Bets that KF hangs it up

Will Ferentz retire or hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chryst let the program go a bit in Wisconsin. Their recruiting apparatus was broken. He's not HC material right now. Maybe he's working on a few things personally while enjoying a less demanding job
I think he turned down being Iowa's OC over the combination of $ and not having the full autonomy to run what he wants. If he'd have been given those AND the HC in waiting type of distinction even if just on the downlow he's not turning it down. Iowa's a hell of a job what's he or most guys going to get that's better? Iowa's a top 15 job when you combine everything it has going for it.

Not much else makes sense for him to rather stay an analyst at Texas over that. I haven't heard about other schools interviewing him for OC gigs or anything else. Woulda been fascinating to have been a fly on the wall during their talks though that's for sure.

Iowa's 2024 schedule.
vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
at UCLA, November 9, 2024
at Maryland, November 23, 2024
vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Is there anything special about this schedule that is worth sticking around for? Hosting Washington? Playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl stadium?
I'd say it's special in that Iowa could win 10 or 11 games against that schedule.

I think he turned down being Iowa's OC over the combination of $ and not having the full autonomy to run what he wants. If he'd have been given those AND the HC in waiting type of distinction even if just on the downlow he's not turning it down. Iowa's a hell of a job what's he or most guys going to get that's better? Iowa's a top 15 job when you combine everything it has going for it.

Not much else makes sense for him to rather stay an analyst at Texas over that. I haven't heard about other schools interviewing him for OC gigs or anything else. Woulda been fascinating to have been a fly on the wall during their talks though that's for sure.
Greg Davis and Brain Farents both got absolutely crucified the entire time they were here, who realistically would want that job if they had even one more option in P5 football?

Greg Davis and Brain Farents both got absolutely crucified the entire time they were here, who realistically would want that job if they had even one more option in P5 football?
I think OCs most places are punching bags though. I bet less then 10 programs would say they are 'happy' with their OCs. Chryst took his fair share of punches while at Wisconsin I don't think that woulda been much of a worry. But getting market rate for his services and being able to run what he wants without KF intervening are legit concerns for any OC but especially one with the resume Chryst does.

Chryst didn't turn down Iowa to be an OC anywhere else he did it to remain an analyst as far as we know so far. That's a step down from being a position coach and it's quite the vague title it's hard to say what his responsibilities even are. I could be wrong I'm just guessing by what I think makes sense. It'd sure be fun to know him and what's what with his reasons. He has a nephew on Iowas staff already too. It's just wild

we have an Assistant HC named. Phil is retained. some semblence of continuity would be in place.

Kirk may not be looking for an OC gentlemen, he may be recruiting his replacement.

Proctor never blinked at coming back to Iowa without an OC in place. If KF was planning on leaving I'd think he'd share that info with Proctor prior to his decision. Either KF is leaving and Proctor likes the replacement plan or KF stays and they have the OC and waiting to announce. Who knows! Will it be that Rees guy from Alabama with a package deal?

Could be a few moving parts being announced, IMO.

Depends on the $$$$ they pay. Everybody has a breaking point. Might have to pay an up and comer from a lower div team to get a warm body in there!

Proctor never blinked at coming back to Iowa without an OC in place. If KF was planning on leaving I'd think he'd share that info with Proctor prior to his decision. Either KF is leaving and Proctor likes the replacement plan or KF stays and they have the OC and waiting to announce. Who knows! Will it be that Rees guy from Alabama with a package deal?

Could be a few moving parts being announced, IMO.
Would love to know how in depth Proctor was with KF with his questions. Surely he had some.

Rees I believe was in the news yesterday. He's probably going to the Cleveland Browns it sounds like as a TE coach...

Kind of wondering to. Also, are they waiting for some NFL teams to end their playoff run if they have someone pegged still playing?

I see I am not the only one that brought this thought up. Just getting caught up on some of the reading and conjecture.

Originally I just came on hawkeye nation to read what people were saying about injuries and any insight they might have on recruiting.

Once in a while someone knows a family member of a recruit or has an association of some kind and things leak out.

Kirk has kept things pretty hush hush so far on the search for an OC.

Lol, you make me laugh when you play with names like you do.

KOK also used to get terrible phone calls from fans on a regular basis, usually answered by his family members because he was always at the office.

KOK and Davis both averaged ~26 ppg. That's how bad Brain was. He made 26 ppg look like air raid numbers. We'd have killed for 26 ppg the past few years.

Tim Lester
I guess he saw himself going to Troy as a major step back in his career. If he goes from 15 ppg to 25 ppg he's a hero and he sees his career back on track. With improved line play and a QB that weighs less than our left tackle, he thinks he can do it. Also a much nicer paycheck.

Would love to know how in depth Proctor was with KF with his questions. Surely he had some.

Rees I believe was in the news yesterday. He's probably going to the Cleveland Browns it sounds like as a TE coach...
Proctor will be here 2 years, maybe 3. Kirk will be here that long, but that may be it.

KOK also used to get terrible phone calls from fans on a regular basis, usually answered by his family members because he was always at the office.

KOK and Davis both averaged ~26 ppg. That's how bad Brain was. He made 26 ppg look like air raid numbers. We'd have killed for 26 ppg the past few years.

28-13 over the last 3 years, all while averaging 19.1 pts/game. How many extra wins would an extra TD per game have gotten us? I am guessing at least five. A record of 33-8 (80%) over a 3 year span would be pretty sweet.

28-13 over the last 3 years, all while averaging 19.1 pts/game. How many extra wins would an extra TD per game have gotten us? I am guessing at least five. A record of 33-8 (80%) over a 3 year span would be pretty sweet.
.....and if they don't luck out and hit on an all world punter, that record above is not near where it ended up. Seriously, how many wins was Tory Taylor worth anyway?

The problem with Iowa's style the last couple years with its offensive woes is that there was absolutely no room for error and they had to perform at elite levels in the other two phases of the game. That is too much pressure for a program. Ya got to have some offense to stay in those games against top teams, and that reared its ugly head when playing them. They had absolutely no room for error when relying on the D and ST to keep pulling them up.

Latest posts