Basketball passion is alive

I won't be first in line to say I told you so (generally speaking to the masses) when Lickliter turns the program around... but I'll be here.

Again, your optimism glass is always full.

But, what in the world gives you any impression or indication that: a) Lick will turn it around, or, b) Lick will be the HC when things are turned around?

For me, I do not think TL will have any part in either.

Just an opinion.

But, what in the world gives you any impression or indication that: a) Lick will turn it around, or, b) Lick will be the HC when things are turned around?

The definition of faith. The 2nd defintion given below might be relevant here.

faith (fāth)
n.
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.

Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

A set of principles or beliefs.

Another thing about 1985......if you lived in Iowa you could watch just about all Hawkeye mens BB games on free TV.

I just want to get back to what it was like in the 1980's. Like Jon, it was the primetime in my life as I too was born in 1971. My buds & I were at a friends house doing things we were not supposed to be doing at that age while watching the game. I know right where I was when Iowa was up on UNLV by double digits in the elite 8 only to let it slip away. I remember the hurt I felt & lump in my throat after losing that game.

I want that bitter taste & lump back in my throat!!

The definition of faith. The 2nd defintion given below might be relevant here.

faith (fāth)
n.
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.

Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

A set of principles or beliefs.

a) I lost faith once we dipped below 40% of games won with TL at the helm.

b) I will never blend my Faith with the performance, or hopeful performance, of my favorite sports team(s).

Seriously. There is nothing that has happened in the past 2.5 seasons that has given me any indication that Todd Lickliter can turn things around. However, much evidence to the contrary has arrived through performance (or lack thereof) and attrition.

Why do people have to play the stupid I told you so card? So if and when Lickliter does somehow turn things around (which I hope he does) after 4 or however many years it takes of trying you are a genius?

I mean (yes this is a BIT extreme) Cub fans have been saying wait til next year for how long? Sooner or later they will be right too...

Well maybe, and then what? We start over again next year

That's exactly what I said I WON'T BE DOING.

I said the program would be good by 2011. I still feel that. Iowa isn't as good this year as I projected, but some folks didn't even think Iowa would win a Big Ten game and they've won two.

After Jake and the other left, I thought in two years Lick could get Iowa back. I still feel that way - I realize I am in the minority.

But, like I said, I'm not going to be first in line to say I told you so... but I'll still be here.

Again, your optimism glass is always full.

For me, I do not think TL will have any part in either.

Just an opinion.

And that's fine.
The issue I have is with people belly-aching, posting over and over and over again saying that Lick should be fired, etc... that stuff gets old really quick.

I have no issue with people thinking Lick won't get it done.
I think this class with next class gives Iowa a good foundation. If no one leaves this year, there's a great foundation coming back. This system needs experience, once Iowa gets an experienced class, the play will look completely different.

Oh, for cryin' out loud. Are you really going to sit there and whine that you don't like going to CHA because they don't have bigger video monitors? Good grief.

It's the freaking game that counts. NOTHING will serve to significantly improve attendance--not bigger monitors, louder music, cheaper hot dogs, or strippers at half time (well, maybe that last one would work) other than playing exciting basketball and WINNING.

Next thing will be someone complaining that they don't have free wi-fi in the arena.

Totally agree, FB. Except you don't even need exciting BB, you just need to win. Ask Wisconsin.

That's exactly what I said I WON'T BE DOING.

I said the program would be good by 2011. I still feel that. Iowa isn't as good this year as I projected, but some folks didn't even think Iowa would win a Big Ten game and they've won two.

After Jake and the other left, I thought in two years Lick could get Iowa back. I still feel that way - I realize I am in the minority.

But, like I said, I'm not going to be first in line to say I told you so... but I'll still be here.

Didn't mean to single you out Spank. It's the fact of the matter that is annoying. I agree there is a foundation but only time will tell if it's big enough or good enough...

I would love to focus on just the positives. I just don't see them. I would much rather talk about an awesome defensive stop, an ally-oop jam, great ball movement....... I just don't see it. Unfortunately, maybe its just me, the only positive I see is the good hustle and heart we play with. But that doesn't win games.

Dude, if you are going to make a post you should at least watch the games. Eric May has put together quite an impressive highlight reel of athletic blocks. Cully has made some absolutely incredible assists as well as some very impressive drives to the basket. He had incredible assists against tOSU and Ill. The way I see it, they are a very young team that has no depth. Take out the freshman mistakes and the lousy play of little John and we are middle of the big ten.
If you are only interested in wild dunks and allyoops than you can go watch the NBA.
Also on the note of "fun to watch" dunks, we would had a much better shot at victory (within 1 pnt instead of 3) if Cole would have just laid it in instead of trying a showoff dunk (which failed) against Ill.

Eighteen responses by 17 people and it's a basketball revival? :p

A revival of people caring enough to comment. For the most part this year, the basketball season has been an obligatory march towards the future, because that was the only thing that showed any hope...that and football was going on.

But, having been on these boards every single day, and now having a landing page for the forums that is a combination of every forum, its pretty easy to spot how people are trending.

The last 6 days has seen a lot of traffic relative to before.

So perhaps revival isnt the right term..but people are moved to talk about it more now than they have been

I think the lack of success is a big part but like its been said, Its going to be close to 150 bucks for a family of four for tickets, parking, hot dog, cokes. Thats alot to ask for families to go there, plus 18 games a year that is really a lot to ask for. Gary Barta needs to realize his supply of tickets is no where near the price point the demand is and lower tickets.

Comatose, technically, is alive.

I hate February. Having a good BB team makes it tolerable. After LOST, Burn Notice, and Psych there's not much else to watch other than get on the internet . . . and chuckle at some "alternate reality" posts.

The threads/posts regarding Hassel's movie trailer aren't about the basketball team as much as taking cheap shots at a player. And Barta's response. And WHO's response. I know, that's still talking about Iowa BB. Eh, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big lick STILL has to put a decent product on the floor for people to watch and that is the bottom line. He STILL has to put a product on the floor that is exciting to watch, that gets people talking when they leave the game, not shaking their heads about what they have just witnessed.

I don't live in Iowa City anymore but I still have many friends their. Many of them have or had season tickets. Talking with them about games I don't get very good vibes about assessments of this team or the direction that this program. This is from longtime fans. Many no longer attend games or when they do go, they are very discouraged when they leave because like me, they don't enjoy the style of play that Lickliter has brought to Iowa. And most of them can't imagine many more seasons watching this style of ball even if they DO improve. It is just difficult sitting there watching this style of ball.

Iowa needs a coach with charisma right now, a coach with fight...a team with excitement, not a coach who is beat down and looks like he is ready to cry at every press conference and obviously doesn't want to be there or talk to anyone.

Then to top it off, the man has the charisma of a wall. He acts like he is attending a funeral after every game, win or lose. Maybe he is just beat down after 2 1/2 years? If so, then he just needs to leave if he can garner no more excitement. If all he can do is whine and complain and act like his dog died everytime he is interviewed, he would be better off just reaching a settlement and leaving Iowa. He is doing no one any favors -- himself or Iowa.

Latest posts