Better question: Does a loss tomorrow land us in a play in game?

JonnyGuido

Having looked at the bubble teams and their resumes, I have little doubt Iowa is in the tourney win or lose tomorrow night. BUT, if things fall wrong, Iowa may land in a play in game. This would be terrible and so like an Iowa team; we would make the tourney, but would probably lose thereby leaving a horrible taste in Hawkeye mouths. I actually think we sneak by NU and then get housed by MSU, land a 9 seed in the tourney, look good in the first half of that game, then lose a close one in the first round. That is just my gut speaking, and after all the pasta my nana fed me last night, my gut is growing and is all knowing.

Could happen if Iowa were to poop the bed tomorrow night in Indianapolis. I actually think winning a play in game gives you a better chance of advancing to the Sweet 16 then being an 8 or a 9 seed does.

IF you can win that play in game, you would get either a 5 or 6 in the 2nd round and then more than likely a 3 or 4 in the 3rd round.

The big if of course would be making sure you win that Tuesday game.

Could happen if Iowa were to poop the bed tomorrow night in Indianapolis. I actually think winning a play in game gives you a better chance of advancing to the Sweet 16 then being an 8 or a 9 seed does.

IF you can win that play in game, you would get either a 5 or 6 in the 2nd round and then more than likely a 3 or 4 in the 3rd round.

The big if of course would be making sure you win that Tuesday game.

Interesting thought. I'll pass on that scenario though because it means a loss to NW tomorrow and an extra game Iowa has to win just to join the field of 64. This wouldn't be an easy path to a Sweet 16, but I guess it's no worse than having to beat an 8/9 seed, and then a 1 seed. Of course, there are no easy paths to the sweet 16.

If Iowa is going to avoid that 8-9 situation, I obviously would much rather it be because they make a run this week/weekend.

I think it depends on how Nebby plays. If Nebby plays strong, I think they take a 9 or 10 seed and we land on bubble.

The play-in game is not the tournament.

At what point do people stop saying this?

In the mid-90's did people consider the first round of the baseball playoffs "not the playoffs" because they expanded from 2 to 4 teams in each league?

Now is the wild card game in the MLB postseason "not the playoffs"?

How about when the NFL expands their playoffs, which will happen sooner rather than later? Is the first round of that "not the playoffs"?

At what point do people stop saying this?

In the mid-90's did people consider the first round of the baseball playoffs "not the playoffs" because they expanded from 2 to 4 teams in each league?

Now is the wild card game in the MLB postseason "not the playoffs"?

How about when the NFL expands their playoffs, which will happen sooner rather than later? Is the first round of that "not the playoffs"?

There's a reason it's called the "play-in", because you have to win to "play in" the real tournament. Separate entity.

There's a reason it's called the "play-in", because you have to win to "play in" the real tournament. Separate entity.

This is essentially what it is. For the sake of argument, there are 68 teams currently in the tournament. Only 4 play in the first "round". The other 64 teams await a couple days later. Those 4 four teams are essentially playing play-in games.

If we want to call those "first four" a part of the tournament, then where do you draw the line? Are conference tournaments also part of the NCAA Tournament? You win your conference tournament, and you move on to the play in the NCAA Tournament, right?

To me, the actual NCAA Tournament begins on Thursday.

Now, if there were an additional couple dozen teams or so playing in what today is called the "first round", then I'd be more inclined to consider it a REAL round. Kind of like Thursday's games in the BTT where there are 8 teams playing on Thursday, with 4 teams awaiting on Friday.

Except its called the 1st Round now. It was the play in game when they expanded to 65 teams and it was the 2 lowest 16 seeds playing in Dayton, Ohio for the right to go get their heads stomped by the #1 overall team in the tourney.

Except its called the 1st Round now. It was the play in game when they expanded to 65 teams and it was the 2 lowest 16 seeds playing in Dayton, Ohio for the right to go get their heads stomped by the #1 overall team in the tourney.

Show me another tournament and also use your examples in your previous post to show me where the 1st round of any playoff or tournament has x number of teams in it and the 2nd round has 8 times as many. They can call it whatever they want but it is what it is and it's a play in game to get in to the real tournament.

Also, I would be extremely embarrassed if a 2014 NCAA tournament banner was hung in CHA after losing in the "1st Round" as you like to call it.

play in game is a joke and a waste of time. Who cares if 2 additional teams get left out.

And I refuse to to take part in a bracket pool that wants me to pick a winner of those play in games!!

Don't tell me this.... I might root for a loss.

Ok I won't but I wouldn't mind being a 10 seed rather than an 8-9.

If offered a choice between a 10, and an 8/9, I take the 10 without hesitation.

I'm with you on the play in games. No matter how many teams they have in the tournament, someone will always whine about being left out. It's inevitable. 64 teams was the perfect number, and nobody cares about the other 4 teams unless one of them pulls a VCU and makes a run.

For the record, I've never participated in a pool that actually expects you to pick the play in games. Another clue that it's not REALLY a part of the true tournament. I know what the NCAA officially calls them, but they are what they are.

Show me another tournament and also use your examples in your previous post to show me where the 1st round of any playoff or tournament has x number of teams in it and the 2nd round has 8 times as many. They can call it whatever they want but it is what it is and it's a play in game to get in to the real tournament.

Also, I would be extremely embarrassed if a 2014 NCAA tournament banner was hung in CHA after losing in the "1st Round" as you like to call it.

The "play-in" games as you call them are officially the 1st round of the NCAA tournament, also trademarked by the NCAA as the "First Four". People here aren't making that up out of thin air, that is what it is officially called and it is the First Round of the tournament. Most teams start play in the Second Round of the tournament.

The main reasoning for the addition of these extra teams was because there have been so many new AQ's added over the years that they needed to add seeds.

Just because you don't consider it part of the tournament doesn't mean it's not.

The "play-in" games as you call them are officially the 1st round of the NCAA tournament, also trademarked by the NCAA as the "First Four". People here aren't making that up out of thin air, that is what it is officially called and it is the First Round of the tournament. Most teams start play in the Second Round of the tournament.

The main reasoning for the addition of these extra teams was because there have been so many new AQ's added over the years that they needed to add seeds.

Just because you don't consider it part of the tournament doesn't mean it's not.

Ya-huh.

I wasnt the one that decided to structure the NCAA tourney the way it is now so I dont have to defend it. But to act like the 1st round isnt a part of the tournament just because you dont like it is stupid.

Not too many years ago, the NCAA tournament was 24 teams. 8 teams received byes, while the other 16 had a "play-in" game. Under your ridiculous logic, those 16 teams weren't in the tournament either.

Any invitation to the NCAA tournament, regardless of seed, should be coveted and is a significant achievement for a school that hasn't been to the tournament since 2006.

Fran's bonus is predicated on making the NCAA tournament, even as the lowest possible seed.

Latest posts