Biggest hopes with new offensive coaches

And, well, we all know how much of an offensive genius KF is.:rolleyes:
KF didn't shake your hand at O'Kelly's one time and shook the hand of the guy next to you that actually could break a smile on his face? That's what happened, right.

Lots of good stuff on this thread. Some talk about tailbacks and their ability to pass block...seems like that would be a very important skill to have. Defenses do blitz... I have said this before, but will repeat: Coaches at any level will play their best players. And, most of the decisions about who starts, plays in a backup role, etc. are made by position coaches, not KF. Now, yes, he can over rule. But, that rarely happens. Don't buy that? Cannot help you.

WR production from 2010 under KOK: 134 rec, 2031 yds (15.2 yds/rec), 21 TDs

WR production from 2016 under GD: 91 rec, 1185 yds (13.0 yds/rec), 9 TDs

Not sure how much of the difference was talent, and how much was scheme. Luckily, those in charge of the scheme and those in charge of coaching up the talent (and largely responsible for bringing the talent on campus) have been removed.

Really when did we
Since my biggest hopes (crossing routes, TE use, play action, middle of the field) are already being named, I'll get a little exotic:

Use the zone read and run/pass option plays a little more. I know, more of Davis' forte, but with our trend in going after mobile QB's recently, it just adds another element for the defense to think about.
Really when did we EVER see GD implement the zone read? Were you watching the IOWA Hawkeyes the past 6 years?

KF didn't shake your hand at O'Kelly's one time and shook the hand of the guy next to you that actually could break a smile on his face? That's what happened, right.
I've never been to O'Kelly's. Furthermore, IMO, KF has ruined Iowa football. Oh the chances that might've been...

I highly doubt Wegher was ever going to move to slot, and if he was, he certainly would have been moved right back after Hampton's injury. But if he WAS going to move to slot, then the coaches would have been doing something that everyone on here always bags on them for NEVER doing; trying to get more play-makers on the field. I have no idea if he would have the requisite skills to play that position, but we know he was pretty explosive. Imagine an alternate reality where Jewel Hampton (NFL ability), Alan Reisner (NFL ability), Bradon Wegher (NFL ability), McNutt (borderline NFL ability), DJK (borderline NFL ability), and Stanzi (borderline NFL ability) line up as your offensive skill positions, with Adam Robinson, Colin Sandeman, and Keenan Davis providing depth. Ah, what might have been.

Just as a reminder, here is what the offense did that year WITHOUT Hampton and Wegher:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa/2010.html (Robinson had a really good year prior to injury)

Here is what it did this past year:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa/2016.html

The passing production was no where in the same galaxy.
Play calling for the slot was much less existent than tailback under KOK's scheme. Iowa didn't want to include Weigher at slot to put more playmakers on the field, Iowa (KF) wanted Weigher on the bench for more of the game.

On the average: tail back 25+ carries per game, slot receiver 1 per game.

Last edited:
If there was ever a definition of fake news, this is it.
One only has to look to the missed chances on recruiting in just the last class, for example (there are dozens more misses in recruiting and other areas of Iowa football), to see the missed opportunities at Iowa.

Last edited:
I've never been to O'Kelly's. Furthermore, IMO, KF has ruined Iowa football. Oh the chances that might've been...
Yes. Thank you.

"Ruin
1a. Archaic: falling down; collapse < from age to age

1b. Collapse"

Everybody has an opinion. What matters is if it's a good one or a right one. Yours doesn't have weight. Not even close.

Your opinion of "ruin" doesn't have weight with the facts of:

KF's record compared to D-I programs

KF's record compared to Big10 programs

KF's record compared to Iowa football history

The facts don't matter. All that matters is emoting -- and especially at someone who you think is preventing you to feel good about yourself.

Wegher was never, ever, ever moving to the slot. It is time to put your lying about this to rest.

https://marcmwm.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/ferentz-on-wegher/

Running back, slot receiver, safety. You’re allowed to project. The reality of the situation is Iowa recruited Wegher as a running back. Iowa coaches only ever talked about running back, Wegher said.

So, running back it is.

“They’ve only ever talked to me about running back,” Wegher said. “They’ve given me the opportunity to play running back and stay in the state. Coach (Kirk Ferentz) has told me to be ready to make an impact.”

When Wegher was MIA from Iowa camp right before the season, Hampton was suspended for week 1, Brad Rogers was being moved to fullback and Marcus Cocker had a broken clavical. Iowa's #2 running back was Paki O'Meara, but you are trying to propagate the lie that the staff was gonna move Wegher to the slot with all of that going on????

Stop with the truth, already.

Did you even watch football in the 2010 season? Coker got pressed into service with Hampton's, then Robinson's injury.

Coker was going to be a great one. Guy ran for over 600 yards as a Fr, and 1300+ yards as a So. He averaged over 5 YPC as a Fr & So. Not sure why you wanna bag on a 4* running back that showed great promise.

Stop, stop, stop. You're trying to debate Chumpley. He's the expert. Learn the game.

This is also the guy who started KM over BB a Heusman runner up because he couldnt teach him the plays and drove us nuts not starting pick 6 Rick.
For sure next year will be different. Which way who knows. Next year wont be iindicative for the next.

The 'tailback' had to be of a certain weight and be able to block any blitzers to the QB. Mark my words. That's more important to KF"s offense than speed, quickness, receiving ability or cutting ability.

KOK ran KF's preferred offense while he was OC. Things won't change. Especially after an OC that rocked KF's boat with Davis. Especially since KF has just a few goals left in coaching and Iowa fans seem satisfied with previous results..

So, I take it from this that you WANT our QB to get hit by blitzers.

This is my obligatory Brandon Weigher referenced post of the day: Back on the first few months of 2010 after the great performance of Weigher in the 2010 Orange Bowl Game vs. Georgia Tech on the first few days of the year, the Iowa staff (KF) rewarded Weigher, a runner with experience albeit just one year, with the position of slot receiver. Slot receiver had very little to do in KOK's offense.

Weigher was very similar, IMO, in measurables to Wadley. Both were fast and quick. Both could catch the pass. Both were underweight by KF's standards (Weigher weighed just over 200 LBS.). Neither could block the blitzer to the QB.

I believe KF (who now is in charge of the offense, again, IMO) will do the same with Wadley as he did with Weigher. Wadley will have to 'shape up' or be relegated to the bench, or, at least, see little game action.

At least, KF won't give the starting tailback's job to some fullback like he did with M. Coker in 2010 <an incoming freshman>, right?

If these things don't happen, I'll conclude KF truly has little time left at Iowa before retirement 'cause he's allowing some other coach to coach (the OC, his son) and not be the smotherer of coaches as is his reputation.

So it's your prediction that Wadley will be moved to slot receiver? Apparently not, dude. Iowa 2-deeps

Iowa didn't want to include Weigher at slot to put more playmakers on the field, Iowa (KF) wanted Weigher on the bench for more of the game.

I agree that Iowa did not make extensive use of a 3rd receiver under KOK's direction. But I have no idea how you can make the bolded statement. What evidence are you using to deduce that KF did not want Weigher on the field: his 13.5 touches per game and 8 TDs as a true freshman? The fact that he led the team in touches for the Bowl game when both he and Robinson were finally healthy?

And furthermore, how do you have such keen understanding of the psyche of KF? Have your forged some sort of a mind-meld that allows you to know his deepest, inner thoughts? Is this like a "being John Malkovich" sort of thing?

I agree that Iowa did not make extensive use of a 3rd receiver under KOK's direction. But I have no idea how you can make the bolded statement. What evidence are you using to deduce that KF did not want Weigher on the field: his 13.5 touches per game and 8 TDs as a true freshman? The fact that he led the team in touches for the Bowl game when both he and Robinson were finally healthy?

And furthermore, how do you have such keen understanding of the psyche of KF? Have your forged some sort of a mind-meld that allows you to know his deepest, inner thoughts? Is this like a "being John Malkovich" sort of thing?

Every time he brings up this lie, I challenge him on it. He has nothing. It is BS, and typical Homer making crap up just to hate on KF.

No.
The Trinity has been expanded by one.
It's now called the Quadrinity.

No.
The Trinity has been expanded by one.
It's now called the Quadrinity.
There is no mystery about KF's psyche. He knows very little about football except for the O-Line yet he wants firm control and final say over every aspect of Iowa football. If you'd ask me about KF's expertise other than the O-Line, I'd suggest a topic not as related to football: control. Look control isn't bad if one knows what they're doing. Like Belichick, for example. But KF, well, he controls those mediocre results from the input given to him doesn't he?

Last edited:

Latest posts