Big Ten West (Recruiting)

Hawkeye recruiting has really picked up the last few weeks with multiple commitments being announced to Iowa. It has seemed to raise a level of excitement for this upcoming season and for the future. This staff has done a good job of putting together a decent class so far.

BUT.....

I would like to make the point that the caliber of talent that Iowa is reeling in is HEAVILY lacking compared to what Wisconsin and Nebraska are pulling in....especially Nebraska. On ESPN.com, Nebraska has 5 (!) 4-star commitments already so you can only assume they will add a few more before it's all said and done. That include 4 ESPN300 commits (including Iowa's own John Raridon). Wisconsin has 2 4-star commitments so far according to ESPN (both ESPN300 recruits). You can also assume that they will add a few more. Iowa has ZERO 4-star commits on ESPN and only 2 of our 15 commits are even rated (both 3-star).

Let me also remind you that both these teams have first-year head coaches. I'm not saying that Iowa should be recruiting as well as Nebraska and Wisconsin because we never have and most likely never will, especially under KF. But the talent these Big Ten West rivals are reeling in compared to our 2-star and 3-star MAC-level recruits is concerning and leading me to believe the the Big Ten West will be Nebraska and Wisconsin's division for a very long time.

Here is a look to compare Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa's recruiting classes to date.....

NEBRASKA http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/158/class/2016
WISCONSIN http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/275/class/2016
IOWA :/ http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2294/class/2016

While we are at it let's have a laugh at ISU's 2-commit class :)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/66/class/2016

Our success will depend, as always, on how we develop our lower rated recruits. This is not the time to worry. Let's look at them in a year or two.

ESPN sucks. Use scout or rivals

Okay, even then we are still getting our *** kicked in recruiting. I'm not personally a fan of Scout. Rivals is pretty good but I like the Crystal Ball predictions on 247sports and I just think ESPN Recruiting service is most paid attention to especially on NSD. It seems the most official

You realize the difference between a lower 4 star and a higher 3 star (like Iowa has) is minimal, and to the naked eye no difference at all.
Relying on stars, is for amateurs. As there are so many variables with humans, no one can directly predict how these kids will mature.

P.S. Iowa is ranked right with Nebraska and Wisconsin in recruiting this year.

You realize the difference between a lower 4 star and a higher 3 star (like Iowa has) is minimal, and to the naked eye no difference at all.
Relying on stars, is for amateurs. As there are so many variables with humans, no one can directly predict how these kids will mature.

So what your saying is that our dismal results the last few years can be blamed on the coaching staff. So something needs to change doesn't it?

So what your saying is that our dismal results the last few years can be blamed on the coaching staff. So something needs to change doesn't it?

No I'm saying that just because we don't have a 4 star recruit, doesn't mean we don't have any talent in this class.

Chances are that some of our 3 star recruits will be just as good as Wisconsin's 4 star recruits.

Stars don't account for motivation, willingness to learn and personal growth.

No I'm saying that just because we don't have a 4 star recruit, doesn't mean we don't have any talent in this class.

Chances are that some of our 3 star recruits will be just as good as Wisconsin's 4 star recruits.

Stars don't account for motivation, willingness to learn and personal growth.

Okay but these 3 star recruits we are getting aren't beating Nebraska and Wisconsin even in Kinnick Stadium. You can say all you want that the coaches will develop talent with these low-level recruits. But, the reality is that recruiting classes and stars and ratings more often than not reflect the talent level on the field pretty accurately.

Iowa is ranked "with" Nebraska and Wisconsin right now because we have 7 more commits at the moment. AND WE ARE STILL RANKED BEHIND THEM. That's not a good sign. When they catch up in numbers it won't even be somewhat close and Iowa will slip in the rankings to the 50's like every year. That is my point. Quantity over Quality does not exist in recruiting

Iowa is ranked "with" Nebraska and Wisconsin right now because we have 7 more commits at the moment. AND WE ARE STILL RANKED BEHIND THEM. That's not a good sign. When they catch up in numbers it won't even be somewhat close and Iowa will slip in the rankings to the 50's like every year. That is my point. Quantity over Quality does not exist in recruiting

I would love to see at least one or two 4-star+ committing yearly. I am not on the Ferwntz bandwagon either btw. It pains me to see Duke, Kentucky and whomever else with better classes. I can't wait for the next coaching staff to get here.

But I hate b1tching and moaning on the message boards, if y'all are going to complain go to Iowa City to do it.

I would love to see at least one or two 4-star+ committing yearly. I am not on the Ferwntz bandwagon either btw. It pains me to see Duke, Kentucky and whomever else with better classes. I can't wait for the next coaching staff to get here.

But I hate b1tching and moaning on the message boards, if y'all are going to complain go to Iowa City to do it.

Not to b!tch and moan more but I think it is very delusional of Hawkeye fans to believe that we can hire either Bielema from Arkansas or Stoops from Oklahoma. Both are considerably better jobs right now. Just because a coach has minimal ties to your school doesn't mean they are looking to come rushing back to you especially when they are in better positions already.

Not to b!tch and moan more but I think it is very delusional of Hawkeye fans to believe that we can hire either Bielema from Arkansas or Stoops from Oklahoma. Both are considerably better jobs right now. Just because a coach has minimal ties to your school doesn't mean they are looking to come rushing back to you especially when they are in better positions already.

No comment. Its a scary thought what could happen.

You can go ahead and keep counting stars and not even look at the prospects. Most do. What I'm seeing as compared to last couple years is that a lot of these recruits appear to have some real potential when you just look at their tape. Defensive line prospects appear to have some decent size and speed and don't look like 2 year projects. Last couple linebacker commits look like they can really hit. A RB just chose Iowa over Michigan and has legit speed. The WR commits this week look like natural wide receivers with some real talent and ability to get yards after catch. Those are the things I look at first. If Rivals wants to say Iowa is now ranked 25th in the country, that's cool but I'm liking the way this recruiting class is looking just based off the tape I'm watching. It's all about getting the best talent you can and getting them in the program. You're right about the rankings evening out, but recruits that Iowa are still after have to be seeing that Iowa's class is filling up quick and has some buzz. Could persuade some big commits towards the end of this class to jump on and be part of what looks to be a promising class.

You can go ahead and keep counting stars and not even look at the prospects. Most do. What I'm seeing as compared to last couple years is that a lot of these recruits appear to have some real potential when you just look at their tape. Defensive line prospects appear to have some decent size and speed and don't look like 2 year projects. Last couple linebacker commits look like they can really hit. A RB just chose Iowa over Michigan and has legit speed. The WR commits this week look like natural wide receivers with some real talent and ability to get yards after catch. Those are the things I look at first. If Rivals wants to say Iowa is now ranked 25th in the country, that's cool but I'm liking the way this recruiting class is looking just based off the tape I'm watching. It's all about getting the best talent you can and getting them in the program. You're right about the rankings evening out, but recruits that Iowa are still after have to be seeing that Iowa's class is filling up quick and has some buzz. Could persuade some big commits towards the end of this class to jump on and be part of what looks to be a promising class.

I don't only look at stars in recruiting. In fact, I look at OFFERS much more heavily than stars and when you look at Iowa's commits....it's even more concerning. We are still offering the same MAC-level recruits and being satisfied with recruits choosing Iowa over Ball State and Central Michigan. The new WR commit we just got chose Iowa over Georgia State, Buffalo, Delaware, James Madison, Liberty, UMASS, and Old Domion. So now we are resorting to FCS-level recruits. Even better! Also, have you ever looked a commit's tape and thought it was bad? It's a HIGHLIGHT tape for a reason. You don't see the bad or the plays that aren't BCS caliber. Reasons other schools don't offer but Iowa does. Once again, look at offers more than stars. Coaches are better evaluators of talent than recruiting services. And with that in mind, it makes this class even more concerning. Not that it's any different than years past though. #IowaFootball

Latest posts