Best of the Decade: Offensive Player (VOTE!)

Best Offensive Player of the Decade

• Drew Tate

Votes: 68 25.7%
  • Brad Banks

Votes: 55 20.8%
  • Nate Kaeding

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Robert Gallery

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Shonn Greene

Votes: 78 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Drew Tate. I'm not voting for one and doners.

Then you should have voted for Gallery. I would say Tate was a one and doner. He had 2004 and that's it, unless you thought 2005 (7-5) and 2006 (6-7) were something to hang his hat on. I would take Banks or Stanzi over Tate any day.

Then you should have voted for Gallery. I would say Tate was a one and doner. He had 2004 and that's it, unless you thought 2005 (7-5) and 2006 (6-7) were something to hang his hat on. I would take Banks or Stanzi over Tate any day.

You do know that Tate's 2005 season was actually better, statistically, than his 2004 season, right? The reason for the worse record was more on the defense than it was the QB...

Did you guys play the National Champion that year? Oh you didn't? Ok. Michigan and Penn St had 7 losses between them. They weren't very good that year at all.

What has Banks done in the CFL? He barely plays. All I am saying is if he is as talented as Jon Miller says he is then he would be playing somewhere. He's not

As a Cyclone fan it is impossible for you to understand the joy and excitement we enjoyed during the 2002 season...agree to disagree i guess.

Last point is that post college success or failure has no reflection or bearing on what he accomplished his senior season at iowa. Colt McCoy is the all time leader in wins in college football history and he is projected to be a middle round pick. Tim Tebow is arguable the greatest player in college fb history and he might not be good enough to play qb in the NFL.

As a Cyclone fan it is impossible for you to understand the joy and excitement we enjoyed during the 2002 season...agree to disagree i guess.

I don't really get what this means. I fully understand why Iowa fans were excited about 2002. Who wouldn't?!?!

That Iowa team was great. Balanced, tough, and the best Hawkeye team in my lifetime. I am not taking anything away from that team at all. My only argument in this thread in Brad Banks. I don't think he is as great as others do I guess. I think he benefited from playing with future NFL players. That's my argument

Sorry if I got off base by saying the Big 10 wasn't great that year (I like to make fun of the big 10 if you can't tell :D)

You do know that Tate's 2005 season was actually better, statistically, than his 2004 season, right? The reason for the worse record was more on the defense than it was the QB...

Tate takes a lot of heat for the record but he also had the worst luck in terms of who he played with. Had he been a few years older he'd have been able to play with the best Iowa o-line, TE, and kicker ever. A few years younger he'd have gotten the second best o-line in the Ferentz era o go along with maybe the best pure runningback in Iowa history.

Iowa would have been undefeated either this year or in 2002 with Tate as the quarterback.

Tate takes a lot of heat for the record but he also had the worst luck in terms of who he played with. Had he been a few years older he'd have been able to play with the best Iowa o-line, TE, and kicker ever. A few years younger he'd have gotten the second best o-line in the Ferentz era o go along with maybe the best pure runningback in Iowa history.

Iowa would have been undefeated either this year or in 2002 with Tate as the quarterback.

As much as I hate that guy, this is true. Tate was better than Banks

You aren't going to get an argument from me on any of that. I was always a Tate supporter, even in 2006 when things got "interesting."

I'm opening up a can of worms here but Brad Banks is the most overrated player in Iowa history. Good QB but was a product of the UNREAL talent around him

BEST OL in Iowa history
BEST TE in Iowa history
BEST K in Iowa History
BEST Safety in Iowa History
Good WR's
Good to GREAT DL
Good RB's

He was on a star studded cast

Cyclone fan I have to respectfully disagree with you. The "most overrated player in Iowa history"? That might be the 2nd most absurd statement I've read on a message board, behind the people suggesting that Ames High would beat the Hawkeyes in basketball (Iowa would win that game by 50 points). By your reasoning, any player that has talent around them can't be considered great. Do you know not think that Tebow, McCoy, Bradford, etc. don't have SIGNIFICANT advantages in talent in nearly every collegiate game they've played?

Banks had a load of talent around him, no question about it. But the list of talented teams over the history of college football that have been held back or worse ruined because of quarterback play is miles long. I believe Banks had 25 TD's and only 4 picks that year, or something like that. His ability to make every throw in the Iowa offense with great accuracy (not a great arm but was very accurate) and to consistently beat teams with his legs was just phenomenal. I can't tell you how many teams we ran the QB draw that year to convert on a 3rd and long. No other QB in our history gave us that element on offense.

I can understand the Tate and Greene votes on here, but just think Banks was the most important player on the best Iowa team since 1985 and thus deserves this award.

Though he only played 1 full season my pick is Shonn, no other player (imo) commanded so much effort from a D to stop just one player. Teams would stack the box knowing that Shonn was going to get the ball yet he finished every game he started with 100+ yds. Greene was truly a NFL caliber player playing college ball.

Gallery was great, and quite the personality, but had to go with all the others before him, and putting Iowa City's own Kaeding at the top because he was such a sure thing -- and for all 4 years! Consistency and greatness.

Kaeding, too. I remember the MN game his senior yesr. Just B4 halftime, the Hawks line up for a 54-55 yd try. Mn coach called time out to "ice" Nate. During the TO, he was on the sidelines laughing & joking around w/a couple of guys then went out and drilled it. Would have been good from 65. Best "money" player ever @ Iowa.

Cyclone fan I have to respectfully disagree with you. The "most overrated player in Iowa history"? That might be the 2nd most absurd statement I've read on a message board, behind the people suggesting that Ames High would beat the Hawkeyes in basketball (Iowa would win that game by 50 points). By your reasoning, any player that has talent around them can't be considered great. Do you know not think that Tebow, McCoy, Bradford, etc. don't have SIGNIFICANT advantages in talent in nearly every collegiate game they've played?

Banks had a load of talent around him, no question about it. But the list of talented teams over the history of college football that have been held back or worse ruined because of quarterback play is miles long. I believe Banks had 25 TD's and only 4 picks that year, or something like that. His ability to make every throw in the Iowa offense with great accuracy (not a great arm but was very accurate) and to consistently beat teams with his legs was just phenomenal. I can't tell you how many teams we ran the QB draw that year to convert on a 3rd and long. No other QB in our history gave us that element on offense.

I can understand the Tate and Greene votes on here, but just think Banks was the most important player on the best Iowa team since 1985 and thus deserves this award.

By me saying that Banks was overrated does not mean I am saying that he was not good. I am just saying he isn't as good as some of you make him out to be. For all the reasons I listed above

And if you honestly think Iowa would beat Ames by 50 than you sir are off your rocker. Iowa by 15....maybe. Look at the starting 5 for each team. No height advantage for Iowa. No athletic advantage for Iowa.

My top three choices aren't even options on the poll

1 Clark That Purdue game was one of the greatest individual performances I've ever seen.
2 Hinkel Clutch, no drops, great blocker, 4 year starter, winner, smart, and clutch.
3 Russel He was amazing, if his top end speed was better he'd have had unreal numbers
4 Greene He had the best individual offensive season in my mind. He played in two other seasons. He also is in my mind the most talented Hawkeye ever.
5 Banks They guy should have been atleast a two year starter. There is a good reason Mc Caan was booed against Michigan. It was obvious to a lot of fans that Banks was better. To me a cyclown fan over here ragging on Banks is because they are still jealous that Banks outshined their best player ever (Wallace) that year. If he had started for four years He'd have won atleast 35 games.

I can't go with Tate because he got worse after his sophmore year. Kaeding to me is a ST player. I can totally understand the arguement for Gallery. Id' probably put him 6th.

Kaeding, too. I remember the MN game his senior yesr. Just B4 halftime, the Hawks line up for a 54-55 yd try. Mn coach called time out to "ice" Nate. During the TO, he was on the sidelines laughing & joking around w/a couple of guys then went out and drilled it. Would have been good from 65. Best "money" player ever @ Iowa.

I was in the NW corner during that game. I've never heard a similar "explosion" than when Kaeding's foot hit that ball on that FG try...it sounded like a gunshot. It hit halfway up on the net in the north endzone, so I agree that it would have been good from 65!

I was in the NW corner during that game. I've never heard a similar "explosion" than when Kaeding's foot hit that ball on that FG try...it sounded like a gunshot. It hit halfway up on the net in the north endzone, so I agree that it would have been good from 65!

Actually, he kicked it to the SOUTH endzone

My top three choices aren't even options on the poll

1 Clark That Purdue game was one of the greatest individual performances I've ever seen.
2 Hinkel Clutch, no drops, great blocker, 4 year starter, winner, smart, and clutch.
3 Russel He was amazing, if his top end speed was better he'd have had unreal numbers
4 Greene He had the best individual offensive season in my mind. He played in two other seasons. He also is in my mind the most talented Hawkeye ever.
5 Banks They guy should have been atleast a two year starter. There is a good reason Mc Caan was booed against Michigan. It was obvious to a lot of fans that Banks was better. To me a cyclown fan over here ragging on Banks is because they are still jealous that Banks outshined their best player ever (Wallace) that year. If he had started for four years He'd have won atleast 35 games.

I can't go with Tate because he got worse after his sophmore year. Kaeding to me is a ST player. I can totally understand the arguement for Gallery. Id' probably put him 6th.

You must have missed all the Tate discussions earlier in the thread.

1) His numbers were better in 2005 than in 2004
2) The less than stellar defense field in 2005 and 2006 should count against him as a player
3) 2006 he was injured almost the entire year

I'm not voting, Dallas Clark is my pick.

I was going to say - Dallas Clark should probably be in the list. It was a tough call, but in the end, I voted for Shonn Greene. 2nd place in my mind was Banks, but I went with Greene because Banks had considerably more talent around him on that offense than Greene did. It doesn't hurt when you have a great offensive line protecting you, good talent at running back, and the following receivers to throw to: Dallas Clark, Mo Brown, Clinton Solomon, CJ Jones and Ed Hinkel. SG did it mostly on his own!

Last edited:
I have to give it to gallery. Banks and Greene were superb but only for one year. Tate really stunk it up his senior year and got benched in a couple of games. it was a tough call between Kaeding and Gallery but Gallery was out there for every play, Kaeding was not. Plus I have a soft spot for linemen.

Latest posts