentz-on-wegher/

Running back, slot receiver, safety. You’re allowed to project. The reality of the situation is Iowa recruited Wegher as a running back. Iowa coaches only ever talked about running back, Wegher said.

So, running back it is.

“They’ve only ever talked to me about running back,” Wegher said. “They’ve given me the opportunity to play running back and stay in the state. Coach (Kirk Ferentz) has told me to be ready to make an impact.”

When Wegher was MIA from Iowa camp right before the season, Hampton was suspended for week 1, Brad Rogers was being moved to fullback and Marcus Cocker had a broken clavical. Iowa's #2 running back was Paki O'Meara, but you are trying to propagate the lie that the staff was gonna move Wegher to the slot with all of that going on????

Wegher was never, ever, ever moving to the slot. It is time to put your lying about this to rest.

Running back, slot receiver, safety. You’re allowed to project. The reality of the situation is Iowa recruited Wegher as a running back. Iowa coaches only ever talked about running back, Wegher said.

So, running back it is.

“They’ve only ever talked to me about running back,” Wegher said. “They’ve given me the opportunity to play running back and stay in the state. Coach (Kirk Ferentz) has told me to be ready to make an impact.”

When Wegher was MIA from Iowa camp right before the season, Hampton was suspended for week 1, Brad Rogers was being moved to fullback and Marcus Cocker had a broken clavical. Iowa's #2 running back was Paki O'Meara, but you are trying to propagate the lie that the staff was gonna move Wegher to the slot with all of that going on????
Is that why KF gave Coker (the truck with little speed), the incoming freshman, the starting tailback position? Because KF valued speed and quickness and pass catching ability at tailback? I doubt it. Me thinks it was more tackle-breaking ability and blocking the blitzer ability.

So, running back it is.

Weigher was never going to the slot because Weigher DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO THE SLOT. Not because KF didn't want him to go to the slot.

Weigher was never going to the slot because Weigher DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO THE SLOT. Not because KF didn't want him to go to the slot.

Please link article of Wegher moving to the slot. If Wegher was moving to the slot, it would have been discussed up and down and all over in the media and on this message board.

He was never going to move to the slot, just stop that lie already.

Is that why KF gave Coker (the truck with little speed), the incoming freshman, the starting tailback position? Because KF valued speed and quickness and pass catching ability at tailback? I doubt it. Me thinks it was more tackle-breaking ability and blocking the blitzer ability.

Did you even watch football in the 2010 season? Coker got pressed into service with Hampton's, then Robinson's injury.

Coker was going to be a great one. Guy ran for over 600 yards as a Fr, and 1300+ yards as a So. He averaged over 5 YPC as a Fr & So. Not sure why you wanna bag on a 4* running back that showed great promise.

Did you even watch football in the 2010 season? Coker got pressed into service with Hampton's, then Robinson's injury.

Coker was going to be a great one. Guy ran for over 600 yards as a Fr, and 1300+ yards as a So. He averaged over 5 YPC as a Fr & So. Not sure why you wanna bag on a 4* running back that showed great promise.
KF's propensity is to have his tailbacks be tailbacks/fullbacks or flat out fullbacks. Be it Greene, Coker, Weisman, Robinson, etc. Of course, some 'slasher' running backs have played at Iowa under KF. For the most part, even when KF has 'slashers' and 'tanks' on his roster at running back, he chooses the 'tanks' to run the ball. I mean, those 'tanks' that can break tackles and can block the blitzer.

For those reasons, no, KF didn't want Weigher (or Wadley) at running back.

Last edited:
KF's propensity is to have his tailbacks be tailbacks/fullbacks or flat out fullbacks. Be it Greene, Coker, Weisman, Robinson, etc. Of course, some 'slasher' running backs have played at Iowa under KF. For the most part, even when KF has 'slashers' and 'tanks' on his roster at running back, he chooses the 'tanks' to run the ball. I mean, those 'tanks' that can break tackles and can block the blitzer.

For those reasons, no, KF didn't want Weigher (or Wadley) at running back.

It is like you have never watched Iowa football. Freddie Russell, Albert Young, Damion Simms, Wegher, Robinson, Canzeri, and Wadley all say HELLO!!!

I highly doubt Wegher was ever going to move to slot, and if he was, he certainly would have been moved right back after Hampton's injury. But if he WAS going to move to slot, then the coaches would have been doing something that everyone on here always bags on them for NEVER doing; trying to get more play-makers on the field. I have no idea if he would have the requisite skills to play that position, but we know he was pretty explosive. Imagine an alternate reality where Jewel Hampton (NFL ability), Alan Reisner (NFL ability), Bradon Wegher (NFL ability), McNutt (borderline NFL ability), DJK (borderline NFL ability), and Stanzi (borderline NFL ability) line up as your offensive skill positions, with Adam Robinson, Colin Sandeman, and Keenan Davis providing depth. Ah, what might have been.

Just as a reminder, here is what the offense did that year WITHOUT Hampton and Wegher:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa/2010.html (Robinson had a really good year prior to injury)

Here is what it did this past year:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa/2016.html

The passing production was no where in the same galaxy.

Nothing is going to change. Why do you think KF hired him back? Mainly to help tutor sonny boy so he doesn't fall on his face, but KOK won't challenge KF much on anything. KF is sneaky, and most are too naive to see it. This is a move to help Brian adjust to the OC position. The offense was average at best when he was here before, but now all of a sudden this is a great hire. This staff needs someone that can recruit, period. We don't have that, and won't until the Ferentz clan is gone. We still have no talent at receiver. That was a major need, and wasn't addressed again. More of the same.

I can give you a couple of sites that are well recognized as "conspiracy theory" experts. You should take a look at them and get some pointers to improve your game.

Latest posts