Big Ten Media create their own poll...results

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Nebraska Cornhuskers named Big Ten football favorite in Plain Dealer Newspaper Poll | cleveland.com

LEGENDS
1. Nebraska (19) 139
2. Michigan State (4) 118
3. Iowa 82
4. Michigan (1) 71
5. Northwestern 69
6. Minnesota 25

LEADERS
1. Wisconsin (22) 141
2. Ohio State (1) 113
3. Penn State (1) 95
4. Illinois 76
5. Purdue 52
6. Indiana 27

http://illinihq.com/news/football/2011/07/25/robinson_crick_pegged_as_best

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (first-place votes in parentheses)
* Voting on 3-2-1 point system, with voters picking top three

1. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan (14) 52
2. Dan Persa, QB, Northwestern (4) 26
3. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State (2) 18
4. Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State (1) 16
5. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (1) 14
6. Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin (2) 9
7. Taylor Martinez, QB, Nebraska 4
8. James White, RB, Wisconsin 2
9. Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State 2
10. Derek Moye, WR, Penn State 1

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (first-place votes in parentheses)

1. Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska (15) 58
2. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska (7) 37
3. Jerel Worthy, DL, Michigan State 10
4. Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa (1) 8
5. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska (1) 7
6. John Simon, DL, Ohio State 6
7. Mike Mauti, LB, Penn State 5
8. Mike Martin, DL, Michigan 3
9. Nathan Williams, DL, Ohio State 2
Players who received a second- or third-place vote on one ballot: Chris Borland, LB,
Wisconsin; Trenton Robinson, S, Michigan State; Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa; Kawann Short,
DL, Purdue; Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue; Mike Taylor, LB, Wisconsin

Best Coach in the Big Ten (not a coach of the year award)

BEST COACH (first-place votes in parentheses)

1. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin (7) 35
2. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (6) 31
3. Bo Pelini, Nebraska (3) 30
4. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern (4) 27
5. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State (4) 18
6. Brady Hoke, Michigan 2
7. Joe Paterno, Penn State 1

I only watched Neb play a couple times last season, but they looked like a very average team whenever I saw them play. Don't understand the hype, especially with their schedule.

I only watched Neb play a couple times last season, but they looked like a very average team whenever I saw them play. Don't understand the hype, especially with their schedule.

I think they have the best defense in the league...and Big Ten teams with great defenses have usually done very well in league play. Their offense has some question marks at QB and RB to be sure...

But as Iowa fans should know, a great defense and an average offense can do a lot in the this league.

At the beginning of last year Nebraska looked unstoppable at times but then teams started figuring out how to stop Martinez and then he got hurt and they looked very average. It will all come down to offense this year again for Nebraska. If their offense performs like it did the second half of the season then they will be looking at more than a couple of losses.

Won't NE defense be adapting to fewer spread offenses? I believe I read that Big XII defenses were built to stop the spread offenses, deploying more defensive back types than true linebackers and lineman. I'm unsure the Nebraska defense has the personnel for the more traditional offenses.

Won't NE defense be adapting to fewer spread offenses? I believe I read that Big XII defenses were built to stop the spread offenses, deploying more defensive back types than true linebackers and lineman. I'm unsure the Nebraska defense has the personnel for the more traditional offenses.[/QUOTE]

imo, I really don't think that is an issue.........short term or long term.

I know OSU has had some issues this year but I still think they have more talent top to bottom than Wisconsin and if the players rally around each other I can easily see them winning that division

Nebraska's odds to win the division are -165, which is crazy. Iowa +800.

Big Ten Legends Winner - 9/2/2011 7:30 PM (EST)
Nebraska -165
Michigan State +550
Michigan +775
Iowa +800
Northwestern +950
Minnesota +5300

Won't NE defense be adapting to fewer spread offenses? I believe I read that Big XII defenses were built to stop the spread offenses, deploying more defensive back types than true linebackers and lineman. I'm unsure the Nebraska defense has the personnel for the more traditional offenses.

I remember reading this too, talking about them having smaller and faster LBs than they historically did, geared toward stopping the spread-type offenses. But NEB has a B1G like DL no doubt.

Michigan is going to be favored over Iowa in Vegas just because of the # of fans they have. Like how the Cubs and Cowboys lines are always skewed because they have so many fans who will bet on them regardless.

I think they have the best defense in the league...and Big Ten teams with great defenses have usually done very well in league play. Their offense has some question marks at QB and RB to be sure...

But as Iowa fans should know, a great defense and an average offense can do a lot in the this league.

Yes but...when we've had an "average" offense, that offense was typically led by a very good QB, or a QB who was a game manager. TM is neither. You wanna try to run that one-dimensional attack against a Norm Parker defense?

Nebraska's odds to win the division are -165, which is crazy. Iowa +800.

Big Ten Legends Winner - 9/2/2011 7:30 PM (EST)
Nebraska -165
Michigan State +550
Michigan +775
Iowa +800
Northwestern +950
Minnesota +5300

I think those are great odds for Iowa. Where are you seeing that?

I think Nebraska front seven is suited for B1G
I think that we will have the best DL in the league, very, very deep at DT, but the DEs (outside of Meredith) could be an area of concern.

I disagree with our LBs, however. LaVonte David is a great player, should be good at the weakside in a 4-3. However, we are very, very thin when it comes to quality depth. Compton has been steady at best in the middle, while Fisher was just ok when he was healthy. Now he is coming off of the broken leg. Whaley was the top backup, which isn't saying much. Eric Martin will play DE, or may play a combo of DE/LB. Look for true freshman David Santos to get some playing time.

Also, I would look for us to use possibly more fronts with 3 DT's and moving a guy like Meredith to a standup LB position at times.

I know OSU has had some issues this year but I still think they have more talent top to bottom than Wisconsin and if the players rally around each other I can easily see them winning that division
Yeah, they very well could. The x-factor is how much or how little of a drop-off Miller will be.

Two things.

1. With trips to Lincoln and Iowa City, don't buy the hype for Michigan State.
2. Ohio State might not win the division, but they're going to pimp-slap Wisconsin this year.

Latest posts