Basketball success in the state of Iowa since 2000

joker

With Iowa struggling this year, Iowa State about to implode, Drake back to it's usual non-existence, and the Panthers doing well so far, it got me to thinking about the success, or lack thereof, that has been seen since 2000.

Iowa Appearances –
2001 – (Alford beat Creighton, lost to Kentucky-2nd Round)
2005 – (Alford lost to Cincinnati-1stround)
2006 – (Alford lost to Northwestern St.-1st round)

Iowa State Appearances –
2000 – (Eustachy beat Central Conn St, beat Auburn, beat UCLA, lost to Michigan St-Elite Eight)
2001 - (Eustachy lost to Hampton-1st round)
2005 – (Morgan beat Minnesota, lost to North Carolina-2nd round)

Drake Appearances –
2008 - (Keno lost to Western Kentucky-1st round)

UNI Appearances –
2004 - (McDermott lost to Georgia Tech-1st round)
2005 - (McDermott lost to Wisconsin-1st round)
2006 - (McDermott lost to Georgetown-1st round)
2009 – (Jacobson lost to Purdue-1st round)

In the last 10 years:
4 teams
11 appearances
5 wins

Adding insult to injury, the guy with the most recent NCAA win is selling satellite dishes and not even an active coach.

Puts a little context on why...

My God.

That really is just an awful set of statistics there.
Says a lot, doesn't it?

Kevin Stallings said "thanks, but no thanks" to a big pay raise and a chance to stay at basketball powerhouse Vanderbilt rather than come to Iowa.

Re: Puts a little context on why...

Kevin Stallings said "thanks, but no thanks" to a big pay raise and a chance to stay at basketball powerhouse Vanderbilt rather than come to Iowa.

As bad as Iowa is right now under Lickliter, I would prefer not to have Stallings. JMO.

Re: Puts a little context on why...

Now I know you have plain lost your mind.....

"Take a look around here Ellen, we're at the threshold of hell."

Should have been more specific, when Barta hired Lickliter, I didn't want Stallings. That's what I meant. And, yes, I understand that might not make a difference in my insanity.

Didn't Stallings do something at Carver in the past that ****** one or more big wigs off at the Hawkeye Classic? I thought I remembered reading a post about it when Alford left.

And one of those teams was responsible for 3 of those wins. My god, can we please have the 80's and 90's back?

That may be the most alarming stat of all, from Iowa and ISU's perspective.

A few things on this:

1)UNI is a mid-major and Iowa and ISU don't recruit against them
2)UNI has a much easier road to get to the tourney (ie pretty much ANY team has a shot in the MVC tourney)
3)UNI has lost in the first round every time they have been to the tourney. If that is enough to satisfy you then so be it but its not that great
4)One decent player 6'9" and over can pretty much dominate in the MVC because the team they are playing against has no one that can match up with them...so MVC teams just need to find one guy, B10 and B12 you need like 7 of these type of guys to compete
5)UNI head to head against the state schools always go berserker and thinks its a big game but the state schools just think its another game so I don't think it is a good gauge to compare the entire program/team

Why do you say ISU is about to implode?
Their 1st five conferences games:
#1 Texas
@ Nebraska
@ Texas Tech
#3 Kansas
@ Oklahoma

They will struggle on the road, like they always do.
I think they'll start the conference season 0-5, and at that point, it may be too late for them to re-group and finish strong.

I still think Iowa State will find some way to get into the tournament this year.

I would bet all of my substantial fortune that they don't. OK, I meant my extremely modest net worth.:)

ISU won't be an NCAA team. The Big 12 is to tough and ISU isn't.

Latest posts