Bench Mabin for Jackson

Mabin has been absolute garbage in every game he plays. He is a B- tackler and an F-------- coverage corner. Absolute trash and it all stems from his attitude. Word is he came into the season on a short leash

You take this way to seriously.

The d line was not getting pressure mostly because Miami was playing with a tight 5 man front against our 4, and we werent blitzing much.

Just like last year, Mabin gives up almost every big play. He had a couple good defenses but he gives up more than he gains. I agree with replacing him with a player that knows where to be. He is always around the receiver but never turns his head. Always too late to get position.

I'm burying my head in the sand and just believing the softness of Iowa defense today all around was a combination of first game rust and there leader Jewell being in the locker room.

I'm burying my head in the sand and just believing the softness of Iowa defense today all around was a combination of first game rust and there leader Jewell being in the locker room.

At least you're honest about putting your head in the sand. Some out there are actually in denial. I like you.

Just like last year, Mabin gives up almost every big play. He had a couple good defenses but he gives up more than he gains. I agree with replacing him with a player that knows where to be. He is always around the receiver but never turns his head. Always too late to get position.
That is incorrect. Big play by Illinois=King, Big play by Minny=King, Burnt of fake fumble by stanfor=King....I can list all the big plays Lomax gave up also, but hopefully you get the point that Mabin didn't give up 'most' of the big plays. He no doubt had his share, but they didn't even give up that many 'big plays' last year. You must be thinking of 2014....

He did struggle a little, but I only give him half the blame. The d-line was not getting a lot of pressure on some of those drives. It's hard for any CB to cover a receiver for more then 4-5 seconds.
This exactly. Maybin will be fine. He would be finer if he had an instinct to turn his head when WR gives a tell.

The problem was Bahl wasn't afraid at any time during the game.

I'm not ready to completely give up on Mabin but I think Jackson is a very solid backup so it's hard not to wonder

I felt he was suspect last year. But he is the one with experience and he is going to get picked on all year. I would definitely look at subbing in a possible replacement to eventually replace Mabin.

Relax...the only thing to fret about was the lack of penetration at the point of attack on defense...not sure what was going on there, but we didn't disrupt much on the interior...and that was surprising. Miami had two 310 pound guards, so that may have been part of it. As for the rest of the defense, the tackling was little shoddy, but we played very vanilla...and did almost nothing on third down...no raider packages, no blitzes, very few games with the DL. Everyone knows when KF gets up 21 that early against a foe like this...it's going to be an exercise in simple execution without showing much to our next opponents.

Greg Mabin is a good player. He is a valuable member of this defense and he plays his position well. I am happy that this team has so much experience and depth in the secondary.

How could this defense have regressed this much without a significant personnel change?

Middle linebacker is one of the most important defensive players and we went from one of the best in the conference to one who's never played.

The whole defense seemed to prefer torpedo hits versus tackling. I'm really hoping having Jewell back will make a huge difference.

I am hoping the same thing. But a lot of the areas we got torched or played poorly in I do not think the Josey will help with... If he can do something to help put quicker pressure on the ball, the QB, then that'll make a difference. But I do not see that happening...

Our defense is not that great. That was proven against MSU, and that team from the west coach last year. I do not think we have improved. At least we didn't see it yesterday.

Praying to the football gods Josey helps considerably, and we make huge strides from week one to week two!

Latest posts