Bets that KF hangs it up

Will Ferentz retire or hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kirk (196) needs 10 more wins to pass Woody Hayes (205) for #2. Could do that next year or more likely within 2 years at his average win %.
Kirk needs 37 more wins to pass Amos Alonzo Stagg (232) for #1. At his average win % that would take about 55 game, or 5 years.
Yeah, I don't see him getting to #1. I should have said in my earlier post he wants to pass Woody Hayes.

Isn't there a B1G record that is climbing up the ladder on as well?

Iowa's 2024 schedule.
vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
at UCLA, November 9, 2024
at Maryland, November 23, 2024
vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Is there anything special about this schedule that is worth sticking around for? Hosting Washington? Playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl stadium?

At this point, Ferentz has seen it all except for making the playoffs, or actually winning the actual Rose Bowl game.

So about the only thing worth it for Kirk sticking around is to get Iowa in the playoffs and/or maybe Iowa winning The actual Rose Bowl game. The Rose Bowl game will be a CFP quarterfinal in the 2024&2025 seasons. So the odds of winning the actual Rose Bowl game in 2024-2025 are low. But at least maybe Ferentz can beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl Stadium.

Iowa's 2024 schedule.
vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
at UCLA, November 9, 2024
at Maryland, November 23, 2024
vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Is there anything special about this schedule that is worth sticking around for? Hosting Washington? Playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl stadium?
No. Surely not. We should all bail out and become Iowa State fans. Please. Lead the way.

I don’t see these players (Higgins, Castro, Harris, Lachey) returning if Kirk wasn’t going to be the coach. And simply put Kirk is too loyal of a person to not be honest w/ his players about his intentions.
No doubt... That would be a pretty big kick to those players nuts for KF to retire in a month or so after it's too late for those guys to go pro. KF is the last coach that would pull something like that on his players. There's lots of coaches out there that would without hesitation but not him.

Farence isn't gonna change shit and you guys know it. Whatever OC is brought in here will be a 'meh' yes-man that very few people have ever heard of, McNamara will be the QB and have a Petras stat line, they'll still throw the ball 2 yds horizontally on 3rd and 11, and punt the ball more yards than they gain on offense.

And people here will still be confounded as to why it happens as if they haven't watched Iowa football for the last decade.

At this point, Ferentz has seen it all except for making the playoffs, or actually winning the actual Rose Bowl game.

So about the only thing worth it for Kirk sticking around is to get Iowa in the playoffs and/or maybe Iowa winning The actual Rose Bowl game. The Rose Bowl game will be a CFP quarterfinal in the 2024&2025 seasons. So the odds of winning the actual Rose Bowl game in 2024-2025 are low. But at least maybe Ferentz can beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl Stadium.

I don't even view the Rose Bowl as the Rose Bowl anymore, at least not since the BCS started and now playoffs. I don't even think that's the bar anymore, except that it is incorporated into the playoff system.

I mean the bar is to win the conference championship to get into the playoffs and play in whatever big bowl is involved with the playoffs. It's all about the playoffs now, as far as a bar for legit teams.

I don't even view the Rose Bowl as the Rose Bowl anymore, at least not since the BCS started and now playoffs. I don't even think that's the bar anymore, except that it is incorporated into the playoff system.

I mean the bar is to win the conference championship to get into the playoffs and play in whatever big bowl is involved with the playoffs. It's all about the playoffs now, as far as a bar for legit teams.
It appears the bar is 6 B10 wins & a mid-tier bowl

Last edited:
Someone mentioned in passing that Beth has a presser scheduled for next week...ostensibly routine... No news on the OC front. Gang, its just not that difficult to get an offensive coordinator. Im starting to think KF is going to anounce retirement.

I think there is also less of a rush since Iowa has no scholarships. I am wondering if there is someone on his list that maybe is interviewing for head coaching vacancies, and with our results on offense the last couple years, I am assuming not many are super interested. Throw in the premise that the offense is not likely going to change. I cannot see many signing up.

If KF is not planning on allowing some autonomy by the OC, I doubt there is much rush.

Someone mentioned in passing that Beth has a presser scheduled for next week...ostensibly routine... No news on the OC front. Gang, its just not that difficult to get an offensive coordinator. Im starting to think KF is going to anounce retirement.
All yr long I'd been on this train thinking this. But then when I'd seen Brad Henrichs had said prior to the bowl game that KF was all in on hiring a new OC I thought I better change my tune on it. But now here we are 3 plus weeks later with no OC in sight. I'm not sure what to think. It'd be such a huge kick to the nuts of all the 6 yr guys coming back Nick Jackson Higgins etc for KF to hang it up now I just can't see him doing it. He's made promises to a lot of people I would think and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just quit now.

I would really just like to know sooner then later one way or the other what's what.

Kind of wondering to. Also, are they waiting for some NFL teams to end their playoff run if they have someone pegged still playing?

we have an Assistant HC named. Phil is retained. some semblence of continuity would be in place.

Kirk may not be looking for an OC gentlemen, he may be recruiting his replacement.

Kind of wondering to. Also, are they waiting for some NFL teams to end their playoff run if they have someone pegged still playing?
What makes me nervous about if it's someone like that is he's not going after a current NFL OC. So if he's going after a position coach who most likely has no experience at calling plays that'd be pretty problematic... It'd be like day 1 of when BF took over again pretty much. KF leading the guy around on a short leash. So I hope that's not the case... But anyones guess is as good as mine.

we have an Assistant HC named. Phil is retained. some semblence of continuity would be in place.

Kirk may not be looking for an OC gentlemen, he may be recruiting his replacement.
Why on earth would Chryst have turned that down if so?

Kurt wouldn't have named Wallace as assistant HC if he was gonna bail. If they hired a new coach everyone on the staff would be gone. Phil ain't gonna work for anyone but Farence at Iowa, he'd take the dismissal and all the free money left on his now bigger contract.

Why on earth would Chryst have turned that down if so?

Chryst let the program go a bit in Wisconsin. Their recruiting apparatus was broken. He's not HC material right now. Maybe he's working on a few things personally while enjoying a less demanding job

Kurt wouldn't have named Wallace as assistant HC if he was gonna bail. If they hired a new coach everyone on the staff would be gone. Phil ain't gonna work for anyone but Farence at Iowa, he'd take the dismissal and all the free money left on his now bigger contract.

This is correct. Eventually everyone retires or dies, but it won’t be this year for sure for Kurt. Hard to walk away from seven million a year and ego building historical stats.

However, taking this long to hire an OC isn’t a good thing, Unless he is looking at an assistant in the NFL among the four teams still playing. That might make sense, but that is just a guess on my part.

Latest posts