Big, PAC, ACC Alliance???

As long as ISU gets left by the side of the road like a discarded McDonald's sack I don't care what they do.
I've never agreed with anything more in my life. I think the NCAA itself is in trouble and whatever the heck an 'alliance' ends up being is just securing non conference games and a certain amount of guaranteed revenue (securing the Rose Bowl is no small thing either) But the thought of ISU and much of the Big 12 scrounging for a safety net has me giggling.

The NCAA is somewhat like the USSR in the late '80s: the end is near. The NCAA has pretty much admitted that going forward it's not going to be involved with major issues involving college athletics -- NIL, C-19, gambling, etc. Sooner rather than later it's going to dissolve into a shell of its former self, and become little more than an event planner that organizes national championships.

The NCAA is somewhat like the USSR in the late '80s: the end is near. The NCAA has pretty much admitted that going forward it's not going to be involved with major issues involving college athletics -- NIL, C-19, gambling, etc. Sooner rather than later it's going to dissolve into a shell of its former self, and become little more than an event planner that organizes national championships.
After they pulled back on the meager penalties levied on Penn State, I could tell something was up. Damn, a good share of the B1G East teams have been outed with some scandal and effectively nothing from the NCAA. The Chamber of Commerce boys running things don't want to punish their frat brothers. I get it.

After they pulled back on the meager penalties levied on Penn State, I could tell something was up. Damn, a good share of the B1G East teams have been outed with some scandal and effectively nothing from the NCAA. The Chamber of Commerce boys running things don't want to punish their frat brothers. I get it.

The problem with dropping the hammer too hard on PSU is that it screws over everyone in the conference. For round numbers, say the conference has $600 million in revenue and $100 million came from PSU. 600/12 is 50 per team. 500/11 is 45.5 per team. Teams that are accretive to a conference simply can't be punished without collectively boning the whole conference. Pretty hard to tell Iowa "yeah, sorry Penn State fucked up so you guys are gonna have to take a $4.5 million revenue hit." It sucks, but basically if Rutgers, PSU, Illinois, Michigan or OSU fucks up, you can't hammer them too hard because even though it is dying, the cable TV revenue model really requires the flagship state school in each huge population state to drive money for the net takers like Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, etc.

Stop gap measure to slow down the SEC. It gives time for those 3 conferences to strategize on what moves to make moving forward.

...........and part of the reason for the alliance and the voting power it brings in determining direction. The Pac 12, BIG, & ACC representatives want to retain the collegiate model while the SEC seems to be moving away from that model and more toward a semi pro operative.

SEC seems hell bent on killing the Golden Goose. College football is about tradition, history, and love of the game. Let the top 20 or thirty programs have their semi-pro league, let everyone else play in a D1 division and let them be D1+. Let them crown their champ let D1 crowns theirs. But don't play them regular season or playoffs. Let them put together a 10 game season which they don't play each other 3 times. Time for teams to play hard ball against the greedy ones.

The Alliance is simple. If the SEC talks one of us into doing something, like a 12 team playoff, the other two will have to go along with it. But, if we stick together, we get to decide the terms of the big stuff in the future. The SEC will try to divide and conquer and dictate terms. The Fellowship of the Other Three will stymie that.

I think “leaving ISU in the dust” is a terrible idea. They are quite literally the ONLY exciting football in Iowa. Their coach is there to stay for the foreseeable future, and he puts playmakers on the field, which is something we’re not used to. It’s uncomfortable seeing it in other programs, but that’s what coaches who want to win do.
having them as a yearly game will always push Iowa to do “enough” to beat them. Which slightly increases our offensive mindset in at least one game a year. Not to mention, they prepare us well for pac-12 teams.

It’s really strange how grown adults cannot see the big picture because ISU is a rival.

I think “leaving ISU in the dust” is a terrible idea. They are quite literally the ONLY exciting football in Iowa. Their coach is there to stay for the foreseeable future, and he puts playmakers on the field, which is something we’re not used to. It’s uncomfortable seeing it in other programs, but that’s what coaches who want to win do.
having them as a yearly game will always push Iowa to do “enough” to beat them. Which slightly increases our offensive mindset in at least one game a year. Not to mention, they prepare us well for pac-12 teams.

It’s really strange how grown adults cannot see the big picture because ISU is a rival.
Get off our Board, troll!

Setting aside how wrong everything you said is from a "we hate The Clowns because they are our rival" how could it possibly benefit Iowa to have the only other team in a small state be a good program? We face ISU in recruiting battles on nearly every kid in the state. If ISU is relegated, we continue to win most of those battles.

I don't see Ohio State clamoring to move Ohio or Cincinnati into the big money league. I'm really conflicted about Iowa State. On one hand, I feel bad for them and could see the same happening to us if our conference loses 3 power teams. But, on the other hand, I think it is absolutely hilarious and the thought of them seeing their media rights revenue shaved by 75% and relegated to playing Tulsa every year makes me laugh my balls off.

The Alliance is simple. If the SEC talks one of us into doing something, like a 12 team playoff, the other two will have to go along with it. But, if we stick together, we get to decide the terms of the big stuff in the future. The SEC will try to divide and conquer and dictate terms. The Fellowship of the Other Three will stymie that.
The NCAA's biggest fear was always antitrust. I don't know to what extent the conferences have this fear, but they should. I'm sure most of us are old enough to remember the days when you got two games a week on TV. That sucked. But the power schools, including Oklahoma and Georgia, sued the NCAA because the NCAA was restricting the supply of televised games to drive the price of the license of TV rights up. The case went to the Supreme Court and the NCAA got its ass handed to it.

Same thing just happened with the payment of players case. Cost the NCAA $37 million in legal fees to lose. My point is, if these shit bag conferences want to band together to prevent the formation of a 12 team playoff, which seriously every fan wants, to me it is a slam dunk antitrust case if they act in a concerted manner to restrict the output of college football games. If they pull this shit, the SEC should just move 2 of its biggest rivalry games to championship Saturday, obliterate the TV ratings of the shitty conference title games and then make its own slate of bowl games that are just compelling SEC matchups that are all held on January 1 and call the winner of the SEC championship game the national champ. The so-called "Alliance" can have its Rose Bowl go head to head against the Alabama Georgia game and they can watch in horror as the Rose Bowl's TV ratings get cut in half and even more as fans tire of watching OSU versus USC or Washington or Oregon every year.

You don't think your screen name is obvious enough? Get lost already...

I call fail on DW's comment of isu and uk to B1G.........

WHO13.COM
ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 to announce alliance plans, according to AP source
by: Ralph D. Russo, Associated Press
Posted: Aug 24, 2021 / 10:03 AM CDT / Updated: Aug 24, 2021 / 10:03 AM CDT

The Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten and Pac-12 plan to announce Tuesday that the three powerful leagues will form an alliance to work together on items such as football scheduling and college sports governance.
A person familiar with the talks among the conferences told The Associated Press the commissioners of the three leagues are expected for the first time to publicly address an idea that has been discussed for several weeks.
The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the conferences had not authorized anyone to speak publicly about the alliance before the formal announcement. The person said Tuesday’s announcement will be light on details and more of a commitment from the three relatively new commissioners — Kevin Warren of the Big Ten, Jim Phillips of the ACC and George Kliavkoff of the Pac-12 — that the conferences will work together on shared goals.

That’s some funny stuff. Weak troll attempt. 2 out of 10.

ban-banned.gif

Thank you Jamie.

I don't see Ohio State clamoring to move Ohio or Cincinnati into the big money league. I'm really conflicted about Iowa State. On one hand, I feel bad for them and could see the same happening to us if our conference loses 3 power teams. But, on the other hand, I think it is absolutely hilarious and the thought of them seeing their media rights revenue shaved by 75% and relegated to playing Tulsa every year makes me laugh my balls off.

I'm with you. I'm conflicted. I like knowing or seeing them squirm.

What's funny is they haven't been irrelevant in the history of college football until now. They finally play in a bowl game after Dec. 31. They are finally significant in the landscape of college football then this happens to their conference. The Big 12 is a hair way from imploding and nobody wants to touch the teams left with a 10 ft pole, even leaving the conference out of a possible alliance agreement.

The irony. It's just unbelievable. I'd be damn nervous if I was a BIG 12 fan of where your team could end up, prob a group of 6 team going forward. Lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts