Bets that KF hangs it up

Will Ferentz retire or hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No, because he would have announced already to give the University time to replace him.

If he hires another Brian with Brian results at OC then he has two years left before he is finally terminated.

5ywJ1A.gif

You've got 17.5% in T-bills amortized over the fiscal year, 8% in stocks and bonds. Carry the 9, divide by the Gross National Product... unfortunately, Ferentz is still owed a shit ton of money by the U of I. Bottomline, he stays a bit longer.

As long as he can continue to win at least 7 games/year, his health remains good, and he continues to make more money per year than the highest paid player (from NIL) on his team, I think he'll coach indefinitely.

I thought earlier in the season that this would be his last, but now I don't think so.
Resigning would leave way too much money on the table. A negotiated resignation or outright termination in a year or two would be much more profitable.
I also think he wants to stay on to pass Woody Hayes for #2 in wins by B10 coaches, which would require 10 more wins.
That said, he will need to keep his win % above 60% for the HoF requirement.
Unlikely he would win 10 games next year - which would meet both goals.
More likely he will need to win 15 or more games in the next two years, and then call it a day.

I thought earlier in the season that this would be his last, but now I don't think so.
Resigning would leave way too much money on the table. A negotiated resignation or outright termination in a year or two would be much more profitable.
I also think he wants to stay on to pass Woody Hayes for #2 in wins by B10 coaches, which would require 10 more wins.
That said, he will need to keep his win % above 60% for the HoF requirement.
Unlikely he would win 10 games next year - which would meet both goals.
More likely he will need to win 15 or more games in the next two years, and then call it a day.
. Barta & Kirk good old boys club….. too many years contact!!!!

Prior to this season and throughout it I thought this was going to be it for him. But about a month ago or so even prior to bowl prep when Brad Henrichs the head of the NIL Swarm had let it be known that KF was seriously diving head first into looking for a new OC I changed my mind. Cause I was of the mindset that he just wouldn't do it and would be retiring. So unless he pulled the rug over the eyes of Brad or changed his mind since I think he's going to make a hire in the next week or 2 and keep coaching....

If he was gonna retire he would have announced it long before now.
That's tough to say.... I don't see him wanting any kind of this is my last yr rodeo circus kind of thing for him. Even for a game or two he wouldn't want that 'distraction' for his team and it makes sense I totally get it.

I coulda easily seen him sometime after the bowl game just announcing that was it if it was. Be it now or next yr or whenever he does it. Feels to me like he's going to hire a new OC and I bet he's got 2 more yrs in him. Maybe 3 but that's stretching it. We'll see.. I didn't feel this way even a month ago though so obviously my mind can be changed on it.

Agree with this. And, I believe he wants the B1G victory record.
Kirk (196) needs 10 more wins to pass Woody Hayes (205) for #2. Could do that next year or more likely within 2 years at his average win %.
Kirk needs 37 more wins to pass Amos Alonzo Stagg (232) for #1. At his average win % that would take about 55 game, or 5 years.

Last edited:
He pays attention to his legacy. Very human. He does not want his last two years, with terrible optics, be the last memory. He will rebuild the O and that will be what is remembered. 2-3 years? 4?
Fine with me.
I'd love that. I don't know that he's actually capable of doing it, though.

I don’t see these players (Higgins, Castro, Harris, Lachey) returning if Kirk wasn’t going to be the coach. And simply put Kirk is too loyal of a person to not be honest w/ his players about his intentions.
Agree with this. I think Kirk will have a heavy hand in succession plans, or at least know that there is a feasible plan in place that recruits and players will be comfortable with.

Latest posts