Better question: Does a loss tomorrow land us in a play in game?

I still consider the "first four" to be play-in games, regardless of what the NCAA has officially branded them as. These games are what they are: A small group of teams that are trying to join the field of 64. Once you have the field of 64, that's when the tournament really kicks off in earnest. Play-in games are exactly what these games feel like to me.

This whole discussion tells me that we all just really need some actual basketball to talk about again... Tomorrow night can't get here soon enough.

It is the field of 68 now. You are "in" the tournament even if you are in the first round. By your logic, Iowa is not in the Big 10 tournament...they are in a "play in" game.

Totally different

Not really.

To say teams 65-68 are not "in" the NCAA tournament is not true. They are. Just like teams 5-12 in the Big 10 are "in" the Big 10 tournament. Saying teams 65-68 have play in games is the same as saying teams 5-12 have play in games in the BTT.

Basically 64 teams have "byes" in the NCAA tournament, just like teams 1-4 have byes in the BTT.