BHGP DJK story

It's a ridiculous premise. He was seen as a late-round draft choice prior to being arrested and has marginal NFL talent. Mike ******* Vick is a starting QB in the league for crying out loud. DJK is not being blackballed because he doesn't get along with Ferentz.

It's a ridiculous premise. He was seen as a late-round draft choice prior to being arrested and has marginal NFL talent. Mike ******* Vick is a starting QB in the league for crying out loud. DJK is not being blackballed because he doesn't get along with Ferentz.

This.

If an NFL team thinks DJK has the talent to help them win, they'll sign him. Period.

If KFZ did say anything to those teams asking... it was nothing more than the truth. He's not going to compromise his reputation by trashing a kid unnecessarily...or by backing him when he doesn't honestly feel he can.

If an NFL team thinks DJK has the talent to help them win, they'll sign him. Period.

If KFZ did say anything to those teams asking... it was nothing more than the truth. He's not going to compromise his reputation by trashing a kid unnecessarily...or by backing him when he doesn't honestly feel he can.

This is what I think is the case. I'm sure DJK probably got a negative endorsement. But unlike the writer, I don't think that's wrong. He earned a negative rep from Ferentz, even if it's only the drug charges, though I'm sure there are other issues that we'll never know about.

That lack of support from Ferentz, in combination with his less than elite talent, is what's keeping him out right now.

It's kind of a chicken/egg argument. If he'd gotten a positive endorsement, he'd be in the league. However, if he had elite talent, he'd be in the league regardless.

Raises some interesting points and certainly worth the (long) read. My guess is there is more than one reason DJK is not getting a tryout in the NFL. Just some that come to mind, in order or priority:

1) The entirety of his interaction with a well-respected college and former NFL coach over five years.
2) Good numbers at the college level but hardly stellar speed, size and talent by NFL standards.
3) The attitude he exhibited on and off the field. NFL staffs view hundreds of hours of game video, read press reports, do checks when evaluating college talent.
4) A much-publicized arrest with multiple counts, including, as the article notes, the incendiary charge of keeping a drug house, at virtually the worst time in his college career when being considered by coaches and GMs for a chance at the next level. It doesn't matter that he pleaded guilty to just one minor charge. The damage was done.

DJK didn't have the talent to play outside the lines. He cost himself the opportunity to compete and to receive a big paycheck in the NFL. This is not on Kirk Ferentz.

Raises some interesting points and certainly worth the (long) read. My guess is there is more than one reason DJK is not getting a tryout in the NFL. Just some that come to mind, in order or priority:

1) The entirety of his interaction with a well-respected college and former NFL coach over five years.
2) Good numbers at the college level but hardly stellar speed, size and talent by NFL standards.
3) The attitude he exhibited on and off the field. NFL staffs view hundreds of hours of game video, read press reports, do checks when evaluating college talent.
4) A much-publicized arrest with multiple counts, including, as the article notes, the incendiary charge of keeping a drug house, at virtually the worst time in his college career when being considered by coaches and GMs for a chance at the next level. It doesn't matter that he pleaded guilty to just one minor charge. The damage was done.

DJK cost himself the opportunity to compete and to receive a big paycheck in the NFL. This is not on Kirk Ferentz.

Good points, but there are players in the NFL with the same sort of baggage, though (and worse baggage). His workout numbers were up there with other WRs at the combine that back up his record-breaking numbers at Iowa.

A year ago, DJK was going to the NFL... undeniably... by many sources.

If not saying he should have been drafted, but to not get a FA signing or a supplemental draft pick says something.

Last edited:
Probably the best article on the subject I have read. He does a great job discussing his point, of which I only halfway agree, and he gave good insight to support his belief that DJK may be being blackballed.

I still believe that NFL personel have the resources to scout a player based on 5 years of game film and by interviewing opposing coaches and players. DJK has tremedous skills and is a complete WR. He runs great routes, is a very good blocker and is a threat to score on almost any play. I see guys getting looks in pre-season that are no where close to the skill level that DJK has. He will have no criminal record after his 1 year of probation so in reality he is completely clean. What the hell is the "Unknown" that teams won't even take a look? This is setting up to be a huge story at some point. I can see ESPN doing a show on DJK as well as maybe 60 Minutes. Curious to what everyone thinks.

Probably the best article on the subject I have read. He does a great job discussing his point, of which I only halfway agree, and he gave good insight to support his belief that DJK may be being blackballed.

I still believe that NFL personel have the resources to scout a player based on 5 years of game film and by interviewing opposing coaches and players. DJK has tremedous skills and is a complete WR. He runs great routes, is a very good blocker and is a threat to score on almost any play. I see guys getting looks in pre-season that are no where close to the skill level that DJK has. He will have no criminal record after his 1 year of probation so in reality he is completely clean. What the hell is the "Unknown" that teams won't even take a look? This is setting up to be a huge story at some point. I can see ESPN doing a show on DJK as well as maybe 60 Minutes. Curious to what everyone thinks.

lol really? That is crazy talk.

Agreed.

Looking at all the chumps over the years that have at least been invited to camp as a FA, it just doesnt make sense that somebody with DJK's college success and workout numbers doesnt get a shot. IMO he is clearly an NFL talent, at least on a special teams basis. It just kind of rings true to me that there's something more than his arrest holding him back. Whether that's a KF "blackball" just doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

I hope you aren't getting that out of what I said. I like the guy, always have. Just don't think the NFL talent is there.

No that wasnt directed at you. There are so many people that now say they knew all along that DJK wouldnt get in the NFL. A year ago no one was saying that.

This is also the case with many players. Jewel and Wegher are no different. As soon as they are gone you have people crawling out of the woodwork to say they always thought that they were no good.

Why is there always so much more to the story than meets the eye with DJK?

Marginal NFL talent? I don't know. Big difference between saying he isn't an "elite" top 2 or 3 rounds NFL talent, and calling him "marginal" NFL talent.

How many guys are offered a scholarship to Michigan, end up as the all-time leading receiver at a Big Ten institution rich in football tradition, and lead the conference in kick returns? Throw in the fact he was absolute gamer, often making big plays when his team needed them most, and it's hard to see DJK as a marginal NFL talent.

Ed Hinkel was a marginal NFL talent. I don't recall, but I'm guessing he was at least in an NFL training camp.

Here is what doesn’t make sense…………..8 months after he left Iowa he is STILL a lightning rod. KF is well respected, but he did NOT keep 32 teams from giving DJK a free agent try out. It’s insane. I find myself wishing desperately that he had got invited but then people would concoct some amazing story of how he didn’t “really” get a true shot…..

For 5 long years I have had to listen to certain Iowa fans complain about DJK not getting any love, DJK not getting the ball enuff, DJK not being treated right by KF, DJK not being appreciated by our fans, etc, etc, etc…..

My Lord do people hear themselves…..if ever a kid was placed above the team it was this kid. I don’t think it will ever end. If he got called up tomorrow and crashed and burned somehow it would be KF’s fault. Our even the fans fault because we didn’t appreciate him….it is truly one of the most remarkable phenomenon’s I have ever seen.

Chad

Latest posts