Big Man Iowa Contacted

Fran can sell plug in play starting minutes on a team that is loaded from 2-4. He can also sell having back to back to back national POY candidates and NBA draftees. No one else on that list offers that sort of mix. But, Fran does not have a bag man like some of the coaches on that list....

Fran can sell plug in play starting minutes on a team that is loaded from 2-4. He can also sell having back to back to back national POY candidates and NBA draftees. No one else on that list offers that sort of mix. But, Fran does not have a bag man like some of the coaches on that list....
I hope Iowa is able to land this guy. I also hope he is as good as his list seems to indicate. I am always concerned with a player who is taking a step up in competition and how long the transition takes to adjust. The WAC is a nice league but not at the same level as the BIG. I am hopeful Rebraca will make a nice jump next year after a season in the conference.

Rebraca does not have the natural skills and talent this kid has. I think Filip is a good player, but he should be coming off the bench in the role that Ryan Kreiner used to have. We need an upgrade at the 5. This kid would be a huge get, but the competition is daunting.

Rebraca does not have the natural skills and talent this kid has. I think Filip is a good player, but he should be coming off the bench in the role that Ryan Kreiner used to have. We need an upgrade at the 5. This kid would be a huge get, but the competition is daunting.
That is why I do not trust stats on a player from a mid major program. The competition night in and night out is not the same as a power conference.

Last edited:
That is why I do not trust stats on a player from a mid major program. The competition night in and night our is not the same as a power conference.
Watch a little tape on this kid. The eye ball test confirms to me he can be really good at this level. He is an athlete.

I never expected Rebraca to be much more than he has been. He flourished at a lower level, but he never looked like a kid that would match that performance at the highest level. He was 3 inches too short for his kind of game and not a natural athlete. I am certainly glad we got him and I am glad he is coming back, but there is plenty of room to upgrade.

Fran may not have warmed to the transfer portal idea in the past but his fortune's next season look to hinge on finding a pot or two of gold in the portal now.

With the portal it now seems a head coach's recruiting skills have more value than ever. Development skills seem to be taking on a lessor value.

Fran may not have warmed to the transfer portal idea in the past but his fortune's next season look to hinge on finding a pot or two of gold in the portal now.

With the portal it now seems a head coach's recruiting skills have more value than ever. Development skills seem to be taking on a lessor value.
Fran has been abundantly clear that he is recruiting transfers.

Fran got Rebraca last year and he is looking for a big again this year in the portal. Just because he likes stability and isn't going to Hoiberg it every year, doesn't mean he doesn't see the value in looking for the right fit in the portal. Much like KF, he views the portal as surgical. Stable rosters build long term success.

Scholarship, $50K upon signing, $50K at the end of the year, and $50K at the start/end of next year each from Casey's, HyVee, and Learfield in whatever sort of advertising package it would need to look like. $50K is chump change at their level.

Lexus RS from McGrath in exchange for some commercials, and get local places to set up some smaller deals for commercials in and around Iowa City.

That's about $600-700K for 2 years not out of Iowa's pocket.

If we don't start jumping in the NIL fire right away instead of after the fact we're not going to get recruits and transfers we want unless they have ties to the program. Even mid tier players are getting damn good deals.

Scholarship, $50K upon signing, $50K at the end of the year, and $50K at the start/end of next year each from Casey's, HyVee, and Learfield in whatever sort of advertising package it would need to look like. $50K is chump change at their level.

Lexus RS from McGrath in exchange for some commercials, and get local places to set up some smaller deals for commercials in and around Iowa City.

If we don't start jumping in the NIL fire right away instead of after the fact we're not going to get recruits and transfers we want unless they have ties to the program. Even mid tier players are getting damn good deals.
Interesting post FryIowa. Here is what you said about my suggestion that the NIL and Portal was going to change things in the "Champoinship Cheaters" post
"Then find a different sport. It ain’t changing and no one here wants 50 threads about NIL and the transfer portal.

Pickleball is on FS2 right now, maybe you can start following that sport."

By the way how did you know about the Pickleball?

Interesting post FryIowa. Here is what you said about my suggestion that the NIL and Portal was going to change things in the "Champoinship Cheaters" post
"Then find a different sport. It ain’t changing and no one here wants 50 threads about NIL and the transfer portal.
Your post was made as advocating against NIL because it (in your misguided opinion) was hurting college sports.

That discussion advocating for or against it is moot and repetitious, to the point of not needing to hear the argument ad nauseum. It isn't going away, so reading treatises for or against it is pointless.

My point was stating that Iowa should use NIL to it's advantage because, like it or not, it's here to stay. It had nothing to do at all with the pros and cons

That's why Iowa's made his final 5 for sure. On the floor Iowa offers everything he could want. Style of play, mins, big time conference on tv all the time, Shooters around him to spread the floor if he's doubled. To me it's just a matter of geography and $. To what extent do those two things factor in for him.

What a difference maker he'd make too he's exactly what Iowa needs on D and on the boards. If he's an upgrade at all offensively (I don't think there's any doubt about it he would be) then plugging him in would be awesome and would take some pressure off of Kris to maybe be the man the whole time.

The Iowa AD has shown time and time again to be reactive and not proactive.

And, I agree, Iowa better move on NIL collectives and find other ways to use it. It's already falling behind. I'm really not sure the reason for the holdup and dragging of feet.

How does a guy like that end up at Utah State Valley in the first place? Was he a late bloomer or something like he had to prove himself. How does one go from relative anonymity to about having every school on his board to pick from. Rob, any insight on this or how this went down? Anybody else baffled by this? I mean he doesn't have a questionable background or apparently any baggage. I don't get it.

I'm keeping tabs on what he decides as it's interesting as hell.

How does a guy like that end up at Utah State Valley in the first place? Was he a late bloomer or something like he had to prove himself. How does one go from relative anonymity to about having every school on his board to pick from. Rob, any insight on this or how this went down? Anybody else baffled by this? I mean he doesn't have a questionable background or apparently any baggage. I don't get it.

I'm keeping tabs on what he decides as it's interesting as hell.
I think sometimes players either get overlooked or they are late to blossom. Look at a guy like Damian Lillard. Played four years at Weber State and now he is a top five guy in the NBA.

Latest posts