Best of the Decade: Offensive Player (VOTE!)

Best Offensive Player of the Decade

• Drew Tate

Votes: 68 25.7%
  • Brad Banks

Votes: 55 20.8%
  • Nate Kaeding

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Robert Gallery

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Shonn Greene

Votes: 78 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Although I thing a strong case could be made for Gallery, I voted of Nate. In my mind when you talk "Greatest Player" you have to include consistency as well as numbers and Nate was lights out. Let me explain

While Tate's numbers were great, the dude was a headcase and nowhere close to a leader. A QB must have those qualities to be great. In addition he peaked in his sophomore season (Cap One) and didn't really do anything great from there.

Banks had an outstanding 2002 season, but I remember sitting in Kinnick in 2001 and watching him make some bonehead plays. I understand that all players go through this but 2001 was the season that I was introduced to Iowa Football so I remember it clearly and in my mind he was not the "Greatest" of the Decade.

If Greene had returned this season and posted the same numbers as he did last season he would have been the clear choice for the decade's greatest... as well as the 2009 Heisman. Unfortunately for us he didn't and as far as I'm concerned he'll simply be known as a great "one-hit-wonder". And I mean that in a good way.

+1 for Dallas Clark getting at least onto the list, not just HM

Last edited:
so was Gallery a consensus All American like Greene? I know Banks wasn't, but he was awesome ... tough call

Last edited:
Gallery wasn't just a consensus All-American he won the Outland Trophy...best offensive or defensive linemen in the country.

Gallery wasn't just a consensus All-American he won the Outland Trophy...best offensive or defensive linemen in the country.
that doesn't necessarily mean he reached consensus status, but I was thinking he did

While Tate's numbers were great, the dude was a headcase and nowhere close to a leader. A QB must have those qualities to be great. In addition he peaked in his sophomore season (Cap One) and didn't really do anything great from there.
QUOTE]

Disagree 100%. Tate was consider a field general when they were winning and a headcase when they were losing games. True he could have done somethings different but you can't fault a guy for wanting to win and getting ****** when his teammates don't seem to share the passion.

Gotta be Brad Banks. Could you imagine if he had been the leader for 3+ years?

I'm opening up a can of worms here but Brad Banks is the most overrated player in Iowa history. Good QB but was a product of the UNREAL talent around him

BEST OL in Iowa history
BEST TE in Iowa history
BEST K in Iowa History
BEST Safety in Iowa History
Good WR's
Good to GREAT DL
Good RB's

He was on a star studded cast

I'm opening up a can of worms here but Brad Banks is the most overrated player in Iowa history. Good QB but was a product of the UNREAL talent around him

BEST OL in Iowa history
BEST TE in Iowa history
BEST K in Iowa History
Good WR's
Good to GREAT DL
Good RB's

much of that was in place in 2001 and 2003 as well and they teams weren't nearly as good (yes I know 2003 we finished ranked 8th as well, but there is no comparison) There is something to be said for Banks, and what he did! IMO, the QBs most important job is to convert on 3rd down, and Banks was the best at that I've ever seen at Iowa.

Even though they were great players it is hard to say Shonn or Brad since they only played one season. The anchor of any team is the offensive and defensive lines. For that I have got to vote for Robert Gallery. Not only for his play but for longevity over his career.

BEST OL in Iowa history
BEST TE in Iowa history
BEST K in Iowa History
Good WR's
Good to GREAT DL
Good RB's

Hard to discount a guy who finished 2nd in the heisman - he was GREAT. Without his leadership that team would have lost 4 games instead of 2 imo

Kaeding, technically, is a special teams player.

I put PK's as offensive players, as they only play if there is offense scored, save for one kickoff per game, and punters as defensive players. And since its my poll, that's what we'll go with ;)

I voted Tate. The 2005 offense was much better than the 2004 even though the record didn't reflect it. I think that Tate doesn't get enough credit for his football IQ as he audibled for much of Albert Young's yardage that season. The people who dislike Tate only choose to remember his temper and forget that he never benefitted from a red-shirt year and we have yet to have another QB display his on field intelligence. Also I would love to figure out his completion % if you took out drops for his Junior and Senior campaigns.

When I read the title of the thread the name Brad Banks came immediatley to mind but after thinking about it I voted for Shonn Greene. He was as serious a threat to opposing defenses as anyone to ever play the game. Had he come back this year he would in all likelihood have become Iowa's second Heisman Trophy winner. While all those listed are Iowa greats, Shonn Greene gets my vote.

Latest posts